White & Black Smoke - Hope I didn't trash engine - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy White & Black Smoke - Hope I didn't trash engine

Coming home from camping pulling a 4Klb trailer yesterday, all of a sudden started smoking black - mostly on acceleration or going over mountains. I was in the mountains, 100 miles from home or really anywhere. After initial checks, decided to keep on driving. Temps remained @ normal temps (max 210/221). No power problem, plenty of turbo, and my GPM was as usual for the trip. No loss/mixture of coolant or oil. Starts with no problem but tons of white smoke. No DTC codes. Looks like I burned and blew out what appears to the rolled up corrugated innards of the muffler. My 2006 F350 is still running pretty good.

Pretty sure I cracked or broke an injector tip. Hopefully I didn't ruin my engine. A trip to the local diesel shop is not in the budget. A couple years ago I did a BPD cooler relocate and even replaced one of the injectors. So have bit the bullet and purchased the AE Ford package to hopefully diagnose for the bad injector(s). My plan includes at least running compression tests before injector R&R.Any advice on what to look and test for before expending too much money and effort if the engine may be hosed.

hdude

2006 F350 Lariat CCab Dually FX4, 205K, Bilstein 5100s, EGR Delete, BPD Cooler Relocate, BPD WaterPump, Coolant Filter,

Upgraded BlueSpring and easy to fix common failure points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:42 PM

Go ahead and run the AE and report what codes you get back to us. Then we can have a better idea what suggestions to make.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Initial Testing

Got the AE test software and ran it. Has a P0281 - Cylinder 7 Contribution Failure.
Ran the test to deactivate each cylinder and when all but #7 was disabled, the power dropped. Nothing changed when #7 was disabled (tailpipe still blew white/black smoke).
The balance test showed #7 low @-300 with #1 &#2 @-100, #3 varying from +50 to -200, #4, #5, #6 @0 and #8 @-50. (I replaced #3 5000 miles ago)
All Injectors clicked during buzz test.
FICM runs no lower than 48v.
Smoke is diesel. Doesn't appear to be coolant. No contamination or pressure buildup in cooling system.

I am waiting on compression tester to arrive tonight but probably will be tomorrow.

I am considering to start removing components to get to the injectors.

Any input at this point would be appreciated.

hdude

2006 F350 Lariat CCab Dually FX4, 205K, Bilstein 5100s, EGR Delete, BPD Cooler Relocate, BPD WaterPump, Coolant Filter,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:34 AM

Sounds like you are on the right track. Hope the piston is OK!

2006 F250 Lariat Supercrew, ESOF 4x4, 18" tires, FX 4, HD Alt., block heater, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Upfitters, power rear window, cab lights - delivered 10/25/05

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors, replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty twice, the latest 9/18/2015; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13. Coolant flushed and replaced with Prestone ELC 9/27/14. STC fitting 10/19/14; Dummy Plugs 11/8/14; Turbo rebuilt 11/29/14; cold side CAC tube and boots replaced with metal tube 1/24/15; replaced hot side boots 1/30/16.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Delays. The cheepie compression tester kit does not have an adapter for the 6.0. OTC has one, but only works with their gauge, so I bit the bullet and bought adapter and guage (total price of 1 injector). Looks like it will be next weekend before I can do the compression test.

I am unable to release the injector plug due to clearance issue with intake manifold (to check the bad injector), so buying the OTC 6766.

Anyone have experience with Injector's Direct vs Lincoln Ford for buying MotorCraft Reman Injectors? I bought one from Injectors Direct 2 years ago and have had no problems (yet only 5000 miles on it). The only concerns was the wire color and spool valve was white instead of yellow - also looks like might have been a smaller gauge. I want real MotorCraft reman components.

hdude

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:07 PM

I would not buy from Injectors Direct. AutoNation White Bear Lake (on line) and you can get one for $185.

Consider adding on a fuel pressure sensor and gauge. Low fuel pressure can go undetected and ruin injectors.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Found a tip on removing the injector electrical - use a 12 point 18mm (and not a 6pt like I 1st tried).
So far this project replace 1 or more injectors seems like a lot more work than when I replaced my oil cooler with a BPD relocate kit.
As far as a fuel pressure sensor/gauge, any recommendations. Not that I have had problems and I've already done the blue spring thingy.

hdude

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:57 PM

The regulator spring upgrade is great, but it doesn't help detecting a plugged fuel filter or a failing fuel pump.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Number 7 cracked but intact. Lot of carbon in injector sleeve and body.

Compression Test
#7 375 #8 375
#5 375 #6 340
#3 380 #4 340
#1 375 #2 360

Standpipe & Dummy o-rings good. Rail Nipple Cups showing no wear and the o-rings feel good. Got new Glow Plugs and harness. Replacement Injector on order. Sending Oil sample to Blackstone today
Haven't pulled other injectors yet. No suspicion any are bad and look like OEM. Being the truck has over 200,000 mile, these were probably replaced together in past.

Now to decide how cheap to go. Rather than paying for a proper head gasket and APR studs, job I'd rather spend that money and trade-in towards a 5.0 gas F250. But I could take a chance that the truck will last another 15 to 20,000 miles. I only used the truck a couple thousand miles a year, mainly for trailer camping in the white mountains. Nice truck, but at my age, I really don't like tearing it down.

Input?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No7 Cracked Injector.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	127346  

hdude

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:57 PM

Chances are good that the injectors are original. No reason that they shouldn't be expected to last 200k+ miles.

Mark
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Pulled #8 because it was tested with a minor contribution error a couple years ago when I 1st got the truck. I notice that the #8 lower o-ring is all white, while the one I took out of #7 is actually black with white painted on it - some of which are still left showing on the injector body. Looks like someone replaced the o-ring on #7 sometime in the past. Might as well pull all of the injectors and put in new Motorcraft o-rings.
Note: Found one other with the pseudo want-to-be white o-ring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No7 Oring.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	6.60 MB
ID:	127348  

hdude

Last edited by hdude; 06-21-2019 at 11:23 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

I ordered 1 Injector from AutoNation @ $181 the taxes and shipping added $32 total $213 (Cores are 180 + Tax) Ordered Saturday, got Thur.
I ordered 1 Injector from Injector Direct @ $199. No taxes or shipping (Cores are $100 and I am keeping one for spare) Ordered Tue, got Fri.

Both Injectors are supposed to be OEM Motorcraft. They were identical and I believe to be the real deal. Spool assembly is grey.

Putting it back together with 2 new injectors and new O-rings on the others

hdude

Last edited by hdude; 06-21-2019 at 11:27 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:26 AM

Well, I wish you well w/ the injector from Injector Direct. Probably not a problem - especially since you don't have real long term plans for the truck and it already has quite a few miles!

The key with a remanufactured injector is who does the remanufacturing, not so much whether they start w/ an OEM core (and although a quick visual inspection is always good, it is hard to tell much without a teardown).

Ford uses Pure Power to rebuild the injectors (used to be Siemens, but Pure Power is a spin off company of the Siemens and International joint venture). They do an exceptional job. According to their advertising, it certainly does look like Injectors Direct sells the same part as what you would get from Ford (one of their 4 options), AND they seem to sell the brand new ones (only produced by Pure Power).

Searching for feedback on them generally looks good, but there are some bad experiences out there also. Thing about parts like injectors though - success is not something determined in a year or two.

Mark

Last edited by bismic; 06-22-2019 at 04:54 AM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

It's Alive

Took a 40amp charger and 6 minutes of cranking. Sounds pretty and maybe a bit quieter. No smoke. I will probably road test tomorrow after I finish putting everything back.

hdude

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:15 PM

Sounds great. Give us an update after the road test!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in