The Diesel Stop banner

'01 7.3L studders in reverse

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Medicman448 
#1 ·
Have a 01 7.3 when I go in reverse on a incline the truck acts as it not getting enough fuel and studders. It's fine on flat ground? Just fine going forward. Any ideas out there?

#2 ·
Possibly dirty air and fuel filters. Mine did that many years ago. That was when I started asking questions on this forum.

#3 ·
Check your transmission fluid level. When in reverse, more fluid pathways are open, which can cause a drop the pressure when the fluid level is low which somehow causes the torque converter to lock up. Mark can explain the why’s better, but bottom line, low fluid can cause this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Did you check it warmed up, running, in park?

#7 ·
As long as it was running.

#9 ·
It definitely can. As can a loose IPR valve solenoid and a bad CPS. You can unplug the ICP sensor and see if that cures the problem. The computer will use default values. If it runs better with the ICP sensor unplugged, it's almost always diagnostic of a bad sending unit.

Still, you have to ask - what is different about reverse than going forward. The only thing I can think of is the transmission circuit. Hopefully Mark will chime in soon.

#11 ·
If the transmission is causing the shudder it's due to a clutch slipping. That will turn the ATF black very, very quickly. If it isn't black, look at the engine as the cause.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.