13 row to 26 row trans cooler - not impressed - Page 4 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:19 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you choose to install one of these inline filters then you are correct that you need to follow a maintenance schedule for replacement.

You are probably lucky the used cooler deal fell through. There is too much unknown risk with a used cooler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:29 PM

My Photos: (6)
It makes a BIG difference!

If you have it in the supply line you'll catch debris from the transmission before it gets to the coolers. But in this case, there is manufacturing debris in the new cooler. If the filter is in the supply side that debris will find it's way into the transmission, probably causing a transmission failure.

If you use that cooler, and I wouldn't, I recommend placing the filter in the return side.

The line from the front of the trans is the supply to the cooler. The line at the rear of the trans is the return from the cooler.

Mark
Former
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:07 PM

Last year I flushed and filled my 4R100 and rebuilt the by-pass valve thanks to Marks and everyone else’s help. Then I replaced my stock cooler with the Mishimoto 6.0 and also installed an A/T temperature gauge. I installed a screw on Baldwin filter following the write up by Woodnthings8 and installed a Baldwin pressure gauge in the engine compartment. My gauge never registered, But the dash Cold/Hot gauge did. Hmmm. Then a few weeks ago I hit some hot weather (97*), AC on max, and pulling 3500# boat (I know that isn’t much weight), slight hills, and gauge needle finally moved— up to 160*

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8’ Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
I run the filter on mine on the supply line, but can’t see how it would matter. The reason most of us do that is the supply line is easily accessible and a rubber line whereas the return is metal. The return line is the one that goes to the rear of the transmission.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank for the answer to which is the return.

Anyone have any recommendation on running one at all? Iv seen debates on this. I guess I just need to decide for myself based on facts. Seems like the fact is ford recommends it. Although I dont have an OTW cooler.. which is why maybe they recommended it even with a new OTA cooler.

EDIT: Sorry. I missed the responses..thank you!

early 99, cone intake, stock 3.5" exhaust, muffler deleted. Edge Evolution CS

Last edited by Barchetta; 07-17-2019 at 05:01 AM.
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
It makes a BIG difference!

If you have it in the supply line you'll catch debris from the transmission before it gets to the coolers. But in this case, there is manufacturing debris in the new cooler. If the filter is in the supply side that debris will find it's way into the transmission, probably causing a transmission failure.

If you use that cooler, and I wouldn't, I recommend placing the filter in the return side.

The line from the front of the trans is the supply to the cooler. The line at the rear of the trans is the return from the cooler.
I believe I said I have SEEN debris in new coolers and havent received my cooler yet. So even if I dont see debris in the new one Id lose sleep tossing and turning as to whether I just installed a ticking time bomb.

thank you though.

EDIT: I presume by your answer that you dont believe the magnafine impedes flow to any degree of concern. Correct?

Last edited by Barchetta; 07-17-2019 at 05:09 AM.
post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:26 AM
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post
Although I don't have an OTW cooler..
My 2 cents - get a new radiator off Rockauto. They're only about $120. Get the one with the oil to water cooler. It is dramatically better at cooling the ATF than an oil to air cooler. Run your supply to the radiator. Out of the radiator to the 6.0 cooler, then back to the rear of the transmission. But your filter anywhere you want. It isn't going to impede the flow. UNLESS you forget to change it. I have no proof of this, but I suspect that's why Ford quit putting them on. Customers get a new transmission with the inline filter and come back in 60,000 miles with a failure only to find out that filter never got changed. It does have a bypass, but I suspect even that will clog eventually.

I drop my pan every third oil change. I change my Magnefine, clean my internal magnet, and fill it up with 8 quarts of fluid. That keeps my additive package fresh, dilutes out contaminants and I've only got 252,000 miles on my original transmission so what do I know...
ArcticDriver likes this.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:00 AM

I find it surprising that a new Motorcraft cooler should have a problem with debris remaining from manufacture. Possibly your experience was quite rare. What was the actual debris material?

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
I find it surprising that a new Motorcraft cooler should have a problem with debris remaining from manufacture. Possibly your experience was quite rare. What was the actual debris material?
I did not assert that a new motorcraft cooler had debis in it.

post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
My 2 cents - get a new radiator off Rockauto. They're only about $120. Get the one with the oil to water cooler. It is dramatically better at cooling the ATF than an oil to air cooler. Run your supply to the radiator. Out of the radiator to the 6.0 cooler, then back to the rear of the transmission. But your filter anywhere you want. It isn't going to impede the flow. UNLESS you forget to change it. I have no proof of this, but I suspect that's why Ford quit putting them on. Customers get a new transmission with the inline filter and come back in 60,000 miles with a failure only to find out that filter never got changed. It does have a bypass, but I suspect even that will clog eventually.

I drop my pan every third oil change. I change my Magnefine, clean my internal magnet, and fill it up with 8 quarts of fluid. That keeps my additive package fresh, dilutes out contaminants and I've only got 252,000 miles on my original transmission so what do I know...
I bet you are right about the filter.

Im going to look into a radiator.. things are a but tight right now so it may be a future upgrade. Based on research it would help with hard reverse work.

post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:08 PM

You have to buy more than just a radiator. You have to buy the lines as well.

Are you towing?

I had a 2000 7.3 and I only had the stock OTA radiator. According to my ScanGuage I never even came close to overheating once I upgraded to a 6.0 ATF Cooler. I had trouble getting the ATF up to 170*F with the upgraded 26-row cooler.

I did choose to run the Magnefine (or NAPA inline filters) and as long as you change them out as recommended then there is only upside to having one installed. They have a magnet and they have a fiber that captures particulates.

SOLD:
post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post
Quote:
I did not assert that a new motorcraft cooler had debis in it.
Nor did you specify it was NOT a Motorcraft cooler.

SOLD:

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 07-19-2019 at 08:22 AM.
post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:42 AM

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...372542&jsn=482

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/do...ler+line,10343

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/do...ler+line,10343

The Spectra Premium radiator and two lines you can get from rock auto. You already have the line from cooler to transmission. You will need two lines, one from transmission to radiator, and one from radiator to cooler.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Nor did you specify it was NOT a Motorcraft cooler.
Oh, ok. my bad apparently. Thanks for your terrific contribution to this thread then.

post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
You have to buy more than just a radiator. You have to buy the lines as well.

Are you towing?

I had a 2000 7.3 and I only had the stock OTA radiator. According to my ScanGuage I never even came close to overheating once I upgraded to a 6.0 ATF Cooler. I had trouble getting the ATF up to 170*F with the upgraded 26-row cooler.

I did choose to run the Magnefine (or NAPA inline filters) and as long as you change them out as recommended then there is only upside to having one installed. They have a magnet and they have a fiber that captures particulates.
Yes, I tow a 10k or thereabouts 5th wheel camper.

I have not pulled in the temps we are currently experiencing (95f+) and I may tow from the carolinas to arizona.. not sure. Since I had a leak, I figured id do the 6.0 upgrade. Im now regretting it.. its hot and humid, I have no garage and my right arm is severely impaired so Im having a hell of a time. I plan to get it done today. Im let down with the quality of the cheap a$$ rockauto cooler that arrived but moving forward with it because I need my truck now. Just praying some of the defects Im seeing wont be leaks.

Getting the magnafine in place is tight and going to be a real challenge. I may use a pipe cutter and cut the return a little shorter.. worried about debris.. but should be ok if I look carefully at the cut end and pull anything out I might see.

I just cant afford a trans failure right now.. its near new so Im hopeful that with this effort I will have a little security in that regard.

post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:04 PM

Here is a TSB that indicates Ford was aware of the problem and a list of parts:

https://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/94...les/002404.pdf

They thought it was pretty funny when I asked if they would still honor this 10 years later.

SOLD:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in