2000 f250 7.3 just clicks - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 f250 7.3 just clicks

Ok so hopefully someone can help with this I have a 2000 f250 4wd that just clicks when trying to start it both batteries are newer and have 12.5v coming from them with the terminals off and 12.4 on the wire with terminals on I replaced the solenoid switch on the fender and put a new starter in and nothing still just clicks at the starter I checked all the fuses and relays all checked out good I’m not a mechanic but I assumed I covered most of the starting portion of the truck I cleaned off the ends of the connections at solenoid switch and starter and battery terminals any ideas Because im lost now.

Also the old starter passed on a bench test but figured had it out put a new one in thought maybe the new one is bad they tested it and seemed fine also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Also the cylinders are free and move easy with pry bar doesn’t seem to be stuck in any way
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 04:07 PM

Could be a bad starter relay:
This is located under the hood on the right-side fender well, above the vacuum reservoir.
When you turn your key, the relay closes and supplies the higher current needed for the starter solenoid (the key energizes the relay, the relay energizes the starter). That may be what you hear clicking when you try to crank. Relay could be bad...

You can jump across the large terminals on the relay to see if the starter will crank (basically bypassing the relay). USE CAUTION if you do this!

Also, what is the voltage reading on the batteries when you're trying to crank it? Should stay above 9-10 volts.

~Al

Al in SoCal
AFE Intake; Garrett 38R; DieselSite Turbine Jacket
HPS Hi-Temp CAC Boots; Banks Big IC, Banks Engine Brake
External Oil cooler & Remote filter; Stealth 4-line Twin HPOP, Melling LPOP
Swamp's: 160cc/30% Injectors & HVHF IDM; DP-Tuner F5; Fluidamper Balancer
Custom Full Reg.-return Fuel System, Pre-& Post-pump filtration
Mishimoto Radiator & Exp. Tank; T444 Water Pump w/Filtration
Bellowed S/S Up-pipes; 4" Turbo-back Custom Exhaust into Twin Stacks
SouthBend D-D Clutch; ZF 6-spd w/CoreShifters Short-throw Stick
GearVendors O/U Drive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Calico5; 01-14-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

I just replaced the relay and I’m not sure don’t have anyone to help out with starting it but I Hooked my 16 Cummins up to both batteries with it running and still got nothing I can operate my salt spreader and 8.5ft western plow at the same time off the truck in start position without it running and the battery gauge doesn’t budge
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

The solenoid switch and the battery wire that goes to the truck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97734FEE-A49E-43F7-95AC-7562E38888C0_1547504144481.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	126392  

Click image for larger version

Name:	707438BC-7937-4673-AD7E-601E520CEA56_1547504221381.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	126394  

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 04:46 PM

Well, if the relay's good, and it's getting power from the key switch, then sounds like a bad starter.

Can you prop the meter up in the windshield to watch it from the drivers seat? Put your meter's hot lead on the output terminal to the starter, then check it while key is in START. See if you got 12v out of the relay to the starter motor.

Just as an FYI: Fuse #20, in the under-dash fuse box, supplies the relay when key is in START position. Might check that fuse too... If the fuse is blown, no power to the relay.

Al in SoCal
GearVendors O/U Drive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Battery drops to 11v when starting both starters old and new were both checked and were good new starter is in the truck I checked all the fuses they all were good could it be a bad ground?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7.3/6.7 View Post
Battery drops to 11v when starting both starters old and new were both checked and were good new starter is in the truck I checked all the fuses they all were good could it be a bad ground?
Mmmmm... possibly, but not likely.

The two negative battery cables should be directly-connected to the block on each side. Bolts tight? Batt clamps clean and tight? Is the starter bolted-up tight? That's your ground connection at the starter...

Are you getting 12-volts on the starter power cable (big power cable) at the starter?

Just tryin' to throw out ideas to check...

Al in SoCal
GearVendors O/U Drive

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:50 PM

My Photos: (8)
Are you testing the solenoid on the battery or starter side? Have someone try to start the truck while you are testing the small wire to the solenoid and starter side of solenoid.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 08:45 AM

Have you tried to make the starter crank over right down at the starter? Jump the little wire to the battery one. right on the starter , should crank over.

Also doing bench test at the parts store is meaningless on a diesel starter, have to load test them which pretty much all parts stores can't do.

Last edited by Randy 4614; 01-15-2019 at 08:49 AM.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:48 PM

My Denso started to click. It started on the bench fine, but did not have enough guts to turn the motor. Got a new one on warranty, and fired right up. At that point I realized how weak the old one was. THe new one spun much faster. You get used to it and don't notice it getting weak, then one day, click click click. Also, before I got the denso, I had stock starters that went all the time. They are weak. Several times I had to exchange a brand new starter for another because of how weak it was. IT was when I exchanged one, then it died in a week that I decided to buy the big boy. I can't help much other than that. My truck has no relay under the hood, different year. I like the jumper cable right to the starter idea posted above. If it clicks then and does nothing , the starter is weak.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

The new starter started the truck twice over a week I forgot to mention that and now just clicks maybe it burned it up somehow if that’s the case is there something that would cause it to burn up except for it just being a bad starter I will try to jump it straight to the starter to verify it’s bad again
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:08 PM

When doing it right at the starter you just need to little jump wire , the one you can buy with small clips on the ends, then just put it to the battery cable at the start. It will spark hen first doing it , but just put it there hard and if starter is any good it will crank over. If not bad solenoid or starter. Who are you getting the starters from?
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Auto zone I couldn’t reach the little one with a jumper do I need to have the battery cable on the big positive before I try to jump the little wire
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7.3/6.7 View Post
Auto zone I couldn’t reach the little one with a jumper do I need to have the battery cable on the big positive before I try to jump the little wire
If you don't, how will the starter have power?........

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in