$2000 HPOP - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
$2000 HPOP

Hello, I have a 2002 F350 7.3 ambulance. Was driving great the other day, then suddenly check engine light came on and loss of power. This is a daily work truck and it is my busy season. I made it to my next two jobs, then had vitually 0 power. It would crank, no bad noises, but RPMs would not crawl up at all. Had it towed to the dealership and they are saying I need a new High Pressure Oil Pump for a total of $2000. Seems steep for the job, but it's costing me money not having it on the road. Are there any other questions I should be asking such as what else they are replacing, etc?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:10 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

I'd ask how they diagnosed the HPOP. That's a little abrupt given it is one of the most reliable components in the system. The IPR valve is more often the culprit when you can't build pressure. It could also be a downstream leak (like a ruptured injector o-ring) or an upstream feed issue (like a bad low pressure pump or cracked pick up tube).

To condemn the HPOP, they would need to have done a block off pressure test on both sides of the pump with a known good IPR- ask for those values.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:18 AM

2000 dollars hpop cosy round 500 so 1500 in labor that's high. To be honest anyone can change the hpop it's not the biggest job out there. But I do agree with @RT I would ask for the diagnostic sheet with numbers of everything. On 7.3 the hpop is usually not the problem unless you have long overdue oil changes that what kill a fleet truck that I took maintenance on they got a fleet of 10 and all get 15w40 (4 are gas burners rest diesel) and all get a 7k to 8k oil change

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:12 PM

Could even be a failed Icp. Unplug it and try and start
I agree with other guys. I doubt it just failed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:03 PM

This is exactly why I bought a scanguage II. I monitor my vitals while driving including the ICP pressures, IPR duty cycle and many other items. If some thing is wrong with the IPOP it will show so If I get caught on the road and have to be towed at least I will have a pretty good idea of the problem before they give an estimate. Does not take much room on the dash.

2002 F250 Stock PSD Crew Cab SRW
1998 HR Endeavor MH w/275 Cummins Diesel and MD3060 Allison 6 speed

PREVIOUS TRUCK 97 F250 PSD 3.55 Draw-Tite Slider, pulling 2850RK Keystone Montana DIY Exhaust brake with TC Lockup
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:58 PM

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustygold View Post
2000 dollars hpop cosy round 500 so 1500 in labor that's high.
I wouldn't doubt a quote of $2000 for replacing an HPOP. Autonation WBL sells a reman for $644, with a list of $837, and what dealer gives you a discount on parts they install? I just R&R'd mine to fix a blown out "non-serviceable" plug o-ring (replaced all the o-rings on the HPOP except the rear cover, just to be sure). I think I was at it for at least 8 hours, but again, I'm getting old and decrepit , so take that with a grain of salt. But at the prevailing dealer labor rates, I wouldn't doubt the $2000 quote.

But like everyone else said, it's VERY LIKELY NOT the HPOP, but some other component causing your problem.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:35 PM

Happy to hear that some other forum members are old and decrepit like me.

2002 F250 Stock PSD Crew Cab SRW
1998 HR Endeavor MH w/275 Cummins Diesel and MD3060 Allison 6 speed

PREVIOUS TRUCK 97 F250 PSD 3.55 Draw-Tite Slider, pulling 2850RK Keystone Montana DIY Exhaust brake with TC Lockup
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:57 AM

post a video of the truck starting, idling, and giving it the pedal.

Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

97 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD E4OD
99 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD ZF6 E99 CALI DELETE
ROTELLA 5W-40, MOBIL1 ATF, PENNZOIL SYNCHROMESH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in