2001 7.3 starts, runs then shuts down- then restarts - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 7.3 starts, runs then shuts down- then restarts

I really like the truck I have and with only 80K miles on it I am hoping to keep it going for awhile, but I am about ready to thro in the towel. As I live in Wyoming I can't have a truck quitting me in the middle of nowhere which is most of Wyoming! I am by no means a mechanic, but have a little knowledge.

Here is my issue and what I have done trying to trouble shoot it. Cycle the key, WTS light comes on and truck starts fine. Runs two or three minutes then just shuts down like you shut off the key. Cycle the key, NO WTS light, and no Tach movement. Wait 15+ minutes and starts just fine, then same story!

I placed small wires up from the power out side both on the PCM and the IDM relay so I could use a test lamp to see if the relays were powered. When the engine quits the PCM relay still has power across it. The IDM relay did not have power to the IDM (tried new relay as well) I then placed four wires up from the IDM relay. Of course when the truck is running correctly the IDM has power from the B+, and key power. When the engine quits the ground (IDM-EN wire) that goes to the PCM connector drops off as tested with a test lamp, and then of course no power supplied to the IDM.

I thought that possibly I could take the IDM relay ground and just run it to a chassis ground and see if it would solve the problem- BUT did not make a difference!

I am thinking there may be a ground issue with the PCM?? Have yet to look into that.

Other things we local mechanic have done)

Always changed out CPS a cpl times - no effect
Changed IPR a while back, as this was causing similar symptoms
Changed out glow plugs and under valve wiring harness

So I am at a lost and any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks You! Joe in WYO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:23 AM

Does the truck have a chip on it. Did you check all the engine grounds. I have never had this problem. But I wonder if you ignition switch is dropping out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 F250 7.3 4inc exhaust, Ts 6 pos chip witch custom tunes, Built 4R100 w billet triple disc converter, 6.0 trans cooler and deep tans pan, CCV mod, 4 gauge pod A piller,Boost,Trans temp,EGT,fuel pressure AFE intake,RIFFRAFF Frx fuel Rail dead head fix black spring,High Flow banjo bolts,High Flow CVD Fitting, Harpoon mod,Diesel site adrenaline HPOP,AIH Plug,Plenum Reinforcing Inserts. FULL FORCE DIESEL STAGE 1.5 single shot injectors, Garrett powermax GTP38R and blank pedestal, RIFFRAFF Intercooler CAC Boots with complete clamp kit , scanegauge 2
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:51 PM

Where are you getting your cps's from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:45 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Get a scan tool on it to see what's going on. Without that, you're shooting in the dark.
If the IDM depowers with key on, for whatever reason, it will set a code, which along with a proper troubleshooting guide, will tell you where to look.
Also, if there is a chip on it, the first troubleshooting step would be to uninstall it.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in