'2001 7.3L barely running. Have Questions - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'2001 7.3L barely running. Have Questions

Hi all

Iíve done lots of reading but canít seem to find a definitive answer to the following.
What does a high resistance injector cause the engine to do?
Is the pcm/ecu relay interchangeable with the Idm relay?
My truck has a misfire after it warms up and the ses turns on only at that time.
In the morning turns on fine light goes off like normal.
I ohm the injectors at the gasket connection
Driver side 24.2, 3.1, 7.5, 24.7
Pass side 4.7, 4.8, 4.1, 7.7
Prior to this recent issue
Truck had been running with the occasional hiccup at cruising speed mostly 1800 rpm
I had taken it in for diagnostic and was told they could not communicate with The pcm.
They replaced the computer and said it was ready.
I took it back the next day for lack of throttle.
They had it reflashed and drove better but not quite the same as before I took it in the first time
I took it back a 3rd time and They replaced the ICp with. Non Ford brand, no markings on it.
But it ran better but throttle felt slow to respond so after reading more in the forums, I replaced the gas pedal TPS myself
It ran waaaay better but during the test drive something went and the misfire began pretty bad at highway speed and I limped home about 15miles.
Iíve tried disconnecting the ICp trick but it does the same misfire after warm up however the ses light stays on when initially started.
The reason I ask about the relays is cause I think I remember seeing they were different looking before. Now all three are the same, they are newly replaced along with the pcm/ecu
I had a friend of a friend bring his snap on scanner to the house and when he hooks up it does not scan. And when the engine is running to get live data the truck shuts off. He thinks itís the IDM having a malfunction with the connectivity being the pcm is new.
The truck has 166k miles, I am the original owner, I had a edge juice on it some 5-10 yrs ago but had trouble swapping tunes once and got rid of it after returning it to stock. He thinks the IDm must have a footprint from the tuner messing connectivity to the scanner.
Anyways, connection to the scanner is one thing, the misfire is what Iím trying to solve. What do high resistance out of range injectors do to the drivability? I read somewhere not to swap Idm if the injectors are out of range so Iíd not want to test another or get a new one till I address this. Iím thinking of getting my own scanner but donít know a whole lot about an entry level model. I wouldnít want to pay more than five hunerd if thatís even possible.

I appreciate any and all replies and I promise to get all my findings and repairs listed here after my truck is fixed. Iíve read many postes throughout the inner tube with no final results in repairs. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 11:28 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

High resistance causes a signal disruption to the injector. Or possibly, if due to a bad solenoid, no activation at all.

I would recommend pulling the valve cover and ohming individual injectors. If you get the same readings, then the injector solenoids are bad. If you get perfect readings at the injector, then you have a UVHC issue. Probably will need new harnesses under the valve cover and potentially the valve cover gaskets themselves if you find burned pins.

The relays are interchangeable.

Personally, I say you attack one problem at a time. Deal with the injector resistance issue. Get it completely solved. Then, move on to the ICP sensor issue or whatever that turns out to be.

As to getting your own scanner, if you own a laptop AutoEnginuity with the Ford enhancement costs $359 and will do anything you need it to do.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 05:01 PM

I would say the same as RT. Could be a bad connection at the valve cover or injector causing the issue. The high resistance will do nothing to affect the other injectors. The increased resistance could cause issues with the poppet opening as the magnetic field is weaker from the coil.

Hope that shop didn't break your windshield when they were throwing parts at it

Tom
99.5 PS CC 4x4 SRW ZF-6
Triple Pillar Gauges; Fuel pres, Pyro, Boost
AE, Alldatadiy, and half a clue
- AKA "The Big White Truck"

PM please. No Visitor Msg if you want a response anytime soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the AE from RiffRaff, tracking shows it should arrive on the 25th. I thought about ordering 4 injectors to be ready but I?ll give the scanning a try first. At the time I ordered the scanner they were out of the harnesses which I planned to get also just in case but they were out of stock. I?ll have to dust off the laptop see if it?s compatible as we?ve been iPad spoiled for a couple years now. Is the laptop just to see results after scanning or during live data or needed to setup the scanner before use? I?ll keep updating findings and outcomes as I make repairs. Thanks
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 07:37 AM

The laptop is needed at all times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 10:23 AM

I would bet my bottom dollar that it's the Drivers side UVCH. In 2008 drove 15,000 miles to Alaska and back, had 750 miles to get home, truck started to miss badly til warmed up, SES lite ON, got home on a Friday, Saturday morning truck refused to start, after checking everything I could think of, finely checked resistance of UVCH, yup that was it. Changed Drivers side, still have passengers side UVCH in it's package along with the valve cover rear bolt.

92 F350 Lariat, 2WD, Dualie, CC, LB, E4OD Trans, Banks Sidewinder turbo, GV O/U, Pyro, Boost, Oil temp, Trans temp. Chassis 129K, Engine 7.3L 75K. Bench seat.

"99.5 F350 7.3 PSD 4R100 CC LB 4X4 DRW 4:10 Centurion Conv.
ScanGaugeII SPDiesel Performance Module 40-60-80 HP -- A Pillar - Boost - Pyrometer - Trans.Temp. - Engine Oil Temp.GN Hitch 20K -- Reese 16K 5er Hitch - Draw Tite Brake Control - Aux. Trans. oil cooler - 100 Gal. Transfer Flow fuel tank, W/Trax II computer. DIY black bed liner. Red Knight

IDI firing order 12734568--------1&4-2&5-7&6-3&8 Cyl's @ TDC. 1&4 TDC when timing mark is @ 0. Each 1/4 turn, next 2.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 01:52 PM

I had a similar problem work not being able to communicate when hooking up scammer and it ended up being a bad ground to the firewall.

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 06:30 PM

Yes, you need a laptop. AE is software and a cable, which is capable of reading all the generic codes on a car. You need the enhanced Ford bundle to read all the specific data on the powerstroke, and it will also cover all the specific sensors and codes for all Ford cars as well. Forget the subscription, unless you are a mechanic who will use this for each new model year.

Tom
99.5 PS CC 4x4 SRW ZF-6
Triple Pillar Gauges; Fuel pres, Pyro, Boost
AE, Alldatadiy, and half a clue
- AKA "The Big White Truck"

PM please. No Visitor Msg if you want a response anytime soon
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Iím certain I posted my results after trying out my AE but now I donít see them. Something must be wrong with my iPad when I click post quick reply.

I had two codes P0470 and P1273

The buzz test worked nice, I just need to redo it and write the sound level to see which are low or high and compare to the resistance readings and see if there is a correlation. Hope to get on this by Sunday. Thanks
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:33 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus13 View Post
Iím certain I posted my results after trying out my AE but now I donít see them. Something must be wrong with my iPad when I click post quick reply.

I had two codes P0470 and P1273

The buzz test worked nice, I just need to redo it and write the sound level to see which are low or high and compare to the resistance readings and see if there is a correlation. Hope to get on this by Sunday. Thanks

If you tried to post them in a file form in the last couple of days the problem is on the forum end. Unfortunately it won't be until Monday before someone might look at the problems that there are.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

I played with the AE again today. I did another buzz test, and #3 is the weakest buzz of all almost non existent. 3 others seam low intensity but none are really identical sounding. Maybe because where they are located from where Iím standing
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

I also did a cylinder contribution balance test and got a P0269 on #3 cylinder. Injector circuit balance fault.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

So do aliant injectors come with orings and copper washers ready to be installed or as complete kits?

What else will I need before getting started besides
Injectors
Orings
Copper washers
Ccv dog house orings
Gaskets for valve covers
Under valve cover harness
Maybe glow plugs

Thanks for the feedback
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 08:44 AM
RT

I would assume any rebuilt or new injector would come complete with o-rings and the copper washer. I can guarantee you that if you order your injectors from Full Force Diesel, they come that way. It would be much cheaper than buying new Alliant injectors. You can get all the o-rings and gaskets from DieselOrings and I would definitely recommend doing the glow plugs while you are there. Use only the Motorcraft (rebagged Beru) glow plugs.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information RT, you've been quite helpful. I ordered my parts and seems like the FFD rebuilt injectors are not a bad price compared to others sites. The gaskets are stocked out at RiffRaff and they had the best price i could find. I can wait a couple days to order those, I wont be needing them till the end anyways. I'm going to take it slow and learn as this is my first diesel repair under the valve covers. My truck has been out since the beginning of May so another 2 or 3 weeks wont hurt. But now I'm thinking i may want to do something to improve the turbo, but there again, i don't know much, maybe a vane replacement would suffice. Thanks again for all the replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in