2002 F-250 7.3 oil leak help - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 F-250 7.3 oil leak help

On my truck I have an oil leak is coming on the drivers side that looks like it is coming from somewhere under the water pump. It is not coming from the top of the motor and is not the oil cooler. It not doing it under idea only when driving.

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:30 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Front cover or the HPOP gasket. Or a number of other places that are hidden by all the accessories on these trucks.

I'd make sure that it isn't the high pressure oil gallery plug on the end of the head or one of the plugs on the high pressure oil system.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Will try and take a better look in the next few days. Going to clean and pressure wash it the start looking again.

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 05:47 AM

https://deadheaddiesel.com/7.3-power...mon-oil-leaks/

Here is something that might be useful .

2002 F350 7.3 psd supercab dually 2wd, AIS, Moog joints, Bilstein, Michelin Defender LTX, Dieselsite coolant filter, red ELC, prepump spin-on fuel filter, 254,500 miles, hutch/harpoon mod, marinco mod, scan gauge ll, Zoodad, Dieselsite boots, pedestal delete, CNC Fab w/ crossover oil lines, 6.0 trans cooler, replaced oil pan, Walker BTM, Denso starter

1974 CJ6 ... off the frame needs work
2013 Expedition... wife's car
Panhead ... 53 motor, 51 tanks, B grind cam, S&S carb, points, drum brakes ... It doesn't just sit in the garage
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks panhrad I will check them all tomorrow I know it is not the oil cooler or hypop lines they have all been replaced in the last year

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:17 PM

I also have a 2002 Ford F250 7.3 4x4.
Your leak could be coming from the oil pan itself or the seal between the oil pan and the engine block. These engines are notorious for oil pans rusting thru. If it is your oil pan, I recommend the Moroso Ford 7.3L Powerstroke oil pan.
Four months ago I had my engine pulled to replace the oil pan. While the engine was out I had the following preventative repairs made: exhaust manifolds pulled to replace the exhaust manifold bolts and gaskets; the oil cooler was rebuilt with new O-Rings and gaskets; replaced the rear main oil seal, pulled the injectors to replace all the injector cups; and replaced the oil dipstick tube and mount to the oil pan.
It was a total success. I no longer have any oil leaks.
Good luck! I know how hard it can be tracking down oil leaks.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

It is not the oil pain I am thinking probably timing cover or bottom of hypop.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texkenusmc View Post
I have a similar issue. I also replaced my pan and installed cnc fab oil lines last year.

2002 F350 7.3 psd supercab dually 2wd, AIS, Moog joints, Bilstein, Michelin Defender LTX, Dieselsite coolant filter, red ELC, prepump spin-on fuel filter, 254,500 miles, hutch/harpoon mod, marinco mod, scan gauge ll, Zoodad, Dieselsite boots, pedestal delete, CNC Fab w/ crossover oil lines, 6.0 trans cooler, replaced oil pan, Walker BTM, Denso starter

1974 CJ6 ... off the frame needs work
2013 Expedition... wife's car
Panhead ... 53 motor, 51 tanks, B grind cam, S&S carb, points, drum brakes ... It doesn't just sit in the garage
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Any leakage from the HPOP will end up in the valley, and drain out the back of the block (at the valley drain hole), so it's not going to be the HPOP itself, or the face seal.

Also, there is no "behind the water pump", as the water pump itself is mounted directly into the front cover (the cover forms the back-side "volute" of the pump). However, a couple of the water pump bolts DO extend through/into the inside of the front cover (into the timing gear area). Maybe weeping coming from there? Doesn't seem likely, as there is no "pressure" there, but anything is possible.

Since your leakage is towards/on the front of the engine, it is possible that the HPOP reservoir lower seal/o-ring could be leaking (or the upper cover seal as well). This is above the water pump. They are readily visible, just looking over the fan shroud at the front of the engine.

Al in SoCal
AFE Intake; Garrett 38R; DieselSite Turbine Jacket
HPS Hi-Temp CAC Boots; Banks Big IC, Banks Engine Brake
External Oil cooler & Remote filter; Stealth 4-line Twin HPOP, Melling LPOP
Swamp's: 160cc/30% Injectors & HVHF IDM; DP-Tuner F5; Fluidamper Balancer
Custom Full Reg.-return Fuel System, Pre-& Post-pump filtration
Mishimoto Radiator & Exp. Tank; T444 Water Pump w/Filtration
Bellowed S/S Up-pipes; 4" Turbo-back Custom Exhaust into Twin Stacks
SouthBend D-D Clutch; ZF 6-spd w/CoreShifters Short-throw Stick
GearVendors O/U Drive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:00 PM

Any chance you had the dampener off? Its a leaker if you don't rtv the key slot.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

The leak ended up being the oil cooler were it matters up to the block up front.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
The leak ended up being the oil cooler were it matters up to the block up front.
Did you fix it yourself? Any details?

2002 F-250 PSD Super Cab Long Bed 3.73 LS... Stock!!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Yes it is a little messie but not a bad job. It took me about 5 hours but I have had 7 back surgeries. Google oil cooler change on your year model and you will find videos on how to do it. That will help you a lot.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

I am looking at buying a house in your neck of the woods OBXNC. Up by Sanford NC my son lives in Gastonia NC.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I am looking at buying a house in your neck of the woods OBXNC. Up by Sanford NC my son lives in Gastonia NC.
Welcome to NC!! Sanford is a nice area... you can get to the coast or Gastonia with reasonable drives.

2002 F-250 PSD Super Cab Long Bed 3.73 LS... Stock!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in