Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/)
-   '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f24/)
-   -   2002 F350 7.3L long crank start (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f24/2002-f350-7-3l-long-crank-start-614722/)

stangman6796 05-05-2017 03:16 PM

2002 F350 7.3L long crank start

Hello,
I have a 2002 F350 with 7.3 diesel that has a hard start problem. Glow plugs have been replaced. After glow plug light goes off, it will have to crank for at least 5 sec. before starting. After it is running, you can shut it off and it will start instantly. Let it sit for 2 Min. and try to start again, and it cranks for at least 5 sec. again before starting. I also notice a little shaking in motor for just a little bit and then it smooths out.
I have heard of O rings bad on Injectors loosing oil praesure, but have not had valve covers off to check that yet. Any other ideas before we have to go deep on taking apart? Steve

jricherson 05-05-2017 03:23 PM

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like it could be a couple things but more diagnosis needed. You will get lots of good advice and suggestions.
My first guess is maybe the HPOP reservoir is maybe leaking back. You can take the plug out of the top and check oil level to see if dropped. Second could be to unplug the ICP and try it.
If you have someone close by with software (AutoEnginuity) to scan while trying to start will help. Others will give help here also.

Cobranut 05-06-2017 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stangman6796 (Post 4404378)
Hello,
I have a 2002 F350 with 7.3 diesel that has a hard start problem. Glow plugs have been replaced. After glow plug light goes off, it will have to crank for at least 5 sec. before starting. After it is running, you can shut it off and it will start instantly. Let it sit for 2 Min. and try to start again, and it cranks for at least 5 sec. again before starting. I also notice a little shaking in motor for just a little bit and then it smooths out.
I have heard of O rings bad on Injectors loosing oil praesure, but have not had valve covers off to check that yet. Any other ideas before we have to go deep on taking apart? Steve

How long since your last oil change? What weight oil?
As your oil ages, it picks up soot, which causes it to get thicker.
The thicker oil takes longer to get flowing through the HPOP, which can cause long crank times.

My truck had been stored in my shop for an extended time, only being started every few months. It started taking longer to start, until I changed the conventional Rotella-T 15w40 for Rotella Synthetic 5w40. After the next start, crank time was back to normal. Even in the controlled environment, the oil had degraded.
It would've been interesting to send a sample off for testing, but I didn't think about it at the time.