2003 7.3 ZF6 donor - what would be reasonable recipients? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By RT
  • 1 Post By klhansen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 7.3 ZF6 donor - what would be reasonable recipients?

Hi all,

I have a 2003 F250 4x4 with a 7.3 and the 6-speed manual with about 350 000 km / 220 000 miles. Thanks to an unfortunate incident over the weekend, it's been totaled based on body damage.

I'm strongly considering buying it back from the insurance company for the powertrain and to retrieve some of my add-ons. I need to track down a replacement truck quickly which leads to my question.

If I want to get another Ford that could accept the 7.3 and manual in a fairly straightforward manner, what are my options?

Obviously a 99-03 7.3-manual transmission truck would be the most straightforward.

Will the clutch pedal assembly, clutch master and stick shift trans tunnel bits bolt up in a factory auto 7.3 truck?

How about a 99-03 gas engine truck? I'm assuming engine mounts and suspension would be different at a minimum. Any big physical differences with available space under the hood? Wiring nightmare?

Will a 6.0 truck (manual and/or auto) accept the 7.3 without a lot of reworking (frame side engine mounts different? firewall?). Would a ton of integration of wiring between powertrain and body need to be done, or are the two systems reasonably separate?

I appreciate any quick or considered answers, and would be happy to look through any threads you can point me to that detail one of the options.

Thanks,
A lucky Canuck with an unlucky truck.

2003 F250 7.3 ZF6 4x4
a small herd of Toyota LandCruisers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:10 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Each option you named is a pretty big project.
There is a 7.3 with 6-speed listed in the classified right now with 70K miles. Only thing it needs is new paintjob.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

While I'm not looking to take on a project on day one with another truck, what I'm asking is "What range of trucks would I consider a good 7.3-ZF6 donor to be a backup if / when the original drivetrain gives up?" without it being a total "driving a square peg into a round hole" type of thing.

A little searching of online classifieds in the last 3 days or so has only netted one 7.3 6-speed SuperDuty close enough to consider, but if the search opens up to 7.3 automatics, or 6.0 trucks, there are more options out there that might make it worth keeping a wrecked truck in my back pocket.

I work 12 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week in a 24/7 environment. With it being my busy season, I need to find a replacement fairly soon - be that a Ford like I'm asking about here, taking a 180 to a Dodge / Cummins, or getting something smaller and cheap for the short term until I can put more time into finding the right HD truck in a couple or 3 months when things slow down.

I wouldn't want to take on something anywhere near as involved as below to keep a work truck / toy tower going, but I've got experience reworking things to suit the engine / suspension / axle options I want in a rig. So I'm not expecting any of the options in my OP to be a matter of parking two trucks next to each other, turning out the lights and hoping to find a completed swap waiting for me in the morning.

1970 LandCruiser wagon with a self built EFI stroker Toyota gas I6, GM 4-speed stick, Toyota transfer case, newer wider axles with added electric diff locks, motor mounts and firewall reworked to fit the drivetrain, suspension bracketry redone for the axles, wiring from a late 80s EFI truck thinned and integrated into the old truck along with gauges and steering column bits, ...........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spot start.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	126448  

Name:	spot open firewall.jpg
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	126450  

Name:	spot closed firewall.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	126452  

Name:	spot wiring.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	126454  

Name:	spot done.jpg
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	126456  

2003 F250 7.3 ZF6 4x4

Last edited by RockDoc; 01-17-2019 at 07:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 09:30 AM
RT

The only recipients with an easy path to the swap are your 99-03 SuperDutys that came with that motor/transmission combination. The next most difficult group would be those in that year that came with an automatic. Anything, and I mean anything else will require a complete transfer of all wiring including the instrument panel. The clutch mount and associated hardware will bolt into a truck that came with an automatic in the correct year range (that came with a 7.3) - the reason for the caveat, obviously, is the late 03s were 6.doh trucks.
RockDoc likes this.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:59 PM

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
So I'm not expecting any of the options in my OP to be a matter of parking two trucks next to each other, turning out the lights and hoping to find a completed swap waiting for me in the morning.

Let me know when you find those elves and send them my way to work on my latest project.

Like RT said, the easiest would be to find an identical year truck with the same configuration, but converting from and auto tranny truck to your manual wouldn't be that bad. Wiring harness issues aren't as bad going from auto to manual tranny as vice versa, The dash harness already has the Clutch Pedal Position Switch connector with a jumper plug on it in auto trucks, and the extra stuff for control of the auto tranny can be disconnected and tied up out of the way. Or you could swap over the manual tranny harness from the firewall connectors back to the tranny. Not insurmountable problems.

You'd be better off with an '02 or '03 truck as the wiring was significantly different in earlier trucks and might make the swap a bit more difficult.

Mechanically, it's not a big deal. The frame, tranny support, engine mounts would be the same (different positions for the rear tranny/t-case support just using different mounting holes already there). Not sure, but gasser trucks may have the same frame as well, but wiring would be more different than diesels, including swapping out the instrument cluster.

Good Luck in your search.
RockDoc likes this.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, that helps widen the search out a bit. So what I'm understanding is the swapping auto to manual would mostly be a matter of unbolt and rebolt. (I'll have to search, I'm sure there will be a few threads where it's been done), staying with a '02-'03 would be the least painful for plug and play, but a '99-'01 should be doable with pulling and swapping (part of?) the harness. I'm seeing many more automatics than manuals, so that should help find one in better overall shape.

2003 F250 7.3 ZF6 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in