4R100 Transmissions Issue On The Road Need Advice ASAP - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 08:39 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by schunter1969 View Post
OK so help me understand this. Previously my trans temp gauge was in the yellow when my TFT was about 160 degrees. On the way to my parents today my trans temp gauge stayed pretty much in the middle but my TFT was 220 degrees?! I am getting my trans temp via OBDII and DashCmd app.
The gauge is designed to stay in the middle until the TFT reaches 230°F. I have no idea why it went there at 160°F.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
I will not be home until Friday afternoon, that is when I plan on working on it. I plan on doing the test where you get your transmission fluid to operating temperature and then disconnect the return line at the transmission and see how much it pumps, and then disconnect the return one at time at each cooler. I don't know anybody with a scan gauge... Hopefully when I rebuild the bypass valve and test the return lines I find something that clearly tells me what is going on.

2002 F250 Lariet 4x4 SB Dorsey St. 2 4R100 Manual T-Case with PHP Hydra running Dorsey, Jelibuilt, and 1023 custom tunes. Drivetrain mods: one piece driveshaft, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, Inline Tranny Filter. Turbo Mods: 360 bearing, 66/88 billet compressor wheel, ported housing w/ 4in. intake, TurboMaster wastegate controller, Banks elbow outlet to 4" Down Pipe to 5" straight pipe, non-EBPV pedestal, Riff Raff Boost fooler, and 470ohm resistor in place of the EBPV and wastegate solenoid. Intake Mods: DIY 4" aluminum pipe to 6637 filter, CCV routed to the rear near exhaust tip, AIH delete with 470ohm resistor on the solenoid, polished intake manifold/spider and plugged wastegate solenoid port. Fuel/Oil Mods: Riff Raff banjo fuel bolts, Riff-Raff fuel FPR black spring set to 70 psi, HPX, CNC HPOP oil lines with check valve delete Other Mods: Coolant Filter, all aluminum radiator, boost, tranny fluid temp, EGT, and fuel pressure gauges, Pioneer AVH-NEX4200 Stereo, 2008 Hitch w/ Backup Camera, 2008 Tow Mirrors, Recon headlights
post #18 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 01:54 AM

I guess if you test at the Trannission return line first and your flow is sufficient then you don’t have to test further upstream, eh?

Are you going to swap out your Bypass first?

I bought a Dash Cmd a couple years back and it reported TFT at 300*F so I got rif of it for a ScanGauge-2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Ya the bypass rebuild kit won’t be delivered until Friday afternoon but I will so that before running the test. So you are saying your dash cmd app told you the wrong transmission fluid temperature?

2002 F250 Lariet 4x4 SB Dorsey St. 2 4R100 Manual T-Case with PHP Hydra running Dorsey, Jelibuilt, and 1023 custom tunes. Drivetrain mods: one piece driveshaft, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, Inline Tranny Filter. Turbo Mods: 360 bearing, 66/88 billet compressor wheel, ported housing w/ 4in. intake, TurboMaster wastegate controller, Banks elbow outlet to 4" Down Pipe to 5" straight pipe, non-EBPV pedestal, Riff Raff Boost fooler, and 470ohm resistor in place of the EBPV and wastegate solenoid. Intake Mods: DIY 4" aluminum pipe to 6637 filter, CCV routed to the rear near exhaust tip, AIH delete with 470ohm resistor on the solenoid, polished intake manifold/spider and plugged wastegate solenoid port. Fuel/Oil Mods: Riff Raff banjo fuel bolts, Riff-Raff fuel FPR black spring set to 70 psi, HPX, CNC HPOP oil lines with check valve delete Other Mods: Coolant Filter, all aluminum radiator, boost, tranny fluid temp, EGT, and fuel pressure gauges, Pioneer AVH-NEX4200 Stereo, 2008 Hitch w/ Backup Camera, 2008 Tow Mirrors, Recon headlights
post #20 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Ya the bypass rebuild kit won’t be delivered until Friday afternoon but I will so that before running the test. So you are saying your dash cmd app told you the wrong transmission fluid temperature?
I purchased a Dash Command App in 04/2015 according to my records. It reported a very high (nearly 300*F) TFT at times. I don't know if it was the App or the OBDII connector but I quit using both within a couple days and switched to a ScanGauge-2 and it continues to work correctly and report correct values.

I don't know if that is a "part" of your problem or not but by your description in post #14 it appears you have atleast one gauge not functioning correctly and possibly mechanical issues as well.

I would say there is no harm in swapping out your Bypass Valve but do follow the instructions to the letter and watch that you remove each of the old o-rings and properly install the new ones since there are various sizes specific to various locations. Was it the Sonnax kit you ordered?

Instructions here: https://d2q1ebiag300ih.cloudfront.ne...f?v=1491485793

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #21 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Ya I ordered the Sonnax kit, it is supposed to be in the mail tomorrow and I will install it tomorrow. I am also doing the flow test tomorrow so I will let y'all know the results. Thanks again for everyone's support.

post #22 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

I performed the transmission flush with Valvoline MaxLife Transmission Fluid Dex/Merc Mercon LV synthetic transmission fluid. Was this the wrong fluid to use or is this acceptable?

Mark Kovalsky

post #23 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 05:58 PM

I don't know for certain. The specs are so far apart for MERCON and MERCON LV that I don't see how one fluid could meet both specs.

I do know that MERCON LV will destroy a 4R100. You should have used a MERCON V fluid. Will the fluid you used destroy it? I don't know. You could either run an experiment and see if it dies or not, or flush it out with MERCON V.

Mark
Former

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #24 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Mark Kovalsky I have read dozens of threads / forums about 4R100's and every single one has a reply from you. You say it needs Mercon V, then I will put Mercon V in it. The closest auto supply store did not have any Mercon V in stock when I did the flush and I was short on time. Looks like my 4R100 will be getting another flush tomorrow.

post #25 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Mark Kovalsky if you had to pick ONE Mercon V to use what would it be?

Last edited by schunter1969; 12-29-2017 at 06:33 PM.
post #26 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 07:29 PM

Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

Mark
Former

post #27 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I rebuilt the bypass valve. First flow test coming from the return cooling line, after 15 seconds I had 1/2 a quart... fail. Second flow test, removed the supply line going to the radiator, after 11 seconds I had a quart, pass. Third flow test, removed the return line coming out of the radiator (had some 3/4" hose that I put over the female fitting), after 13 seconds I had a quart, pass. So what do y'all think, clogged aux cooler? Is there a possibility that one of the cooling lines after the radiator has a clog?

post #28 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
So what do y'all think, clogged aux cooler?
Either that or....

Quote:
Is there a possibility that one of the cooling lines after the radiator has a clog?
This.

Mark
Former

post #29 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Ok my plan is to replace the aux cooler with a 6.0 cooler. Before connecting all the new stuff up I plan on taking the existing lines off. Push some weed wacker string all the way through the existing lines and connecting the weed wacker string to a drill. Spin it around a bunch of times and see what comes out. If I can't get the string through I know I have a clogged line. What do you think? Is there a better method for cleaning out the existing lines?

post #30 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Ok my plan is to replace the aux cooler with a 6.0 cooler. Before connecting all the new stuff up I plan on taking the existing lines off. Push some weed wacker string all the way through the existing lines and connecting the weed wacker string to a drill. Spin it around a bunch of times and see what comes out. If I can't get the string through I know I have a clogged line. What do you think? Is there a better method for cleaning out the existing lines?
It sure seems like any debris large enough to clog a line would have been captured in the cooler before hand. Is it possible that your line is bent?

Pushing a plastic line through the tubes will help convince you they are free of obstruction but its not like an EBP tube that gets hard carbon deposits on the walls.

Did you get a Dorman or a Motorcraft 6.0 cooler?

SOLD:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in