The Diesel Stop banner

4x4 6 speed MPG???

32K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  DENNY 
#1 ·
What are you guys getting that drive the 7.3 4x4 6 speeds getting? looking for some realy data, not best tank ever. Mostly concerned about unloaded highway numbers. Looking for a dually, but a comparison between DRW &SRW would be good. Thinking about getting rid of my Dodge and getting a 7.3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif BTW, at 70 mph my dodge gets 20.5 on summer fuel!

See less See more
#3 ·
i get 18.5 with half around town and half highway with truck in sig

#4 ·
Comparable to Overload, for summer fuel this year. Winterized is 16 to 16.5 mpg.

Highway speeds of 65 -70, Freeway 75 and some city driving.

On "winter" fuel in Arizona I did get 19 to 20.5 at highway speeds of 55mph and city driving. That was over three tanks on a Christmas vacation.

Fuel quality and lower relative speeds in Arizona were the two factors.IMHO

#5 ·
My lifetime (80k mi) average is just a shade under 16 mpg. Most of my miles are a 15 mile one-way commute with some longer trips with slide-in camper.

#6 ·
With 4.10 gears and all mountain driving, lifetime average with 200,000 on truck is 14.7 miles to the gallon. 50/50 towing and empty. Usually towing less than 10,000 pounds I get around 12. More than 10,000 anywhere from 8 to 10 miles to the gallon. Empty 14 to 16.

#7 ·
I average 18 with the truck in my sig. That is lightly loaded for most of the tank. It has never been empty for a full tank since I have owned it. It has 3.73 gears. Best tank ever was 25 all on the interstate at 70-75 lightly loaded.

#8 ·
With my late 99, crew cab dually, 4.10's, 6 speed, over the last 70k I've averaged 16 mpg, about 70% highway between 65 and 70 mph. I find it respectable enough for a truck of that size. On the scale it was almost right at 8000 lbs.

#10 ·
I get almost perfect 22 empty. But hauling 6k on a little trailer I get 17mpg. I tow a 40' loaded to the gills and I get 15mpg. These are all taking it easy No flying through the gears. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

#11 ·
Funny thing is, when I lived at Ft. Huachuca 7 years ago I was getting 19. I do believe that higher elevation has a positive effect on mileage as I was able to get 21.6 (my best) on a trip from Twin Falls, Idaho through Yellowstone to Billings, Montana. And a max speed of 60 through that portion didn't hurt things either. But then moving to Germany I struggled to get 16 at times on the autobahn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#12 ·
You 6 speed guys are going to hate this. Since I got my tuner from DP Tuners, and finally got my tranny fixed, I'm getting 21 to 22 mpg on the highway at 65-70 mph. Last tank was 21.8 all highway and unloaded in the economy setting. Of course it went way down on the return trip towing my coach, 11+.

#13 ·
I took an 1800 mile round trip with just the truck and no trailer and got 18.4mpg running 80mpg or better (it was an emergency and I could get there quicker driving than by catching a plane)

#14 ·
[ QUOTE ]
You 6 speed guys are going to hate this. Since I got my tuner from DP Tuners, and finally got my tranny fixed, I'm getting 21 to 22 mpg on the highway at 65-70 mph. Last tank was 21.8 all highway and unloaded in the economy setting. Of course it went way down on the return trip towing my coach, 11+.

[/ QUOTE ]

That "just shy of 16 mpg" I posted, included one tank with Jody's 80 HP Econo Tuned PCM installed. The mileage with that tank popped up about 1/2 mpg, and that was while I was playing with the new found power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif. I'm looking forward to some improvement as soon as I calm down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif

I forgot to say in my previous post that I run with the hubs locked all winter (a full 6 months), which drops the mileage a bit, as does winter blend fuel.

#15 ·
I've averaged about 19.6 mpg so far this year on the summer fuel. Last summer my average was 20.0 I drive about 75% highway, 25% city, lightly-loaded most of the time. I rarely tow these days.

It drops down to 16 ~ 17 on winter blend, except for this past winter when grelchy post-Katrina fuel caused it to plummet to 14 for a couple of tanks.

I've just recently turned off my Quadzilla Stealth Module, and installed a DP tuner chip. Aside from a few moments of youthful "experimentation," ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) I've been driving it normally in 80 Econo. Learning to drive it in 80 Econo is perhaps the more accurate phrase. The shifting is a little weird in that program.

There are some major indicators that show my consumption is even further reduced, and I've been running it for a tank and 3/4, but I am not yet prepared to state any conclusive data.

#16 ·
18s? 19s? 20s??????

Hell, Before the mods, after the mods...I can't break 16!!! Half freeway, half town, unloaded.

What tires are everyone running? Narrow stock-like tires? I have 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers and have heard that these have an adverse affect at the pump.

***???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

#17 ·
Here is something I have learned for two powerstrokes now.

You don't buy them to save the environment; you buy them to move it.

13-14...ish.

#19 ·
Does it actually have the 6 speed or the stock 5 speed.

Depending on the rear gears anywhere from 15mpg to 20mpg and not much more depending on the gearing in the rear end

#20 ·
Are you asking about MPG or cost to maintain the truck. We need more info total miles, tires, diff gearing, etc
DENNY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.