7.3L dies only when warm - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3L dies only when warm

my 2002 f-250 7.3litre runs perfect when cold it starts fine and runs fine with no misses at all but its drivin me crazy cause once it is warmed up it will either die all the sudden or if you kill it.it will not restart for 30-40 min. i have replaced camshaft sensor about 4 times(thats not it) pulled the IPR cleaned it and changed seals.replaced the ICP cause it had oil coming through it.changed the oil in the HPOP resivior.replaced l/h UVC wiring harness (replaced before i had this problem) i dont know what im forgeting but need help !!please!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:17 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Cold oil is thick oil. If you have an injector o-ring leak, it may be able to build sufficient pressure to start and run when cold, but then drop below required levels when warm. Do you have access to a scanner that can monitor your ICP sensor data while its running?

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

ok cool thats good news.when i ordered the o-ring kit for the IPR i also ordered o-ring kits for all eight injectors but im kinda waiting on a pretty day to start pulling the injectors and no i dont have or know anybody that has a scanner do you know of a good one i can look for online thanks

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:35 PM
RT

If you have a laptop, the best one around is AutoEnginuity with the Ford Enhancement. It will run you about 350 bucks from any of the online diesel shops.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

yea got a laptop and plann on keeping this truck so i need to get one. thanks
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

oh i forgot to let you know that when the truck dies on me the fuel filter base is full of fuel cause i drained it to check and see.and i also checked the HPOP resivior and it was full of oil
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

!!!UPDATE!! ok just finished replacing all 8 injector o-rings. the lower o-rings on all eight injectors were bad(almost gone). got the truck all back together and the only part i replaced was the map sensor cause i broke it so i got another 1 at a salvage yard. i hooked my little trailer up loaded a couple atv's and went riding but on the the way home the truck died AGAIN.i dont feel bad replacing all the injector o-rings because it really needed done but i still didnt fix my problem.its doing the same thing i let the truck cool off about an hour and it started up and almost made it home then it died i waited another hour it fired up and took me home. anybody have any ideas what it could be now.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

ok truck is fixed now it was the coil on the IPR so i replaced the IPR cause i couldnt find just the coil 4 sale anywhere and truck runns great
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 11:12 AM

i have the same problem with a 99 f550 rollback truck. what is the ipr"coil"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 11:20 AM
RT

The IPR (injection pressure regulator) is a valve that bleeds off HPOP pressure as ordered by the PCM to maintain the desired pressure for the injectors. The coil is the part of the IPR that moves the plunger in and out. Just like any electromagnetic coil, they can weaken over time. When this happens, they don't do so well when they are heated. Since you can't buy the parts individually, just replace the whole IPR valve.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 08:25 PM

Lightbulb powerstroke 7.3 problems....can you help me?

I have a 96 f superduty 7.3 tall side dump. when cold truck will turn a couple times until gauge reads that there is oil pressure but then cranks and runs fine until it gets hot, then it gets very rough and looses power. im debating putting some 15/40 rotella which is what I always use and some lucas oil stabilizer in the hpop reservoir to thicken it up some. heres what has been replaced or done hope anyone can help.

I have replaced complete clutch assembly, starter, both batteries, swapped idm with another to see if it was good (it is, one I swapped it with was bad so I swapped them back) replaced icp, ipr, manual fuel pump in valley on top of engine, one injector that was determined bad by taking valve covers off checking for oil spray and unplugging each injector one by one, took pickups out of fuel tanks (dual tanks) to check for trash and restriction in tank, no leaks in high pressure oil system. I am almost certain the hpop needs replacing but im not sure quite yet.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:20 PM

I have a 2002 F-250 and it would start when it's cold. I would turn my truck off and go into the store. When I came back out and tried starting it, it would have a strong crank but wouldn't start. I changed the high pressure oil regulator and I don't have that problem anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in