7.3L powerstroke pressure test coolant goes in oil pan - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3L powerstroke pressure test coolant goes in oil pan

Hey all need some help troubleshooting my truck. 2002 7.3 powerstroke ran low on coolant when driving ... level was checked 3 weeks ago. pulled truck over when gauge went high. let cool and added new coolant and checked for leaks. all seamed good but engine oil level was above high line about a inch. drove truck home with no problem.
pressure checked coolant system . when building up pressure with coolant tester around 12-14psi could hear gurgling in engine like air moving threw it.
rechecked engine oil level and oil about 3 inches above high line.drained oil and pure coolant came out for the the first 3 seconds then oil
oil was not milky only black
I watched as pressure was still on system and the coolant keeps driping. question is where to check
Im thinking oil cooler , headgasket, engine front cover, and can coolant get in oil from water pump?
oh yea left no pressure on system last night and coolant plastic tank is empty. and you know where it went. any help on what steps to take to determand the problem. thanks Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:29 AM

My Photos: (2)
re: 7.3L powerstroke pressure test coolant goes in oil pan

sounds like it could be your oil cooler but I know from experience oil leaks into coolant when running, oil pressure higher than coolant. When it was running did you get any oil in the coolant resevior??? If no oil in coolant look at your headgasket

7.3l '03, 250, CC, 4x4. 203* Tstat. DieselSite Coolant Filter. HX Line. Magnefine Tranny Filter
15w-40 Amsoil oil w/single bypass filter. ZooDad. DP-Tuner 80hp Ecno PCM. 4 guage pod ISSPRO gauges. Napa BTM.
BFG A/T 285/75 R16. Power Slot Rotors w/ Hawk
Pads Bilstein Shocks, PML Rear Diff Cover
Sirius Satellite, JL Audio aftermarket speakers, 500w 5 channel amp, 2-10s

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them."
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

I didn't really notice because it was night time and on side of road and coolant was empty when my friend brought me some water to get me home
the tank looked clean not all milky. when I got home I drained the water out and it was brown kinda but it was water not antifreeze.I am confused but do know the coolant gasser tank will empty itself going streight to oil pan without truck running with or without pressure tester, and truck run fine.
I will take any help on this and check truck again tonight thanks again rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 03:05 AM

My Photos: (0)

Well Rob, I had my coolent leak into my oilpan with the truck sitting for 2 weeks with the injectors pulled. Found 3 injector tubes cracked at the bottom & had to be replaced. You likely have leaking injector tubes, bad head gasket, cracked head or something in those areas causing your coolent leak. JMHO [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

Reg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Ram 3500 Dually Laramie. Austin Tan Pearlcoat/Light Greystone Pearlcoat. You Lost Out Ford.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fulltiming. Gone Haulin. 38 ft 5ver.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Im getting ready to pull the heads tomarrow. was it hard to see the cracks in the injector tubes. when I get them ill take to machine shop for checks
I was also thinking could the front aluminum cover in any way?
I have searched the web and seams Im the only one who ever had this powerstroke case of coolant in oil question.
I guess everybody goes to the dealer.

I can do the work but cant determine where the problem is so I need to start somewhere . but you know dont want it to be the last place I look. thanks again. Rob My ears are open !
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 06:10 PM

My Photos: (1)

You don't have to pull the heads. Just pull the valve covers and pull the injectors. At least one of the tubes will be cracked.

Also get the oil OUT NOW and get some cheap fresh oil in it and run it for just long enough to circulate the new oil, 24 hrs and your bearings can be toast.

Wayne B

2000 F-250 XLT PSD 4X4 ESOF Auto, SC, LB, Gauges, Mag-HyTech Trans Pan & Rear End Cover, <font color="red"> (((XM))) Inside</font>, ATV Racks w/ Two Kawasaki Prairie 400 4X4's sitting on them, 25' Rockwood TT. Ashburn, Va. Member # 103

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

well removed injectors today to check for cracked injector cups and found none
with injectors removed and oil plug out , L filled coolant and it gravety feed to oil pan and i could here a whistle when putting rubber tube to my ear and to oil return holes and where pushrod come up.could hear it without tube. tube directed it to oil return hole
it was loudest at the front oil drain hole in heads.
Its ether headgasket or front cover but you just cant look inside and see anything
cant really drop oil pan to see where coolant is flowing from without raising engine off mounts because only one inch from crossmenber
I put pressure and deffently could here water spray at oil returns and air got to the leak it would whistle and hiss but its like listing in a cave but cant see. if you know what I mean
so that where I am. any idea which way to go now .
how hard is it to see any cracks in the injector cups and when I pressurize the systen wouldnt coolant come into the cups and fill the cyls.
my ears are still open. thanks again. rob
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 12:04 AM

My Photos: (7)

There are 3 or 4 freeze plugs under each valve cover. I blew one clean out and filled the engine with water 124 miles after replacing head gaskets and replacing those freeze plugs. I figured I must have gotten one that was a little undersize.

A little quality assurance would have been better than a mountain of customer service in that situation for me.

I can't remember how the front cover looks regarding water going thru it, but maybe that's leaking.

clam the powerstroke grinch
2000 Excursion LTD 4x4
Slightly tweaked HPCR 5.9 Cummins
Allison 1000 5 speed auto
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 12:09 AM

Rjdavis look into my webshots pictures....

Early'99(11/98) F-250 XLT swb,CC,4x4,HX hose,in-tank/PP mod,Poontank,Tymar Intake, 4"turbo back straight piped, DP-Tuner PMT1w/80hp eco,BDP 6-Postition Chip, BTS tranny, 4"DR,35"x13.5x20 Toyo AT's on 20x9 IceMetal 889's,IDM Mod, Cooling Mist Water...
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 12:14 AM

I had to replace all of my injector cups. They press in your heads and require a green lock tite to seal them. To find my leak I put rags in the bottoms and pressurized the coolant system. Don't go over 20 psi. I had drips coming out between the copper injector cup and the head at the top. They aren't too bad to replace if you have the knowledge and right tools. But it should be noticeable if they are leaking out of the top. Unless they are leaking downward through the pistons, but then water would fill your combustion chamber...?

Early'99(11/98) F-250 XLT swb,CC,4x4,HX hose,in-tank/PP mod,Poontank,Tymar Intake, 4"turbo back straight piped, DP-Tuner PMT1w/80hp eco,BDP 6-Postition Chip, BTS tranny, 4"DR,35"x13.5x20 Toyo AT's on 20x9 IceMetal 889's,IDM Mod, Cooling Mist Water...
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

yea I filled coolant system with water and it starts comming out oil pan I put 15psi on system and no water came into any of the injector cups. so after work if im not to tired ill check back to see if there is any othe post thanks a bunch and very helpful pics . rob [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

found it

Well after debai [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]ting what to do and talked to a ford tech rep. it turns out that the powerstrokes that came from factory with green antifreeze must be tested for the correct SCAs and kept at the correct level or cavation is taking place behind water pump pitting holes in front cover.
and behold after removing water pump there it was . pitting the size of a penny.
and had one small pin hole just big enough to stick a sowing needle through.
Rep said if useing gold coolant from ford or some fleet type coolant the SCAs dont need to be checked . anyway if I can figure a way to link or post pic I will.
so now it off with $400.00 front cover
remove fuel filter housing, hp oil pump, fan and rad. and everything else.
and raise engine off its mounts 4 inches to unbolt pickup tube from inside botton of front cover.
forget removing oil pan with engine in truckjust clean everything real good and reseal when reinstalling
new cover , all new gaskets and water pump, new belt and Gold coolant. $700.00
my labor
and stll have to clean oil and fuel out cyls and put injectors back
thats life. I'll let you know when its finnished . thank you all ..... rob
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 08:05 PM

My Photos: (1)
Re: found it

Rob,
Don't be fooled into thinking you don't need to check your nitrite levels in the gold coolant, because it ain't true. I too fell for the gold hype until I tested my coolant a couple weeks ago and it only tested out at 800ppm. 1200ppm is minimum protection with 2.0 being ideal. I took some straight from the bottle and dilluted it with distilled water 50/50 and the results are exactly the same. Do a search and you find lots of good info on this subject. I have since flushed my gold coolant after just 20K and replaced with Fleetrite ELC coolant which is good for 300K, but I will still keep an eye on the protection level.
BTW. I am glad at least you now know what the problem is, be glad you have the ability to fix it because that would be one huge bill from Ferd!!!

NCH
2000 Ford F350 4X4 Auto,Crew Cab Lariat, Western Hauler Package, Long bed,
Isspro EV Guages on A-Pillar, Coolant change from Green to Gold to Red,
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 08:05 PM

My 2000 just showed coolant in oil on my first Blackstone test at 106k. I haven't done anything to locate the problem. It was .08% I am going to check again at 110k. I am hoping it will be something easier than the front cover. I recently replaced my water pump and switched to Rotella ELC. I was watching my SCAs on the green so hopefully I don't have the cavitation issue. I doubt that I can find my problem with a pressure test since the amount is so small. Any suggestions on where to look?

Tom

2002 F-350 SRW Regular Cab 4x4, CM RD Truckbed, 05-07 Front, Warn M12000 Hidden Winch Kit
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 08:08 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)

[ QUOTE ]
Well after debai [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]ting what to do and talked to a ford tech rep. it turns out that the powerstrokes that came from factory with green antifreeze must be tested for the correct SCAs and kept at the correct level or cavation is taking place behind water pump pitting holes in front cover.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the cavitation issue was at the cylinders, not at the front cover. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

Classic pump cavitation due to low suction pressure typically pits the impeller in the area where the pressure comes back up to collapse the vapor bubbles.

Was your pitting and the hole near the center of the pump impeller?

Sorry to hear about your problem, but glad that you got it identified and are underway to fixing it.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in