99 350 Electrial issue - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 350 Electrial issue

Today I was driving and my battery light came on when the truck was at an idle. I was near my shop so I went back to it. I checked the voltage and it was low as suspected 12.8. Then I shut the truck off and located an alternator. As I went to leave to go pick it up I went to start the truck it turned over as if the batteries were bad. It made about 6 revolutions and stoped and the entire truck was dead. The left side positive terminal was warm so I disconected the battries. When I was disconecting them it the teriminals thru some sparks as if there was a short. I gave it some thought and figured the alternator had a dead short so I unhooked to see If that would correct rhe problem and it did not. Then I discontcted the solinoind on the fender and still no fix.

As of right now the truck has no power on anything head lights dash radio or anything and the teriminals act as if something is drawing power!!

I am a desent mechanic and can fix many things on the truck but I am at a loss on this one.... Maybe it is right in front of my face and im not seeing it. Ive been a member sense 05 but couldnt log in for some reason .

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Eyeball the cables for a short to ground.

Everything goes thru the starter relay (solenoid) on the fender. If you don't find something on the cables to the starter, try disconnecting the fusible links on the hot terminal on the fender one by one and see if the power draw is still there. One goes to the engine to power the GPR and IAHR and connect to the alternator. The other goes over to the power distribution box under the hood near the master cylinder.

On your previous login, you can contact Administrator via PM with your old username and ask for your password. There's supposed to be a "forgot password" feature that e-mails you, but I'm not sure it's working (won't if you've changed your e-mail since signing up, for sure).

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

I took everything off the fenderwell sol. and still nothing. Are those the links you were refering to? It still has a draw and the terminal still gets warm and no power to anything on the truck.

Im going to work on the other log in later tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 07:09 PM

When both batteries are connected, one could be bad and the other one could be attempting to charge it. First thing I'd do is check voltage on both and fully charge them separately. If you have a clamp on dc meter, check the cable between the batteries. All this is just a guess on my part, but you've checked a lot of the obvious stuff.

-- 2013 F-350 psd, 4x4, cc, lb, Lariat
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 07:15 PM

Couple thoughts foryou-
Perhaps one of your batteries has shorted. By connecting both, the 'load' could be the other battery. Get them load tested, and you might be able to see it with a voltmeter. Check each one individually and see if there is a discrepancy in voltage between the 2.

Your starter is connected on the other end of the battery cable, along with 1 side of the relay on the fender. The other wire on the relay goes to the solenoid. Check the voltage on both sides of the starter relay on the fender. One side should be batt voltage, the other should be 0 until the key goes to the 'start' position.

Keep in mind, the fuse links for the gpr, aih, and alt are in parallel. There are 2, side by side. Another single link is for the power distribution box.

Tom
99.5 PS CC 4x4 SRW ZF-6
Triple Pillar Gauges; Fuel pres, Pyro, Boost
AE, Alldatadiy, and half a clue
- AKA "The Big White Truck"

PM please. No Visitor Msg if you want a response anytime soon
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 02:44 PM

batteries

I had a similar issue could not trace it, Thought it was batteries first but had them checked and they were fine. then replaced cables, would work for a while then nothing. rebuilt starter and ok again for a while. alternator went, thought that was it, replaced and same thing. tested batteries again and it turned out to have a bad cell connection. Good sometimes and not others. when your power is out give the battery a slight jar see if it changes.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Ok guys got some things figured out... I unhooked the batteries for the night. This morning I hooked up all the wires out the sol. Then hooked up the right battery and heard the starter sol. click then hooked up the left battery then the hot wire on the all. And it started right up. Tested both batteries and both good but all is putting out low voltage. So not sure what the problem was.... Thanks for the help!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 05:18 PM

Neither the starter relay (fender) nor starter solenoid (starter) should 'click' just by hooking up the batteries. The ONLY time they should click is when the key is turned to the 'start' position.

Tom
99.5 PS CC 4x4 SRW ZF-6
Triple Pillar Gauges; Fuel pres, Pyro, Boost
AE, Alldatadiy, and half a clue
- AKA "The Big White Truck"

PM please. No Visitor Msg if you want a response anytime soon
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:35 PM

Bad ignition switch?

2003 7.3 F-350 XLT 2WD CC, 285,000K,4" Back~ 6" S.S. Miter Stack, International bellowed up pipes, K&N Intake W/Riffraff 6637 Filter,Ebpv delete,Garrett38r Turbo, Garrett high flow outlet, Stage 1 Injectors, PHP Hydra W/GearHead Tunes, Riffraff Plenum inserts, , Riffraff IC and plenum boots, Powder Coated Blue IC Tubes, Pricol Optix- Pyro,Boost,Trans , Hutch and Harpoon mod, Baldwin pre-filter,Rear Shackles,Custom box 12s behind rear,Kicker,Bluray,HDTV's

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in