99 7.3 F250 stalling problem - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 7.3 F250 stalling problem

Hi all,

*Bought the truck about a week ago, went to go look at it and it started up great and ran great no hiccups or anything. Two days later, the day I bought it, it had very low fuel, (on Empty), well I drove it approximately 5 miles to the closest fuel station and filled it to 1/4 just to get home. Ran great on the way home. Truck sits for a day in my driveway and when i go to fire it up it idles good for about a minute or two then stalls as if the key was tuned off. Go to crank it back up and it starts fine then stalls again. I continued starting it and letting it idle a couple more times until the idles got choppy and started surging. Still has the same 1/4 of fuel in it.

I tried to get as much data from the truck as I could while it was running, ICP was about 500-800 cranking and 400-700 at idle, duty cycle was around 14-27%.*

I replaced Cam Shaft Position sensor with a gray one from the auto store. Made no difference. I unplugged ICP sensor (it has oil in it so probably bad) and the ICP ratings were higher, about 1000*cranking and 800-1000 at idle. But it still stalled after about 1 minute.*
When the engine stalls the only lights on the dash are a "service engine soon" light and the "engine oil/coolant temp light" that one is usually always on, not sure why.

My next course of action is going to be replacing the fuel filter and seeing if the pump is filling the bowl, and if there are any bubbles.
I only included the part about the low fuel because I*am concerned that I may have picked up air in the system, or perhaps the fuel pickup in the tank got clogged.* I know there will be a code stored since the SES light came on, but the code reader I have*(the same one that works for my 04 6.0) won't pick up any codes from the system on the truck.*

Where should I go next, I would really appreciate some input and guidance. Thanks!
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Early 1999 F250 7.3PSD 150,000 miles. Straight Pipe. Air intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:27 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
If it stalls like the key is turned off, it's not a fuel supply issue.

Something is going on electrically. You'll need to get your scan tool to work on it so you can get the codes.

It could be an issue with CPS wiring or other sensor wiring that shorts out with engine vibration. Those can be tricky to track down.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, ok I will try to follow the wiring for the CPS and look for any chafing or frayed wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 11:27 AM

Sounds like the computer is shutting it off because of an open permissive in the program due to something like an oil switch not sensing oil pressure...? Had that issue on my Chevy gasser, donít know if one exists on our 7.3ís.
My symptom was a consistent shut-off time from starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 F350 DRW, Super-Cab, 4WD, ESOF, SB, Lariat LE, 7.3L DI PSD, 4R100, 4.10, 210k miles, Hypertech Tuner, Fender Flares Steps and Spoiler Pkg, Sun Visor.
New CPS and rear speed sensor @130K. Original Tranny!?

72 F250 390 PS, Front discs, 350K mi, New motor @ 300k, original C-6 Tranny
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE!!

I charged both batteries, added 5 gallons of fuel and started the truck up. Started up strong but I had to push the accelerator to keep it going until it eventually died after about 2 minutes. BUT, I was finally able to pull codes from it!
Codes pulled: P0113, P0603, P0705, P0755, P1280
So I know some of those are transmission codes but how could any of these cause the truck to stall.
(The icp is currently unplugged, FYI)
I looked at a lot of wiring trying to find some exposed wires but came up short. I did find some fraying on the wires for the 42 pin connector that rest on the driver side valve cover but it wasn't too bad and I taped them back up.

Any ideas what's going on?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

It's interesting this time when the truck was running I had to keep my foot on the accelerator to keep it running, when I let off the accelerator RPM dropped to about 500 then to zero and it stalled. Not the abrupt stall as if it was electrical.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 08:42 PM

P0113 IAT (Intake Air Temperature) Sensor Circuit High Input -- Probably not the cause of the stall, but could indicate wires shorted to the VREF circuit from the PCM.
P0603 Internal Control Module KAM (Keep Alive Memory) Error -- probably because you disconnected power to the PCM, or have a tuner installed.
P0705 TR (Transmission Range) Sensor Circuit Malfunction -- More indications that wires may be messed up.
P0755 Shift Solenoid B Malfunction
P1280 ICP Circuit Out of Range Low -- Because you have unplugged the ICP sensor.

OK, I'd check fuel supply. Also check to be sure your IPR coil is held on securely by the tin nut. It's possible that the IPR is bad as well.

The IPR is trying to figure out what to do because it can't see the actual ICP pressure. The PCM bases the signal to the IPR on whatever else it can determine, like temperature sensors, engine RPM, Accelerator Pedal position, etc.

Will it start and run with the ICP plugged in?

Again, wiring seems to be an issue in a few spots. Those can be tough to track down.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:26 PM

If you can monitor IPC and IPR Duty Cycle at the same time, it will tell you if that's a problem. I would put a new ICP sensor on if it has oil in it. That may fix your issue. Could also need an IPR, but I'd hold off on replacing that till you can do some good diagnosis.
The dealer could do the diagnosis for you. If they can pinpoint the issue, you could purchase the parts and do it yourself. There's nothing saying that you have to agree to them fixing it, but they do have the capability to do a proper diagnosis.

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
P0113 IAT (Intake Air Temperature) Sensor Circuit High Input -- Probably not the cause of the stall, but could indicate wires shorted to the VREF circuit from the PCM.
P0603 Internal Control Module KAM (Keep Alive Memory) Error -- probably because you disconnected power to the PCM, or have a tuner installed.
P0705 TR (Transmission Range) Sensor Circuit Malfunction -- More indications that wires may be messed up.
P0755 Shift Solenoid B Malfunction
P1280 ICP Circuit Out of Range Low -- Because you have unplugged the ICP sensor.

OK, I'd check fuel supply. Also check to be sure your IPR coil is held on securely by the tin nut. It's possible that the IPR is bad as well.

The IPR is trying to figure out what to do because it can't see the actual ICP pressure. The PCM bases the signal to the IPR on whatever else it can determine, like temperature sensors, engine RPM, Accelerator Pedal position, etc.

Will it start and run with the ICP plugged in?

Again, wiring seems to be an issue in a few spots. Those can be tough to track down.
I replaced the icp today with an OEM unit from Ford. I am now getting normal icp readings and ipr readings have always been within spec. The tin nut is very secure, the whole ipr looks pretty old in general.
I have continued to look over the trucks wiring but have yet to find any bad wires. I was able to pull two more codes today:
B1450
B1352.

Last edited by Wrenchwork; 10-20-2019 at 11:25 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
If you can monitor IPC and IPR Duty Cycle at the same time, it will tell you if that's a problem. I would put a new ICP sensor on if it has oil in it. That may fix your issue. Could also need an IPR, but I'd hold off on replacing that till you can do some good diagnosis.
The dealer could do the diagnosis for you. If they can pinpoint the issue, you could purchase the parts and do it yourself. There's nothing saying that you have to agree to them fixing it, but they do have the capability to do a proper diagnosis.
I am using forscan to help monitor the truck right now, I did the buzz test and every injector buzzed and did a cylinder contribution test and it came back with no issues. I will try to post a link to a video of the truck running so it's easier to explain.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchwork View Post
I replaced the icp today with an OEM unit from Ford. I am not getting normal icp readings and ipr readings have always been within spec. The tin nut is very secure, the whole ipr looks pretty old in general.
I have continued to look over the trucks wiring but have yet to find any bad wires. I was able to pull two more codes today:
B1450
B1352.
Those B codes won't affect the engine, Don't know the specifics right now, but they have to do with GEM controlled functions. Ignore them for now.

Disconnect all the engine sensor wiring connectors and the 42 pin connector, then take your multimeter and probe the ICP connector terminals to see if any are shorted together. Also check between each terminal and engine ground (you'll have to reconnect the 42 pin for that. If you find any two circuits shorted together, you'll have to unwrap the harness and figure out where that's happening.
You might have something as simple as a bad EBP sensor, which will affect other sensors because they share common circuits. You can try disconnecting the EBP and see what that does as well.

), AIS,
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in