AC issues - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AC issues

2000 F-250 7.3 with 190,000 miles is having AC issues. Works good then starts blowing warm air. I turn it off for a few seconds and turn it back on and all is good for awhile, then repeat.

Had it to 4 places, still not fixed. One said it's probably freezing up. Another said the same thing and removed the refrigerant and replaced. Still didn't work.

Thoughts?

I think it's the orginal compressor. Suggestions for repair/replace compressor?

2000 F-250; 7.3; standard cab; long bed; less than 200,000; third owner;
2012 F-350; 6.7; crew cab; long bed; 4x4; King Ranch Lariat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:39 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

A CCOT system can't freeze up, and having too much freon would actually keep a system from freezing up on a system that could.

Anyway - check your air gap. It's a known problem on these trucks as they age. The electromagnet in the clutch loses its grip on the plate and the system quits cooling. Turn the system off, the magnet cools down a bit, and then it will grab again. After you get the gap fixed, you'll have to get someone competent to recharge the system to the correct charge.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:11 PM

You may have a vacuum hose with a leak. Check to make sure the blend doors are working. Your truck is 19 years old. My how time flies. Vacuum hoses start to crack and fail when they get old. I would check there first. make sure the controls are working properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:16 PM
RT

The blend door (just one) is a good idea - it is controlled by a stepper motor located just behind the glove box. The position dampers are vacuum controlled, so if you have air coming out from a register where it isn't supposed to be, get those hoses replaced.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:05 PM

My Photos: (1)
CCOT systems with faulty pressostats do freeze up. If the switch opens at less 20 psi the system will freeze up evaporator solid and may not go below 21 psi. If it is freezing over then you will be able to see the line out of evap housing going to accumulator and part or all of accumulator will have ice on it. If it quits cooling pull over safely somewhere and leave engine running, a/c on, and open hood and inspect.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:30 PM
RT

That's absolutely true, but his "mechanic" said it was overcharged and let refrigerant out of the system. Hopefully, he wouldn't have done that with a suction pressure in the 20s. Also, the OP said he would turn it off for a few seconds and back on and it would work. A frozen evaporator core would take a little bit longer to defrost. Although in the heat you and I experience, it wouldn't take too much longer...

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:28 AM

Wow, RT. Thanks for the video post. Very helpful. That might have something to do with my AC issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in