air in fuel system - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
air in fuel system

I drive a 99, 7.3L and am having problems. Not regularly but often I will shut off and come back later and the truck won't start. fires and dies. I "burp" by draining filter and turning on the key and running fuel out on the ground. Then it will start. I replaced the pump in line under drivers door attached to the rail. Thought my problem was solved. week later started acting up again. Usually, after I get going again it runs perfectly. On two occasstions it ran but really rough without power until i stopped and re burped again. I don't see fuel on ground but suspect a small leak in the fuel line. Any experience with this type problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:27 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
How full is your tank? If it's below 1/4 tank, you may have a tank pickup foot that's letting air in. You draining the fuel bowl may help the pump get primed after it air-locks by relieving the pressure. The connections at the suction side of the fuel pump use o-rings and tend to leak under suction.

There's an old mod called the Hutch mod that removes the in-tank filters, reroutes the return line inside the tank to get aerated fuel away from the pickup and eliminate the quick-connect o-ring suction line connections. You can buy a kit do that from one of the aftermarket vendors. Here's one. hutch mod

Welcome to TheDieselStop

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:03 AM

What klhansen said ^^^ I just did my first Hutch Mod from a kit and is very easy. Also, a couple of our long time members had reccomended a fuel gauge (electric) in the cabin—very glad I did this also.

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8’ Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

My problems started with a full tank. This has been ongoing for past month. When running fine there are no symptoms. Yesterday the truck started cold just fine. Drove 50 miles under load with no symptoms. On return trip stopped engine first time for fill up, was down to about eighth of a tank. After fill up had a 10 minute idle then when I pulled out I lost my power. Could not get over 23000 rpm and 35 mph. Drove this way for about 10 minutes then pulled off and shut off. The truck did not seem to be running rough but the check light was slightly flickering. After restart all symptoms were gone again. Drove home with no symptoms. Neighbor came over and pulled codes. No engine codes were stored. During the past month of issues this has only happened 3 times, the bulk of the symptoms occur after shut off and trying to restart after setting for half hour or more. I am wondering about dried out o rings or faulty check valves but I am guessing. Hoping someone can give me a direction to go. I have changed the fuel filter. The in tank filters being clogged don't match the no symptoms over prolonged periods. Thanks
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:14 PM

My Photos: (180)
I wish my engine could make 23000 rpm.
What did your neighbor use to pull codes? If it's a generic code reader, it's not going to work. If the check engine light was flickering, there WILL be codes stored, but it takes a Powerstroke capable scan tool to pull them. AutoEnginuity or other aftermarket tools will work.

You need to get the codes pulled and then we can give you more options on where to look for the cause of your problem.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:43 AM

Probably plugged pick up in tank.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:39 AM
Supporting Member

My Photos: (11)
Does anyone know if Hutch From Augusta was able to make any money off hiss invention? I really hope hid didn't get ripped off by people cashing in on his work. I run the Hutch Mod with the Housted T Filter arrangement.
Bill

2002 F350 CC, LB, 4X4, 7.3, 6 Speed. Billet Compresor Wheel. Ford AIS Filter. Frx, Hpx, CVD Fittings. Bank's Bighead Actuator, PHP Hydra and a Bunch of Other Mods. Towing 2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th. Wheel. US Navy Retired E8. Hoping for Liberty and Justice for All.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Does anyone know if Hutch From Augusta was able to make any money off hiss invention? I really hope hid didn't get ripped off by people cashing in on his work. I run the Hutch Mod with the Housted T Filter arrangement.
Bill

I really don't know. But since the information has always been free, and you don't have to buy anything from a specific place to do it. I'm guess he got a whole lot of cudos, and nothing else. Also, theres no copy write on it. That's a high percentage, NO, and Yes to others that sell kits.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:15 AM
Supporting Member

My Photos: (11)
No big deal now as Hutch and Housted went over to the dark side (Dodge).

Bill

2002 F350 CC, LB, 4X4, 7.3, 6 Speed. Billet Compresor Wheel. Ford AIS Filter. Frx, Hpx, CVD Fittings. Bank's Bighead Actuator, PHP Hydra and a Bunch of Other Mods. Towing 2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th. Wheel. US Navy Retired E8. Hoping for Liberty and Justice for All.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

I have driven the truck pretty hard for the past week with no symptoms. I am beginning to think I had two separate issues. I think I might have fixed the air in the line problem with the replacement pump. I think the loss of power I experienced at three different occasions while driving was a separate issue. Those issues disappeared after shut off and restart. could I have a computer issue that is popping up and goes away with a "reboot"? Nothing is showing up in when I pulled the codes other that a ABS issue that I have had for years.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:57 AM

No, the cpu can't do that . Its either dead, or working. Most likely working. THey are very robust and rarely have issues of there own. 99.9 % of the time its a sensor issue. Also, the cpu can't mess up like your lap top does when you get a bad update. Its not that type of computer and as said, its either dead, or working, very rare anything else. They can be tested though, and if gone can be rebuilt. Or the best bet, because they are so robust, is to go to a wrecker and grab one that matches.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in