Alternator/melted wire question, 2002 F250 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alternator/melted wire question, 2002 F250

My 2002 7.3 quit charging and I verified that there was no charge going to the batteries. Had a look today and on the passenger side battery, there was a melted set of wires attached the side positive post. Do these route back to the alternator? Or part of the fuse system? Or did my alternator start putting out to much voltage and melted the wires? I uploaded photos but I'm not sure how to get them to view on the thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01751.JPG
Views:	19325
Size:	612.7 KB
ID:	5696  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01752.JPG
Views:	18671
Size:	546.9 KB
ID:	5697  

2010 Ford F250 CC Lariat 4x4, Spartanized

Last edited by dgiles; 11-24-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

New update, pulled the alternator, had it checked and it grounded itself. Therefore it fried what I assume were the fusable twin wires right at the passenger battery post. Ford spent 15 min and could not find the part and all they wanted to do was replace the harness. Napa drew a quick blank. Does anyone know the part # or gauge of fuse? Can it be replaced? In Canada, so does anyone know where to get one? Can I install myself, because I didn't think it could be soldered, only crimped.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:04 PM

You probably have an 8 gauge battery wire and a 12 gauge fuse link. If you can't find any fuse wire you could use a maxi fuse.

2000 F250 Lariat CC SB 4x4 PSD Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgiles View Post
New update, pulled the alternator, had it checked and it grounded itself. Therefore it fried what I assume were the fusable twin wires right at the passenger battery post. Ford spent 15 min and could not find the part and all they wanted to do was replace the harness. Napa drew a quick blank. Does anyone know the part # or gauge of fuse? Can it be replaced? In Canada, so does anyone know where to get one? Can I install myself, because I didn't think it could be soldered, only crimped.
Here's the info on fuseible links from the 99 Service Manual

Fusible links are short lengths of wire that are smaller in diameter than the wires they are protecting. Fusible link wire is covered with a special thick, non-flammable insulation. An overload condition causes the insulation to blister. If the overload condition continues, the wire link will melt. To check a fusible link, look for blistered insulation. If the insulation is okay, pull lightly on the wire; if the fusible link stretches, the wire has melted.

When replacing fusible links, first cut the protected wire where it is connected to the fusible link. Then, tightly crimp or solder the new link to the protected wire.

Fusible links are often identified by color coding of the insulation, as shown here:
Code:

Wire Link Size        Insulation Color
20 GA                       Blue
18 GA                  Brown or Red
16 GA                Black or Orange
14 GA                      Green
12 GA                        Gray
The circuit diagrams show all the charging system fusible links as 12 GA, Gray.
This is from a 99 service manual, but I'd be surprised if other years had smaller fuseible links.

You should be able to get fusible link wire at about any auto parts store, although I've never tried. Not surprised that your Ford place couldn't find them. They probably get them in a kit with an assortment of sizes/colors, and the guy was probably looking for a part #.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Old 11-24-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Yep your right. It is grey and the wire has melted. Found some fusable links at the auto parts store. You would have thought that considering an alternator usually goes at some time or more in a trucks life, and a large percentage will short, causing the fusable link go, they would have come up with a better way to replace that link.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Yep your right. It is grey and the wire has melted. Found some fusable links at the auto parts store. You would have thought that considering an alternator usually goes at some time or more in a trucks life, and a large percentage will short, causing the fusable link go, they would have come up with a better way to replace that link.

The fusable link is a cheaper alternative to a circuit breaker or high-amp fuse. And, it takes more careful repair to replace than either of the other two methods which forces shadetree mechanics to search for the short rather than just resetting the breaker or replacing a fuse.

Current truck: 2002 PSD 4x4, CC, XLT, F350 dually, 4.10 gears. Air bags, 6.0 trans cooler, Fleetrite ELC, ISSPRO gauges (boost, EGT, trans, fuel pressure), PHP Hydra, full EBPV delete (pedestal & outlet), CNC Fab HP & HPX lines, Riff Raff FRX, Riff Raff IC boots, CCV mod w/catchcan, Reese Titan, AIS, ITP pre-pump filter kit, in-tank mods, Redhead steering box, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Ultra-Power bellows up-pipes, 6.7L starter.

Old truck: 2000 PSD 4x4, ext cab, XLT, F-350, auto, V-code springs, air bags, coolant filter, 203 thermostat, CCV mod, Fleetrite ELC, DB Alternator, DB high-torque starter, Tru-cool Max-cool trans cooler, B&M trans temp gauge, 47 gallon Titan tank, ITP pre-pump filter kit.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
You would have thought that considering an alternator usually goes at some time or more in a trucks life, and a large percentage will short, causing the fusable link go, they would have come up with a better way to replace that link.
It is rare to have to replace a fuse link when an alternator fails. It's just a guess but I'd wager a Big Mac and fries that there are at least a thousand alternators replaced for every fuse link. I have rebuilt dozens of alternators and I can't remember ever replacing a fuse link at the same time.

2000 F250 Lariat CC SB 4x4 PSD Auto
Old 07-02-2012, 04:33 PM

just did a search on this, thanks for the info . Batteries were not charging batt light was on , fusible link melted, thinking of putting in a 50 amp max fuse, because I can't find the amp rating of the link , and I'd rather replace a fuse than the wire.

early 99 f350 cc dually 6 speed K&N cone filter, delete airbox, edge 3 stage, good cupholder ,warn hubs,90k
Old 07-02-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e94racer View Post
just did a search on this, thanks for the info . Batteries were not charging batt light was on , fusible link melted, thinking of putting in a 50 amp max fuse, because I can't find the amp rating of the link , and I'd rather replace a fuse than the wire.
I think your idea of just using a 50A fuse will be problematic when the alt puts out much more than that. You would be much better off getting the 12g grey fuse links and using them. They are not as difficult to replace as you think.

Tom
99.5 PS CC 4x4 SRW ZF-6
Triple Pillar Gauges; Fuel pres, Pyro, Boost
AE, Alldatadiy, and half a clue
- AKA "The Big White Truck"

PM please. No Visitor Msg if you want a response anytime soon
Old 07-02-2012, 08:24 PM

Agree totally with tinman.

Considering that your alternator is rated for 110 Amps, even two 50A fuses in parallel would probably fry pretty soon.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

Old 11-17-2019, 05:44 PM

Garage
e94Racer
So what fuse size amp worked? I have the same issue and can't find any solid answers.
Thank you
Old 11-17-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masgrosero View Post
e94Racer
So what fuse size amp worked? I have the same issue and can't find any solid answers.
Thank you
The answers are above: Replace the fusible link wire.

), AIS,
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in