Alternator repeated fail - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By DonWarkentin
  • 1 Post By Absolute

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alternator repeated fail

Original owner 02 Powerstroke F250. 170K miles. I just replaced my forth alternator due to bearing seizure. All pulleys look aligned, tensioner seems working fine. Count is: One OEM, one aftermarket local shop, one O'Reily, one NAPA (new not rebuilt). I could blame the auto parts houses but beginning to think it's another issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:46 PM

My Photos: (1)
I have replaced a lot of 95-2003 7.3 alternators but never for bearing failure. Something is definitely going on. You should have someone rev the engine up very slowly to 2200 RPM (that is the upper end of revs that any gearing makes that engine turn at 70-75 MPH) and see if there is any shaking of the alternator or any other weirdness with belt, etc.
From your post I think you are saying all the alternators failed from bearing issues. Did they all go about the same distance or did the OE one go a longer span and each replacement a lot less miles?

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Actually, OEM lasted less than 40K miles. Not sure about bearing failure in first two but think they are still in a barn. On the road but will check when back at the coup. Last two definitely bearing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

This one from OReily, last one from NAPA just froze.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F10D733-5572-4340-91C7-DAA67BCB89E3_1558563595169.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	866.0 KB
ID:	127234  

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:55 PM

One thing to check is to see if you have the right serpentine belt. There are two different belts that differ slightly in length depending upon whether or not you have the cold weather package. If you are supposed to have the longer belt, but instead you have the shorter belt, that could make it too tight and cause the bearings to fail. How tight is the belt?
ArcticDriver likes this.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Well, that’s certainly a thought, think my original is behind the back seat as a spare. No tensioning issues installing new belt with any of the above alternators.
Thanks!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:29 PM

Did you get the lifetime warranty alternator from O'Reilly's this time?

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:32 AM

Also look at the accessories you have installed if any. Even high power stereo systems. Normally a bearing failure on an alternator is not from tension, but instead from heat. Over loaded alternators get real hot. That's why the ambulance package was made with the extra alternator for all the gear. I had 2 alternators sieze, 8hrs after install on my backhoe. Because the mechanic didn't charge the batteries before re starting the hoe. Burned up both of them. Last one was glowing when it failed. I did the 3rd install, and the alternator came with a big cardboard card attached to it so you cant miss it, saying make sure to fully charge batteries before starting, or it may fail, and warranty is void if you don't. Wonder how the mechanic missed that , twice.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:35 AM

Also, if yours came with no pulley, like mine did, on my truck I mean. THen that means you put the pulley on it. If you over tighten the nut, you ruin the bearings.
ArcticDriver likes this.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:12 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlejohn1 View Post
Well, thatís certainly a thought, think my original is behind the back seat as a spare. No tensioning issues installing new belt with any of the above alternators.
Thanks!
Only if you are sure that it is the original, then is it possible to read a P/N?

What is the P/N of the belt currently installed?

My thought was the same as Don's, that you might have the wrong belt installed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in