Boost 20PSI with some mods.. Should it be better? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Boost 20PSI with some mods.. Should it be better?

HI everyone I am looking forward to using this forum I have read on it regularly for probably 2 years. It is a GREAT source for information.

Anyway I own 2, 2001 7.3s the one in question is my most recent acquisition. It's a 01 Dually It appears to have Banks six gun tuner, Banks ram air, Banks exhaust, Banks Big Head wastegate. The tuner has pyrometer and boost gauge etc. Trans was redone & upgraded torque converter , not sure by who, and not sure whats innem. I cant crest 20 psi Im wondering why what I could investigate to improve it, is adjusting the waste gate actuator the way to go? I don't know that's why I am hear. Thanks in advance for your patience as I am learning as I go here. Only about a year and a half experience in mechanics but I do love it and I do love my trucks.

Last edited by NSBuilds; 09-04-2018 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 10:18 AM

Welcome to the forum. Sorry no one has chimed in sooner but there are several things that could be affecting low turbo boost. You could have leaking CAC boots (those silicone hoses that connect all of the large turbo tubes together). You could have a worn out turbo. You could have leaking up-pipes from where the tubes coming from the exhaust manifolds connect to the rear of the turbo via the "baby's bottom" collector. You could have a low power motor that simply can't get up the power to produce any higher boost in the turbo.

And, as you mentioned, it could be that the waste gate controller is bleeding off the the turbo pressure before it needs to. I'm not familiar enough with how the Banks Bighead works but in reality unless you've got larger than stock injectors you're probably never going to make enough boost with a basically stock motor to even have to worry about needing a wastegate at all. It just ain't going to happen. If you were to do some mods to the motor enough to push yourself up closer to the 30lb area and above, I would then be more concerned with dialing in the waste gate accordingly so as to give you the power you want without damaging the turbo. But, probably by that time, you'd have a better than factory turbo on it anyway and it could handle more pressure :-)

There is lots of information on each of these areas that you should be able to read up on after doing a search or two on each. Good luck!

Early 99 F350 4X4 CC 7.3 Auto. A.R.E. Topper, bed carpet/bench inserts, Rhino grill guard, AIS w/sleeve, Fuel filler mod, GOS headlight harness, 02-04 Headlights, Rancho HD stabilizer, 06 Telescoping/heated mirrors with C-Btr Mirrors, Hella FF1000, Htr Bypass valve, front receiver hitch, Quadzilla XZT gauges, ITP Pre-pump/In-tank mods, Pioneer P5000UB w/XM radio, 4 Infinity Kappa 682.7cf, Fumoto valve, FIAMM Highway blaster horns, SS HPX, IDM mod, DP F5 (Stock,Drive-thru,60T,80E,120,80E-Mountain,1200), Walker BTM, RR, Dieselsite BRV, BTS Tranny (2nd one :-), 31 row tranny cooler, Bilstein shocks, Amsoil bypass oil filter, Stancor HD Glow Plug Relay, billet thermostat housing, front & rear parking cameras, Aux reverse lights, Heated Seats.

Security: CrimeGuard Alarm with remote notification, DIY jimmi-jammers, door cylinder locks and linkage removed, padlocked rear bench seat hinge, PCM, DIY "pitstop" switch.

Last edited by losfinch; 09-13-2018 at 10:14 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 10:52 AM

The banks tuning is ancient.

I recommend getting some better tunes. A php hydra comes with tunes or pick one of 10 different companies to email you tunes.

You should be in the mid 20’s.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 08:35 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
That banks 6gun is not really much a tuner but rather a set of resistors to trick more fuel into the mix. Even on the highest setting the delivery was uneven so that is probably the issue.
The gage feature was okay but you could only see one at a time, egt or boost. Not so good either.
So yeah, I second the php chip.

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), trans cooler bypass delete by accident, rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
Jayco 26BHS elite, no RV parks...just the woods if possible.
See my album for a recent pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in