The Diesel Stop banner

Burning trans smell

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  pinboy122 
#1 ·
Hi all, last night I pulled my fishing boat to the lake, I’m guessing about 3000 lbs, and when I got there there was a strong smell of burning trans fluid. No leaks and fluid is full and clean looking. Also, It doesn’t smell bad when I pull the dipstick.. it seems to shift fine. Any thoughts? It’s a 2000 f350 automatic

#3 ·
Thanks, I took a good look this morning and couldn’t find any leaks anywhere. At second look the fluid level looks about a quart low and has a faint burnt smell but nothing like the smell that I had last night. I wish I had a trans temp gauge. There’s a good trans shop by my work I think I’m going to have them check it out

#4 ·
Do you have the oil to water cooler in the bottom of the radiator? If not, you should convert to a newer radiator and plumb that in. If you're relying on the little undersized oil to air cooler by itself, it may not be enough - especially if it's full of debris. A transmission temperature gauge is almost a requirement if you tow. With my upgraded cooler and stock oil to water cooler, I stay below 180° towing 10K plus in our triple-digit temps with no problem.

#5 ·
I hear ya RT. This is a fairly new to me truck. My last truck was also a 7.3 which I ran for 450,000 and I never had an issue like this but I don’t tow a lot. I think I’ll have it checked out and hopefully it’s not on it’s last leg. Havnt done one but I’ve read the 6.0 cooler is the way to go

#6 ·
The ScanGuage-2 has TFT as just one of its many parameters.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Couple of years ago I experienced the same thing along with some high tranny temps (I do have a gauge). Cooler was almost plugged and I did not have the cooler built into the radiator even though with my truck's build date it should have had it.

I changed the radiator to one with a heat exchanger AND installed the 6.0 tranny cooler. Now my temps hardly ever get over 160-170 even in our 100 degree summers.

Definitely get a temp gauge!

#9 ·
On a tranny care note. If you have 4x4 use 4x4 low (unlock hubs if possible) when backing a heavy trailer or boat. It is a lot easier on the tranny and you go a lot slower so you look like a pro.
DENNY

#10 ·
So I ordered the 6.0 cooler,it’s in its way. My buddy at the trans shop gave it a clean bill of health. While messing around with some other stuff I noticed the inside of the rear tire was all wet..brake fluid. Embarrassing enough I think I mistook the smell of burning brake fluid for trans oil lol.. either way it got me moving on the 6.0 cooler faster than planned

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.