Buying an aftermarket IPR. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2000F250-7.3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying an aftermarket IPR.

I just want some opinions. My truck is having IPR problems. I ordered a Oring kit from dieselorings and took apart my ipr.

During disassembly, I could not get the part that sits farthest towards the back of the truck that the IPR Coil sits on to come out. I tried spraying brake cleaner but it is stuck, I assume this was the problem because it is stuck. So I am debating if I should keep wasting my time trying to get the piece to come out or if I should just go buy a new IPR and have the piece of mind that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the IPR. So my question is I really want to fix my truck, and I do not want to wait for parts to come in. Napa has a IPR in stock, but I am wondering if I should avoid going aftermarket? I am pretty sure the Ford dealer here has it in stock, but I am sure the price is crazy. The Napa one is crazy too ($260) but I am wondering if the Napa one is as good of quality if I were to just use the ford one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 11:28 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Price one at https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/ and take their price sheet to your local dealer and ask them if they can meet the price. They'll probably say that price is below their cost. Can't hurt, and they may give you a discount just to keep your business. At worst they can say no and want to charge you list. AutonationWBL will send you one for $186 plus shipping if you can wait for the mail.

If you can't wait, the NAPA unit probably comes from the same factory as Ford's.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 01:25 PM

Riffraff diesel has them for 185.00 plus shipping I would not wast my time with the napa one. Ford only on all sensors on a 7.3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenskeeper79 likes this.

2000 F250 7.3 4inc exhaust, Ts 6 pos chip witch custom tunes, Built 4R100 w billet triple disc converter, 6.0 trans cooler and deep tans pan, CCV mod, 4 gauge pod A piller,Boost,Trans temp,EGT,fuel pressure AFE intake,RIFFRAFF Frx fuel Rail dead head fix black spring,High Flow banjo bolts,High Flow CVD Fitting, Harpoon mod,Diesel site adrenaline HPOP,AIH Plug,Plenum Reinforcing Inserts. FULL FORCE DIESEL STAGE 1.5 single shot injectors, Garrett powermax GTP38R and blank pedestal, RIFFRAFF Intercooler CAC Boots with complete clamp kit , scanegauge 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 07:47 PM

What is an IPR?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 07:54 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftm2grit View Post
What is an IPR?
Injection Pressure Regulator. It regulates your high pressure oil, which fire the injectors.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 08:05 PM

thanks
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 02:14 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftm2grit View Post
thanks
No problem.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Yea I fixed it back on the 10th of october. I broke down and convinced myself to just pay for 2 day shipping and wait for a motorcraft IPR (Got a motorcraft one for $150) It was the right choice. Runs smoother and does not have a hot no start/stalling issue anymore.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 05:29 AM

That was a good decision!
Just a suggestion for the future -- a genuine penetrating oil type product is superior to Brake Clean for loosening up seized parts.

CRC 5-56, Kroil, PB Blaster, etc....

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 02:18 PM

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02_7.3 View Post
I just want some opinions. My truck is having IPR problems. I ordered a Oring kit from dieselorings and took apart my ipr.

During disassembly, I could not get the part that sits farthest towards the back of the truck that the IPR Coil sits on to come out. I tried spraying brake cleaner but it is stuck, I assume this was the problem because it is stuck.
For future reference, that part of the IPR is supposed to be stuck. The stem that the coil sits on is welded to the hex part that you use to remove it from the HPOP. No amount of brake cleaner or PB or Kroil, etc. will allow you to unscrew that piece. The stem where the o-rings sit does unscrew, but you have to be careful about crushing it, which would restrict the internal parts that should slide freely inside it. There is a tiny needle valve in the rear portion that is moved by the magnetism in the coil and it should come out the front of the IPR. If it's stuck inside (likely from sludged up oil), then something like brake cleaner could free it up to allow it to come out.

Sorry I missed that part earlier till ArcticDriver posted about using something besides brake clean for stubborn fasteners that are SUPPOSED to come apart.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in