Cold Start (or lack of a start) - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Cold Start (or lack of a start)

I have read other threads for a couple of hours on "Cold Starting..etc" and couldn't find what I was looking for, so unfortunatley...I started another thread.

My issue... When it is 30+/- degrees outside, My truck won't start right away. Anything higher than say 35...no problems. When it is cold, i will let the GPs heat up for about 30-45 seconds before I start. The truck sounds like it wants to start (maybe 1/2 of a second of starting sound) then nothing. Last week when it was 12 degrees out, it took about 30 minutes of trying before it would finally "take" and stay running. The truck was even plugged in for 3 hours before I tried. I have Diesel Kleen additive (white bottle) in the fuel, and took off the fuel filter on the coldest day, and it was all full and fine (no gel).

Why i don't think it is the batteries... Well, after 30 minutes of trying to start the truck, the starter was still turning over fast and was able to start the truck (no I didn't hold the starter down for 30 minutes...just maybe a 5 seconds every minute or so). The oil level (Rotella 5w-30 syn) is fine (although it is at 5k miles).

What would be the symptoms of a bad/failing GPR or Glow Plugs? I live in Northern Nevada (Fallon) so it doesn't get any colder the 10degrees or so, but it is that cold almost every dawn during the winter...and quite frankly, i dread going out to try to start it when I know it is cold.

I'm going to change the oil to Mobil 1 diesel synthetic (because wally-world no longer carries the Rotella Synthetic...but I doubt that will help much. like I said, it wants to start at EVERY attempt, but never quite goes beyond that original fire. And when she does finally start, white smoke pours out for minutes.

Any suggestions??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999.5 F350 CrewCab - 7.3 with 190k. New tranny at 130k. DP F5. Hi Idle/80e/80t/decel. 4" Turbo-back - DIY NAPA 6637 Intake. WW2 with new pedestal (non-EBPV), New Starter at 170k; gauges (Pyro, Tranny, Boost); 05/14- 4x new R300 rotors, EBC YellowStuff Pads, rebuilt Calipers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TT was 2006 Sunny Brook Solanta 29RLS. (Not aerodynamic) -- Sold 11/13

New Toy Hauler. 2014 Outback 310TB. Picked it up in June -- dragged it from Detroit to Tampa and back to Newport RI!!

U.S. Navy RULES
In Newport RI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (4)
Bumping this thread up... Anyone know the symptoms of a Bad GPR and/or Bad Glow Plugs??

-Jeff

1999.5 F350 CrewCab - 7.3 with 190k. New tranny at 130k. DP F5. Hi Idle/80e/80t/decel. 4" Turbo-back - DIY NAPA 6637 Intake. WW2 with new pedestal (non-EBPV), New Starter at 170k; gauges (Pyro, Tranny, Boost); 05/14- 4x new R300 rotors, EBC YellowStuff Pads, rebuilt Calipers.

TT was 2006 Sunny Brook Solanta 29RLS. (Not aerodynamic) -- Sold 11/13

New Toy Hauler. 2014 Outback 310TB. Picked it up in June -- dragged it from Detroit to Tampa and back to Newport RI!!

U.S. Navy RULES
In Newport RI.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 09:12 PM

My Photos: (0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 09:21 PM

My Photos: (0)
Just a shot in the dark but I had a similar issue, only when cold and damp, wiring under the PCM was rubbing on the LF inner fender liner. Only found it because I was so pissed off that I just started pulling on things in the engine. The wires rubbed through were the temp sensor signals for the PCM and GPR. Good luck.
Jeff

'97 F350 XL 7.3 PSD 5 spd ZF, CC, LB, custom frt bumper, 270,000km

'91 F250 XLT LAR EX CAB LB 7.3 IDI CTS turbo in Kamloops, BC, E4OD, 5th wheel hitch, tow pkg, 335,000km
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in