Cold start, a little advice please - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 10:56 AM

My Photos: (8)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Everyone step back from the truck, and set the tools down!! First thing is figure out what the problem is. Unplug, unload, and stop using any type of chip or programer for a bit. Go get you codes read and clear them. Now drive for a few days and have codes reread. You should not need glow plugs at all at 55 degrees. You have another problem and IT IS NOT A BIG ONE!! So don't go throwing a few grand at injectors that won't help and only confuse the issue. Do a search on starting issues and check all the things that have been posted. It could be a bad starter drawing too much current, bad diode in alt not properly charging battery, bad battery, or bad connection. Lots of things can cause a truck to be slow to start including injectors but leave that to last.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
@DENNY... I want to do the tuner, injectors, turbo kit. Let's make this thing a beast. It's already had a few upgrades and ive fixed most of the cosmetic and mechanical issues with the 17 year old truck. Time for performance

This truck isn't going anywhere. No one can buy from me cause I have to much money and time invested.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
Everyone step back from the truck, and set the tools down!! First thing is figure out what the problem is. Unplug, unload, and stop using any type of chip or programer for a bit. Go get you codes read and clear them. Now drive for a few days and have codes reread. You should not need glow plugs at all at 55 degrees. You have another problem and IT IS NOT A BIG ONE!! So don't go throwing a few grand at injectors that won't help and only confuse the issue. Do a search on starting issues and check all the things that have been posted. It could be a bad starter drawing too much current, bad diode in alt not properly charging battery, bad battery, or bad connection. Lots of things can cause a truck to be slow to start including injectors but leave that to last.
DENNY
Been trying to convince the owner to replace the glow plugs and get the starting system in order before even thinking about any upgrades or injectors. Common sense isn't all that common now is it?

Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

97 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD E4OD
99 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD ZF6 E99 CALI DELETE
ROTELLA 5W-40, MOBIL1 ATF, PENNZOIL SYNCHROMESH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Oh well, I got the advice I needed. I'll let you guys kno how that extra hp feels when I'm pulling a trailer. Glow plugs will be replaced when I do the injectors.

@DENNY if you read the earlier posts you'd see we covered lots of what you're saying already (no offense) if we didn't cover everything you mentioned it's because COMMON SENSE tells you that you need a good connection. but I'll throw it in just for you...alternator is new. Batteries new, connections polished, hits at 11.5 volts then jumps up to 14 when started. RPMs thump 100 when starting (thanks @klhansen for that advice) ... it's either glow plugs or injectors.. I would like a nice winter project so let's go ahead and make this thing a beast.

@RT I'll do my turbo build first so I can tell dptuners. Everything is in the cart ready to buy. With the turbo, air, and 4inch back exhaust she should be ready for some power. I'll stay under the limit to where I don't need a new HPOP

@greenskeeper79 It has nothing to do with common sense in this case. I manage my finances well. This is not my daily driver. Also power and performance plays a part because I'm not satisfied with my pulling power. If I run across that 30ft gooseneck I've been looking for and load it down stacked with hay I honesty don't think the truck could pull it with the pride I'm looking for.

Last edited by Texas_proud77836; 11-27-2016 at 08:48 PM.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 10:59 PM

My Photos: (8)
No offense taken, just throwing out ideals for ya.

I usually have Klhansen come over and read my codes for me kind of cheating having his skills handy. Just a few more HPOP reservoir check valve can leak causing starting problems worse when parking uphill if I remember right. The main reason to test the glow plugs and check for injector codes before you pull them is to make sure that is the problem. If you get new injectors, and programing but still have a problem, is it the new stuff. (happens all the time) or is it the old problem. The reason I question it being a glow plug issue is I never wait to start if temps are 50 and above just turn the key and it starts. I have had a bad starter cause the symptoms you describe. even took it off and NAPA said it was good. But after new battery and alternator still had the problem so at the advice of local pro changed starter. It really spun over a lot faster and started just fine. I had put rebuilt injectors in my 7.3 and they only lasted around 40.000 mi. Replaced with new and has been running great.

Building tow monster.

I did a lot of mods to my old 99 7.3 six speed, turbo, intake, exhaust, and chip. I think bang for the buck the chip was by far the biggest factor. Turbo and did not seem to help power that much. The turbo did help some with EGT. My 2000 7.3 six speed with just a chip wicked wheel and exhaust (3 1/2 downpipe for better grunt) could run up any hill in left lane with 12000 lb 5th wheel all day long. If you have not yet picked up exhaust the 3 1/2 downpipe will give you more power quicker than a 4 inch, this is a subject that was beat to death 14 years ago, bigger exhaust downpipe is not always better for towing. It is just really hard to find a 31/2 downpipe now. If you put in rebuilt injectors you are still getting parts with unknown milage on them. I would do stock new injectors you will never have to touch them again, let the chip/programer make the power for you. When you do pull the valve covers look at the harness close we have seen a few bad ones over the years. Depending on the year you might need some little clip things for the harness. ( Klhansen would know) I don't remember the dates but that was an issue to look at also. I would add air bags to the rear and adjust as you add a load so you headlights are always set right.

I just picked up a early 99 DRW AUTO 4x4 with 56,000 miles on it for new tow truck. It is about as stock as it gets, I pulled out the blocks on rear axle, new shocks, sway bar links, and now lowered tailgate hight is 5 inches lower, adding air bags to keep it level when towing/or loaded. Swapped in 6 liter tranny cooler and class 3 hitch in front. Plan to sneak up on the engine mods, looking at DP tuner vs chip and gauges, stock exhaust with walker BTM will do about 80 percent of what a full exhaust will do unless I go real crazy with the power. I was spoiled with the six speed!! Have to go kind of easy on stock tranny. The first 60-100 hp is pretty easy to get after that you are paying a lot more money for much less HP gain.

Just some things to think about and stir the pot (dark and cold up here so have time to read and post). Take what you like and leave what ya don't
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in