Consensus on CPS? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By klhansen
  • 1 Post By Absolute

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Consensus on CPS?

Just read through most of the posts on the few different threads regarding CPS's, many from more than a few years ago.

Thought I'd start yet another thread on them to see what the current thinking is.

Has any consensus been reached on which one is the best?

I see Riffraff, Dieselsite, Swampsdiesel, Puredieselpower all list a part number of F4TZ-12K073-C and all show photos of a grey CPS ....except Riffraff which shows a black CPS.

Dieselorings has a:

F4TZ 12K073 C which is dark blue,
a F7TZ 12K073 B which is grey,
and a F7TZ-12K073-A which is black and "sold out"

Looking for the "right" one for my truck. We've got quite a mish-mash of colors, part numbers, etc here.
Anybody got the straight scoop on this?

1999 F350 DRW Long Bed Crew Cab 4x4
Carries 5000lb+ Lance Camper
DP Tuner chip w/ 60econ, 120race, decel, hi idle
Stancor Glow Plug Relay
VDO gauges
Ford AIS and zoodad mod
MagnaFlow 4" Exhaust and muffler
Bellowed Up Pipes from Int'l
John Wood Eco HD trans, 6.0 cooler and Maghytec tranny pan
Maghytec rear diff cover w/ Mobil 1 75W-140
Mobil 1 ATF in trans/transfer case/powersteering Magnafine filters for tranny and power steering
Airbags, KYB Monomax shocks, Torklift Swaystops, Roadmaster 1.5" Rear Sway Bar
CCV mod
TransferFlow 57 gallon fuel tank
Riffraff fuel and oil crossover
Strictly Diesel fuel tank/pre-pump kit
Air intake heater delete Max A/C assist Braided 4WD shift hoses, Replacement boots for all turbo/intercooler boots, Coolant filtration system, 203*F thermostat
2 layers Dynamat Extreme on interior roof/floor/doors, Dynamat Xorb on Firewall
Alpine IVA1000 and amp, Python Alarm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:05 AM

My Photos: (0)
I really have no opinion. Ive never had one fail. Recently I thought I did , but it turned out to be a bit of green and black in the plug, once cleaned they all worked fine. I have a dino, and actually ran all three to see if there was any difference. Heres what I found.

Black ( still available at some international dealers by the way)(I recently bought 3 black from the dealer near me, cleaned them out. lol) This CPS was my favorite. It made the most hp. That was the only reason.
Grey Made the same hp as the black, but idled rougher, and was noisier during acceleration. Noticeably.
Blue (Looks purple to me) This one made the least hp, but ran real real smooth and quiet. And I got better fuel economy. I run this one now, just because of how smooth it is, and economy. Acceleration is smooth and steady power curve.

If Im racing, which I do a lot with this bad boy, I use the grey. It makes the same hp as the black, but the curve is much raunchier, and it does a bit better on the 1/4 mile. Seems to light up quicker with this one. The dino curve is steeper, and levels out a bit sooner, explaining the 1/4 mile times.
Blacks are my spares, which I have never needed, touch wood.

Up here, ford seems to only sell the purple(blue), International has grey, or if your lucky the original black.
Not sure what others sell.

Not really solid data, as my motor is really built up, stock may show different. But those were my observations during dino runs.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:56 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnorthdriver View Post
F7TZ-12K073-A which is black and "sold out"
That's the original Ford # for the CPS that was recalled because the engine would die on you at random times (they are pretty scarce and no longer available thru normal channels). I went thru two of them, but still have them. I've tried a BW CPS (don't remember the PN) but my truck didn't like it at all. First off it would cause the engine to die when the wipers were on. That was solved by the chokes on the wiper wiring, but it would cause some bad "pinging" on hard acceleration which may have been because of the tune I'm running. It did give a clean cylinder contribution test as opposed to the current grey (-B) CPS that ford sells. The grey one will cause a #3 and #8 CCT error on my truck, but that's what I'm running now. My fuel economy dropped by 2 MPG measured over 2 fillups when I switched back to the grey CPS, but I'm living with that.

[on edit]Oh yeah, the dark blue one is for pre-97 trucks. The difference between that and the F7TZ-12K073-A was the plating used on the terminals. Supposedly not compatible with 97 and later trucks because of possible galvanic corrosion at the terminals. IIRC is was tin or gold plating. Probably no reason it wouldn't work if you take care of corrosion issues with judicious application of dielectric grease.
aclasshog likes this.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Last edited by klhansen; 01-15-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:16 PM

That is a possibility, cause I run the purple one, and its the smoothest running, and best mileage, least hp. Any you know I like the dieletric grease. lol

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:28 PM

The power this little thing holds is crazy. It almost sounds like a crap shoot.

2001 Lariat, F250, 7.3, 6-speed, 3:73, Ford AIS, MBRP 4" turbo back, ATS ported housing, 205 t-stat, Infinity DX w/DP Tuner 80hp tow, coolant filter, Hutched & Harpooned, EGT & Boost gauge. Fuel Mavericks with 285/18, 86k miles(Jan-2017) Bought brand new April 2001.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, that's a lot of info in just a few posts!
I'm running the grey version which I got after the service bulletin.
I'd like to try the "blue" version which sounds like it might be slightly smoother/quieter but may be less power and, from klhansen, will require dielectric grease due to possible metal miss match at the connector.
Just to confirm, this "blue" version is part # F7TZ-12K073-A?

Stancor Glow Plug Relay
VDO gauges
Ford AIS and zoodad mod
Mobil 1 ATF in trans/transfer case/powersteering Magnafine filters for tranny and power steering
CCV mod
Air intake heater delete Max A/C assist Braided 4WD shift hoses, Replacement boots for all turbo/intercooler boots, Coolant filtration system, 203*F thermostat
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnorthdriver View Post
Just to confirm, this "blue" version is part # F7TZ-12K073-A?
No, that one is the original '97 and later black CPS. You can tell the year by digit #2 in the PN - note that it's a 7.
The one you want is F4TZ-12K073-C which would have been introduced in '94 with the original 7.3L Powerstroke, as indicated by the 4 in position #2 in the PN. The -A, -B, etc indicates the sequence, so the '94-96 CPS would be in it's third iteration.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:25 PM

@Absolut,

You found three Black at a Ford dealer recently?

Was that around Christmas because that is a genuine Miracle.

BTW, I see SuperLube sells dielectric grease in 5-gallon pails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DFE3E3BD-EE6B-4C6E-A59E-0C8E8E2CDF24_1547601933579.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	126414  

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:45 PM

FYI, The F4TZ-12K073-C (Ford part number) is also called a "DU-87" (this is the Motorcraft part number).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford_CPS.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	126416  

Al in SoCal
AFE Intake; Garrett 38R; DieselSite Turbine Jacket
HPS Hi-Temp CAC Boots; Banks Big IC, Banks Engine Brake
External Oil cooler & Remote filter; Stealth 4-line Twin HPOP, Melling LPOP
Swamp's: 160cc/30% Injectors & HVHF IDM; DP-Tuner F5; Fluidamper Balancer
Custom Full Reg.-return Fuel System, Pre-& Post-pump filtration
Mishimoto Radiator & Exp. Tank; T444 Water Pump w/Filtration
Bellowed S/S Up-pipes; 4" Turbo-back Custom Exhaust into Twin Stacks
SouthBend D-D Clutch; ZF 6-spd w/CoreShifters Short-throw Stick
GearVendors O/U Drive

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
@Absolut,

You found three Black at a Ford dealer recently?

Was that around Christmas because that is a genuine Miracle.

It was the local International dealer, not ford. Never found a black at ford.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 09:11 PM

A 5 gallon bucket!!!!!!!!!!!! Damb, I could probably get through a whole week with that!
ArcticDriver likes this.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
No, that one is the original '97 and later black CPS. You can tell the year by digit #2 in the PN - note that it's a 7.
The one you want is F4TZ-12K073-C which would have been introduced in '94 with the original 7.3L Powerstroke, as indicated by the 4 in position #2 in the PN. The -A, -B, etc indicates the sequence, so the '94-96 CPS would be in it's third iteration.

Stancor Glow Plug Relay
VDO gauges
Ford AIS and zoodad mod
CCV mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in