The Diesel Stop banner

Correct Barometric values?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  woodnthings8 
#1 ·
Searched the forum and can't seem to find much on it..
I'm having trouble with my truck starting when warm. It takes a lot longer to start when hot then cold. Hooked up my AE scanner and ran some tests after finding some threads suggesting the IPR may be causing the pressure to be low when hot. Scanner showing the pressures fine.
I did find values that were in RED. The Barometric Pressure-Volts was at 4.67 and the Barometric Pressure Input was 148. According to the scanner both values are high.

So what are the Barometric Pressure Input and Volts supposed to be at and why would they both be high? I know the sensor is in the PCM, but where are those values being pulled from?

#2 ·
That shouldn't affect it.
Just because it shows "good" on your scanner, does not mean much either.
You can try cooking the ipr solenoid and see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Ok, You got me on the IPR "cooking". What is that? Any idea of what the BP values are supposed to be?

#4 ·
Did you ask Jody if it could be a tuning issue. I personally had some issues with tuning with his tunes. They weren't faulty, it was the fact that we have winter here, and Jodys test truck never saw less than 70 degrees. So I had cold issues. I emailed him and he made some changes and I have had no issues cold since.

#5 ·
Off hand, I don't know on the BP.
But the ipr solenoid is basically a electromagnet. When they go bad, heat makes them weak. So cooling usually works. (If that's the failure)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Searched the forum and can't seem to find much on it..
I'm having trouble with my truck starting when warm. It takes a lot longer to start when hot then cold. Hooked up my AE scanner and ran some tests after finding some threads suggesting the IPR may be causing the pressure to be low when hot. Scanner showing the pressures fine.
I did find values that were in RED. The Barometric Pressure-Volts was at 4.67 and the Barometric Pressure Input was 148. According to the scanner both values are high.

So what are the Barometric Pressure Input and Volts supposed to be at and why would they both be high? I know the sensor is in the PCM, but where are those values being pulled from?
Don't go chasing BARO value when the issue is likely low ICP caused not by the IPR but by leaks in the system. Set up AE to monitor ICP and IPR duty cycle while cranking and compare the readings you get between cold and hit. It's best to record and export the data to Excel and set up a graph. That way you can see the values as the correspond. You shouldn't see IPR duty cycle go higher than about 35% before ICP hits the 500 psi needed to start.

#7 ·
Barometric Pressure is built into the PCM.

As Klhansen post stated, you most likely have an oil issue. What weight oil are you using? Also the IPR as mentioned is a coil based part and as they get hot, they can be weak once the resistance goes up. If you have 150k or more on the truck, an IPR replacement may be needed. Also look at the ICP for oil contamination at the connector. That can make a difference too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.