Cranks smokes but no start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My dad just got a 03 F350 166xxx miles 100% stock and is having cold start issues and can't really find any answers in a search so I'm asking. The truck will crank over fast and even sound like a cylinder or more is trying to hit and gets smoke out of tail pipe but will not start if you dont plug it in which led me down the glow plug path but the glow plugs all ohm to around .7, glow plug relay is new and working and new batteries, new fuel filter even took valve covers off and ran continuity check on all the glow plug wires. I also tried unplugging the icp and cranking with no luck because that seemed to be a common thing to try in my searches. Also could be unrelated I dont know but it has no power until it gets up to temperature. What am I missing I got cranking speed air and fuel but wouldn't start with out plugging in.

1973 F250 4x4 with 7.3IDI swap. NP435 4sp trans. Banks turbo

2006 VW Jetta TDI daily driver

2003 F350 4x4 6sp cab and chassis with flat bed

Sold: 1996 F350 powerstroke
2006 2500 GMC duramax
2001 F350 powerstroke

Last edited by 73IDI; 04-07-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

To clarify the smoke is like grey fuel smelling like it's getting fuel but not firing off

UPDATE: Changed IPR and oil temp sensor and made no difference but if you unplug the oil temp sensor it will start after several tries with a very low rpm idle that is very rough and smoothes out the longer it runs and warms up I'm at a loss here seems like its engine temp related or even a timing issue until it warms up

2006 2500 GMC duramax
2001 F350 powerstroke
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:22 AM

First off, a 2003 is a DI, not an IDI. IDI is the motor before the powerstroke. What you describe is the classic bad starter. Yes it appears to spin fast, faster than a gasser. BUt as most find, if its not 150rpm or more, it will not start. In your case, of course the glow plugs help , as a warm engine starts easier. The fact you sense a cylinder or two trying to fire, shows its not spinning fast enough. Go to the parts store and buck up for a denso starter. Its huge, barely fits, some like me even had to take a quarter inch off the cross member to fit it in there. Well worth the money. You will immediately see the spin speed difference. OR just get a stock one. Try it before you return your core. Bet it fixes the issue. If not return it , no harm done. But your description totally points to a slow starter. Also, DO NOT FALL FOR THE PARTS STORE, BRING IT IN AND WE CAN TEST IT. They cannot test starters. They are lying. All they do is put power to it, if it spins an pops out, they call it good. Fact is, it has to have a full load on it to test it. They cannot do that. So just buy a new one and try it. Should fix ya up. Your mileage is right on the common need a new starter mileage as well. Im on my 4th, now have the denso, probably wont need another.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:12 AM

Guess the starter must have fixed him up since he didn't reply back. lol

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
First off, a 2003 is a DI, not an IDI. IDI is the motor before the powerstroke. What you describe is the classic bad starter. Yes it appears to spin fast, faster than a gasser. BUt as most find, if its not 150rpm or more, it will not start. In your case, of course the glow plugs help , as a warm engine starts easier. The fact you sense a cylinder or two trying to fire, shows its not spinning fast enough. Go to the parts store and buck up for a denso starter. Its huge, barely fits, some like me even had to take a quarter inch off the cross member to fit it in there. Well worth the money. You will immediately see the spin speed difference. OR just get a stock one. Try it before you return your core. Bet it fixes the issue. If not return it , no harm done. But your description totally points to a slow starter. Also, DO NOT FALL FOR THE PARTS STORE, BRING IT IN AND WE CAN TEST IT. They cannot test starters. They are lying. All they do is put power to it, if it spins an pops out, they call it good. Fact is, it has to have a full load on it to test it. They cannot do that. So just buy a new one and try it. Should fix ya up. Your mileage is right on the common need a new starter mileage as well. Im on my 4th, now have the denso, probably wont need another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
Guess the starter must have fixed him up since he didn't reply back. lol
No I didn't reply because you sort of implied I was stupid and I figured I'd just wait till I actually had an update on the issue.

"First off" I KNOW it's not an idi obviously I posted in the 99 and up powerstroke section and I mentioned the icp which I also know an idi doesn't have. I dont know everything there is to know and I appreciate the reply but it just kinda struck me wrong. Maybe I miss interpreted.

Now that I got that off my chest. I have since taken the truck to a mechanic with the proper diagnostic tool and he said the icp is bad and the computer wasn't showing and dada from it. He recommended changing it so he can run another test something that has to do with high pressure oil.

2006 2500 GMC duramax
2001 F350 powerstroke
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:28 AM

That's too bad, no one was trying to make you feel stupid. I'll let the others handle this from here since we got off wrong. BUT, you do not need a new computer, theres nothing wrong with yours. Your mechanic is pulling at straws. CPU is expensive , and definitely not your issue. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in