The Diesel Stop banner

Dead Petal, Truck just Idles

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Powerstrokedogg 
#1 ·
My truck is acting weird lately and will try to decribe problem. Sometimes when I am driving the truck just goes to idle and gas petal just doesn't work. It won't let me rev up motor, just idle and then service light comes on. I then go to gas petal and shake and bump the electronc unit attached on side there and then gas petal works after while of doing this. I then inspected the gas petal unit and seems there is a metal like thin bar that supposed to be over some ball switch and is out of place. May this be the problem. I tried a search here and nothing much came up and hope the truck lasts through this snow storm coming up. The truck is a 2000 F-550 7.3 4x4 auto. Any help I would appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
what you have going on sounds like the throttle position switch which is the electrical module on the throttle pedal. The little metal thing is the idle validation switch that lets the truck know that it should be ideling. The TPS is a variable resistor that lets the truck know what to do. . .when it goes out the truck will default to an idle. Replace that and it should fix your problems.

#3 ·
If you get the codes pulled it will probably tell you for sure. It sounds like you need a new Throttle Postion Sensor.
Joe

#4 ·
Hey Lawnboy,

I had this happen to me this summer pulling a trailer in Yellowstone going out the East gate. I was using my overdrive button alot to save on the brakes. It turned out to be a fuse. Mine is an Automatic and the engine would only idle and the fuel petal was dead, also the overdrive would not work. I looked in the manual and found out that is was a 10amp fuse that had blown under the dash.

Not saying that this is the problem, but worth a look. I have a 2001 7.3 F250 4x4.

Beeker.

#5 ·
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beeker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Lawnboy,

I had this happen to me this summer pulling a trailer in Yellowstone going out the East gate. I was using my overdrive button alot to save on the brakes. It turned out to be a fuse. Mine is an Automatic and the engine would only idle and the fuel petal was dead, also the overdrive would not work. I looked in the manual and found out that is was a 10amp fuse that had blown under the dash.

Not saying that this is the problem, but worth a look. I have a 2001 7.3 F250 4x4.

Beeker. </div></div>

this is common, it happened to me but this is intermitten i would have to say its the idle validation switch. being that the truck is a 2000 you should be able to buy just the switch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.