Degas tank, Dorman or Ford OEM? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Degas tank, Dorman or Ford OEM?

Once AGAIN, I find my degas tank leaking at its seams. This issue has been a problem with all of these trucks with no real solution other than a replacement. My question is has anyone tried the Dorman brand tank? Is it any better or worse than OEM? This tank is very easy to replace, but no one likes shelling out around $70 over and over again for a part that is defective. Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks and have a good day to all.

2001 F-250 4X4 CC SB 7.3 4R100 3.73, BFGoodrich All-Terrain TA/KO, Motorcraft filters, Mile Marker manual hub locks w/ESOF (No hub "floating"), AIH delete, Rust-Oleum bed coating, Silverstar Ultra headlamps w/ clear headlight assemblies, 5,000K LED interior lamps; Moog greaseable u-joints, ball-joints, front hub assemblies; retractable bed hitch, original black CPS (BEST "mod" I have), Energy Suspension bushings, Red Heavy Duty ELC, Edge Evolution 15001 (for gauges), Walker BTM, Donaldson AIS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 03:57 PM

My Photos: (0)
I have a 01 and still have the original one.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 04:31 PM

My original lasted more than 300k.

ANY other ideas?

Have one custom made out of aluminum.

Otherwise, they're plastic and subject to a lot of heat, they will only last so long . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

I wish I knew your "secret" pertaining these Mine have always failed at the upper seam where the top was "plasti-welded" with the main body. Same failure point in the 4 I went through. The Dorman is half price, but I am afraid that the saying "you get what you pay for" will be true here and I will be replacing the tank even sooner. I have thought about a metal one, but you wouldn't be able to see the fluid level.

2001 F-250 4X4 CC SB 7.3 4R100 3.73, BFGoodrich All-Terrain TA/KO, Motorcraft filters, Mile Marker manual hub locks w/ESOF (No hub "floating"), AIH delete, Rust-Oleum bed coating, Silverstar Ultra headlamps w/ clear headlight assemblies, 5,000K LED interior lamps; Moog greaseable u-joints, ball-joints, front hub assemblies; retractable bed hitch, original black CPS (BEST "mod" I have), Energy Suspension bushings, Red Heavy Duty ELC, Edge Evolution 15001 (for gauges), Walker BTM, Donaldson AIS
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 PM

Sight glass and fitting for a pressure gauge too . . .

Nothing like a $750 custom overflow tank.

I wish I knew how to make stuff.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 08:21 PM

My Photos: (4)
I'm just under 250k miles and on my original one. Is this a "known" issue (first I've heard of it) with lots of people? Seems like something would have to be causing that many failures. Possibly a bad cap that's allowing the system to be over pressurized? I'm just throwing out a guess, I have no idea what could be causing it. I'd try the Doorman one, maybe you'll get lucky with them.

2002 F350 XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, Auto, AIC, DiabloSport Predator, BD X-Monitor, Kenwood TM-V7A, Pioneer 7400MP3, Infinity 5.25" Components, Infinity 10" Sub in a Q-Logic Box, Heated Mirrors, Gentex/Mito Auto Dimming Mirror, Rear ID Bar, Uniden PC78 Elite CB, Clifford Matrix RS3 Alarm/Remote Start, Keypad Entry, Homemade "Tymar", custom, muffler back exhaust, 6 Whelen LED's in rear window, 6 Whelen Strobes in the Front, Rears still not installed...
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 10:27 PM

Based on my experience, I wouldn't buy anything made by Dorman that was important to how my vehicle runs. I'd buy miscellaneous small parts, but nothing critical.

2002 F-250 CCLB 4x4 XLT, 7.3, ZF-6 with Midwest Short-throw shifter, ESOF, 3.73 R&P, HPx line, FRx, Racor prefilter before pump, Amsoil bypass filter, Coolant filter too
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 AM

Have you replaced the cap when you changed the tanks?

Tom
99.5 PS CC 4x4 SRW ZF-6
Triple Pillar Gauges; Fuel pres, Pyro, Boost
AE, Alldatadiy, and half a clue
- AKA "The Big White Truck"

PM please. No Visitor Msg if you want a response anytime soon
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

I change that cap every year with a Ford OEM cap. The last time I posted this issue in here, many other members chimed in with the same problem so this is a surprise to me that so many have never replaced the tank. I am going to flush, replace hoses and clamps, t-stat, t-stat housing, gasket of course, tank, cap, and HD ELC this month. I was trying to find someone who had first hand experience with the Dorman tank to decide which tank to get this time. I have used many of their parts with no problems in the past. To those who haven't had to replace the tank, consider yourself lucky. $70 won't break the bank, but it takes away a very nice evening with the family and that always puts a smile on the Mrs' face

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 09:41 AM

I guess the cap isn't the issue. Yes, you are so very correct on having to replace the parts being a pain. I'm one of the lucky ones with a good bottle, with 320k on the ticker. I've had a rash of parts go out over the last 6 months that has set me back some money, and there is no letup in sight. The steering gear is a suggestive input on my truck and the waterpump has started whizzing out the venthole, but ONLY when I am parked on a nice new asphalt driveway at a $500k house.

Tom
99.5 PS CC 4x4 SRW ZF-6
Triple Pillar Gauges; Fuel pres, Pyro, Boost
AE, Alldatadiy, and half a clue
- AKA "The Big White Truck"

PM please. No Visitor Msg if you want a response anytime soon
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 12:06 AM

I just checked the price on the Dorman unit @ rockauto. It's $37 + shipping, I'd definitely try one just to see if it's any better/worse. If you look around with Google, it's easy to find 5% off coupon codes too.

2002 F350 XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, Auto, AIC, DiabloSport Predator, BD X-Monitor, Kenwood TM-V7A, Pioneer 7400MP3, Infinity 5.25" Components, Infinity 10" Sub in a Q-Logic Box, Heated Mirrors, Gentex/Mito Auto Dimming Mirror, Rear ID Bar, Uniden PC78 Elite CB, Clifford Matrix RS3 Alarm/Remote Start, Keypad Entry, Homemade "Tymar", custom, muffler back exhaust, 6 Whelen LED's in rear window, 6 Whelen Strobes in the Front, Rears still not installed...
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Cobra View Post
I just checked the price on the Dorman unit @ rockauto. It's $37 + shipping, I'd definitely try one just to see if it's any better/worse. If you look around with Google, it's easy to find 5% off coupon codes too.
I guess I feel if the part is important to you than spend the extra dollars to get a know good product rather than saving a few dollars and hoping you didn't get a poorly made product. Just my two cents.

Griz

02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz View Post
I guess I feel if the part is important to you than spend the extra dollars to get a know good product rather than saving a few dollars and hoping you didn't get a poorly made product. Just my two cents.

Griz

For half the $ I'd try another manufacturer, including Dorman. If the factory units keep breaking why not try another brand. What's that they say about doing the same thing over and over & expecting a different result...

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

It's like you guys are reading my mind. I wouldn't normally buy an aftermarket crucial part, but the OEM is faulty. Besides, like 96cobra stated, I will buy it from RA for half the price of a new one. I will keep the tank I have now on my shelf just in case. I will also tell members how the Dorman holds up in time. Thanks for the thoughts that were shared with me and all who may read this.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 AM

I installed the Dorman (from rockauto.com) degas tank, a few weeks ago. The only thing I am concerned about is, the cap dosen,t tighten up as much as the Ford cap. This is because the Dorman cap "clicks" at a lower torque point, than the Ford.

Too soon to tell if this will be problem.

God Bless America!

2014 Chevrolet VOLT
2000 Ford Excursion 4X4 PSD Limited
1986 Ford F250 4x4 Supercab, long bed , 6.9L/AT
2001 "MagneticRed" Corvette Coupe
1979 Pontiac Y84 "Bandit" Trans Am
1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
1996 Chevrolet Impala SS Dark Cherry Metalic
1996 Chevrolet Impala SS Black
1995 Buick Roadmaster Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in