Did I kill my PCM or IDM ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did I kill my PCM or IDM ?

Hi guys,

Last weekend I pulled off the valve covers to checkout the injector wiring harness. While the large wiring harness (located on the driver side) was disconnected, my buddy decided to clean it with a wire brush. Not realizing the batteries were STILL connected, he created some sparks.

Now when I start the truck, it feels like it's got a misfire between 1000-1800 RPMS and lacks all power. The battery light is also illuminated, but voltage is at 14.4v..

When I connected my Snap-On Solus Pro, it powers up but is not able to communicate with the PCM.

Obviously we shorted something, but do you have any suggestion on where to start? I'm not familiar with Diesels, but I'm quickly learning.. If the IDM was fried, would it still run?

Thanks in advance,
Nathan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1973607_10156341790355063_8585540716809996707_o.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	92866  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 11:19 AM

Why would it still run with a fried IDM? Do you even know what that stands for?

Did you even check the fuses?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
Why would it still run with a fried IDM? Do you even know what that stands for?

Did you even check the fuses?

Yes, I know what it means, but I do know know it's full functionality. Does it either work or not? Can they be faulty but still allow the truck to run?

2001 Ford F250 Platinum
DP Tuner
Built Transmission
5" Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 12:26 PM

To a point. But you would get some codes.
Was the key on run when this happened?

PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
To a point. But you would get some codes.
Was the key on run when this happened?

No sir, I'm 99% sure the key was off.

I haven't checked fuses yet, but I'll do that tonight.

2001 Ford F250 Platinum
DP Tuner
Built Transmission
5" Exhaust
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 01:10 PM

Just my 2 bits but I would check ALL fuses then disconnect both batteries for a bit to reset everything. Not an attack but short cuts can be expensive and dangerous. Please remove batteries if you work on anything under hood. PCM's are not cheap and easy to fry as well. the miss may be from chaffing on that harness. Or you may have a bad connection elsewhere. There is a pin point test here somewhere that tells you how to ohm wires from IDM back to injectors which is easy to follow.

2000 F350 Lariat auto 4x4 cc Dually hutch/harpoon mod, zoodad mod, prepump filter/separator, billet fpr gold spring DIY Tymar intake
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 01:11 PM

Did you blow out the connectors before reconnecting? Or otherwise make sure there was no loose metal bristles in the connectors? Most metal brushes I use, the bristles fall out during cleaning.

edit: This would be in addition to advice given above about checking fuses and disconnecting batteries, etc.

Bought a PSD as a tow rig for my Jeep, but it seems to get more use towing and hauling stuff for friends.

2000 7.3L, auto, extended cab long bed, XLT. Nothing exciting: Bone stock except for the transmission temp gauge, pyrometer, AIS, red head steering box, and B&W turnover ball hitch.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 02:22 PM

If key wasn't on, nothing should have "sparked."
Do as the guy above me said.
Also might as well ohm the harnesses. (With them unplugged)

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
If key wasn't on, nothing should have "sparked."
Do as the guy above me said.
Also might as well ohm the harnesses. (With them unplugged)

Depending on what actual wire harness his friend was trying to clean with that wire brush there could of been power even with the key turned off. Also with the battery charge light on in the dash it sounds like he may of blew a fusible link from the alternator. But without knowing just what harness he was playing with it is hard to tell.

I would trouble shoot each problem as separate problems. Start with the battery light. Also when you replaced the valve covers did you make sure that the injector harnesses were plugged in and not loose? That could be your miss fire and poor running.

But you may of caused more problems that you think.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Gentlemen,

I called my buddy who was helping me and he confirmed the key was off when it happened. Yes, I should have had the battery disconnected, but I didn't (I'm an idiot).
Looks like fuse #7 in the power distribution box is blown (5a). I replaced it and the misfire is gone and it sounds much better.

However the OBD2 still isn't communicating. The plug has never giving me trouble, so Im wondering if something happened to my Snap-On scanner..

Onward, through the fog!

2001 Ford F250 Platinum
DP Tuner
Built Transmission
5" Exhaust
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 07:34 AM

Try a different scanner. Or try yours on another truck. I wouldn't say you're an idiot, lots of people just miss the obvious when doing things. Glad your miss is gone.

2000 F350 Lariat auto 4x4 cc Dually hutch/harpoon mod, zoodad mod, prepump filter/separator, billet fpr gold spring DIY Tymar intake
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_ View Post
Gentlemen,

I called my buddy who was helping me and he confirmed the key was off when it happened. Yes, I should have had the battery disconnected, but I didn't (I'm an idiot).
Looks like fuse #7 in the power distribution box is blown (5a). I replaced it and the misfire is gone and it sounds much better.

However the OBD2 still isn't communicating. The plug has never giving me trouble, so Im wondering if something happened to my Snap-On scanner..

Onward, through the fog!

There could still be another fuse or two blown. Check all of them, I believe om the 2001 you have a couple locations for fuses. Does the cig lighter work? Pretty sure that is the same fuse as the DLC, at least it is on 2002 up.

Brian, Tucson, Arizona
02 F350 4x4 CREW 7.3 170K, BFG Rugged Terrain 285s, AIS, Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp pillar pod, Dipricol coolant temp, ELC, Isspro EV-2 Fuel Pressure & HPOP, Dieselsite boots, coolant & tranny filters & 203* Stat, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, ITP pre pump tank mod, Bellowed Up Pipes, Riffraff Frx, netbook mount with AE, GPR LED, Stancor, Red Head steering gear, Battery Tender & 2 Marincos.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE-

Guys,

Thank you for all your help. I had to reset my scan tool and it started to work.

So as of right now, everything works!

2001 Ford F250 Platinum
DP Tuner
Built Transmission
5" Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in