Do I have a clutch problem or tranny issue? - Page 4 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:12 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you mean the shift tower, that takes anaerobic gasket maker.
I'm pretty sure this stuff meets Ford's spec.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Last edited by klhansen; 09-03-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (5)
Yep, that is what I ordered. I used a post you made back in 2007 to see what the Ford Spec was and then cross referenced it to Permatex and Anaerobic gasket maker is the correct product. You guys have all been very helpful. I have other stuff going and I am not a master mechanic. I am taking my time and she should be back up and running this weekend.

2002 F-250, PSD 6-speed, CC, short bed, 4X4, Toreador Red w/ Silver accent, A.R.E mx cap, Weld Super Single II and 33s in the summer, x-springs, F-350 blocks and badges, AIC, proflaps, ITP intank mod, AirDog with 3 micron filter, isspro guages and TTM, scangauge, husky liners, alarm, xm stereo,stull 5399-p grille, centramatics, ccv mod, AIS Air Filter, Southbend CON O, Detroit Truetrac LSD, coolant filter, 203 stat with billet housing, blackcloud intake heater plug/boost fitting, reese titan hitch, fabcraft PTO cover/temp sender port, prodigy brake controller, ITP Boost Annihalator, oilguard bypass filter, Mag-Hytec rear dif, bilsteins, hellwig rear stabilizer bar, ATS housing, non-ebpv pedistal and exhaust flange, magnaflow 3.5dp exhaust, ITP reg return, turbomaster wastegate controller, and ceramic coated bellowed up pipes, PHP 50t and 80p, currently 127,000 miles.
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Lol, I am not sure I will ever finish this. The only thing left is the shift boot and top of transmission. I have the anaerobic gasket maker. But, the directions call for Permatex surface prep and activator. I ordered it and it will be here on Sunday. Ugh. BTW, anybody know the proper torque for the rear u-joint bolts? Thanks again guys.

2002 F-250, PSD 6-speed, CC, short bed, 4X4, Toreador Red w/ Silver accent, A.R.E mx cap, Weld Super Single II and 33s in the summer, x-springs, F-350 blocks and badges, AIC, proflaps, ITP intank mod, AirDog with 3 micron filter, isspro guages and TTM, scangauge, husky liners, alarm, xm stereo,stull 5399-p grille, centramatics, ccv mod, AIS Air Filter, Southbend CON O, Detroit Truetrac LSD, coolant filter, 203 stat with billet housing, blackcloud intake heater plug/boost fitting, reese titan hitch, fabcraft PTO cover/temp sender port, prodigy brake controller, ITP Boost Annihalator, oilguard bypass filter, Mag-Hytec rear dif, bilsteins, hellwig rear stabilizer bar, ATS housing, non-ebpv pedistal and exhaust flange, magnaflow 3.5dp exhaust, ITP reg return, turbomaster wastegate controller, and ceramic coated bellowed up pipes, PHP 50t and 80p, currently 127,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale View Post
BTW, anybody know the proper torque for the rear u-joint bolts? Thanks again guys.
The bolts on the t-case output flange are 76 ft-lb. The smaller strap type u-joints get 26 ft-lb.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!!!

post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Thank you to everyone. The truck is back on the road. It seems to shift fine and behaving well. However, there is clearly more noise now with the truck in neutral and idling with foot off the clutch. This noise improves greatly when I push the clutch in and even better when I then put it in gear. I am wondering if the style of throwout bearing is making more noise. What I took out had a plastic body and the new one is all metal. Thoughts?

post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:44 AM

It's probably the new clutch disk being stiffer than the old one (different springs in the center). The ZF6 is known for making a lot of noise, because of the mass of the gears and the torsional vibration of the diesel. It's called gear rollover noise. A much softer clutch disk center reduces it.

With the tranny in neutral, the counter gear is rattling around, being driven by the engine. With the clutch disengaged, it's not seeing the torsional vibration although there may be some movement of the counter gear, and with it in gear, the gears in the tranny are completly stopped.

Try idling around a parking lot in 1st gear. You'll probably get people looking at you like they expect something to fall off the truck. Mine is fairly noisy. It's just the nature of the beast.

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

This is different than the classic ZF rattling in 1st gear. That I a very familiar with since 2001. The odd thing is that this morning I started it up and worked the clutch in and out and it sounded factory new. When I went for a short test drive yesterday, it sounded perfect. But, after a longer drive, this rotational noise in neutral started. It is gone this morning. But, I did not go for a drive. So, it is odd. The old T/O bearing had grime around it and did not just pop out of the arm, it took a little torqueing and wiggling. The new one dropped right in and it is metal. That is why I am wondering if that is what it is. All I now know is that it is intermittent.

post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:15 PM

Maybe just put your earplugs in and wait till it "wears in".

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 09:28 PM

My Photos: (0)
Sounds like you might have a broken pressure plate spring or a very weak one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in