DP Tuner recomendations - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 08:26 AM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Have to chime in on Jody and DP. Excellent customer service, and the tunes are awesome. I use the 80DD most of the time, and have the 60 tow just in case. Unfortunately I do not have a switchable tuner. Before DPs tunes I have an 80 DD tune from another company that was no different than stock, except for the smoke.

2003 F250 crew, 4x4, 7.3 d with Donaldson CAI, SCT tuner with DP 80ECONO and 60TOW tunes, HPX, Hutch mod, in-line fuel filter, 2" lift, extended air dam mod, WW2 turbo wheel, running Torque Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg687 View Post
I use the 80DD most of the time, and have the 60 tow just in case. Unfortunately I do not have a switchable tuner.

If you have a DP-Tuner multi-position chip, then adding a tune switcher is not a problem. While you're at it, if you don't already have an exhaust brake, then add the decal tune for towing in hill country or mountains. The decal tune requires a "shift on the fly" tune switcher.

If you literally have a tuner and not a multi-position chip, then ignore the above. Nobody I know of makes a tuner that can instantly switch between tunes. Mine required a couple of minutes while parked on the side of the road.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 03:10 PM

Garage
what is a tune switcher? can i get the Decel tune on the hydra?

F350 2002 7.3

auto, 37/13.5/20 open country, Bushwaker cut-out flare, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, CNCfab Sgt 1 HPOP, CNCfab HPOP line with cross over, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip with SDK tunes, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
7x17 enclose trailer (shop) 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 03:52 PM
RT

The DP-Tuner is a switch on the fly tuner - not like a programmer. They make both a rotary switcher and a pushbutton switcher. The one I have fits in a gauge pod and displays the number of the current tune you are running. I have it mounted in my quad pillar gauge. I don't think hydra has the decal tune.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 05:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
The DP-Tuner is a switch on the fly tuner - not like a programmer. They make both a rotary switcher and a pushbutton switcher. The one I have fits in a gauge pod and displays the number of the current tune you are running. I have it mounted in my quad pillar gauge. I don't think hydra has the decal tune.
you're talking about something like in the picture?

no PHP do not have the Decal tune but can't I get it from DP for my hydra?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dp-f5-sw-mount.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	88225  

F350 2002 7.3

auto, 37/13.5/20 open country, Bushwaker cut-out flare, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, CNCfab Sgt 1 HPOP, CNCfab HPOP line with cross over, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip with SDK tunes, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 05:55 PM

Garage
nevermind, decel tune from DP use the EBPV to Decel. my truck as EBPV delete LOL

F350 2002 7.3

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yan7gin View Post
nevermind, decel tune from DP use the EBPV to Decel. my truck as EBPV delete LOL
Open the door and put your foot down!

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
Open the door and put your foot down!
that gonna be expensive in shoes LOL

F350 2002 7.3

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yan7gin View Post
that gonna be expensive in shoes LOL
Well don't forget you have two of them. Women really have an advantage because the high heels dig right in and the sparks are real cool.....But damb they hurt my feet.
yan7gin likes this.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
If you have a DP-Tuner multi-position chip, then adding a tune switcher is not a problem. While you're at it, if you don't already have an exhaust brake, then add the decal tune for towing in hill country or mountains. The decal tune requires a "shift on the fly" tune switcher.

If you literally have a tuner and not a multi-position chip, then ignore the above. Nobody I know of makes a tuner that can instantly switch between tunes. Mine required a couple of minutes while parked on the side of the road.
I bought the SCT tuner long ago, and paid for an 80 hp tune from some other guys. Unfortunately replacing the tuner with a switcher was not in the budget so Jody hooked my up with two new tunes. You are right, changing them out takes less time than it takes to fuel up.

2003 F250 crew, 4x4, 7.3 d with Donaldson CAI, SCT tuner with DP 80ECONO and 60TOW tunes, HPX, Hutch mod, in-line fuel filter, 2" lift, extended air dam mod, WW2 turbo wheel, running Torque Pro
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 06:53 PM

I have had a DP Tuner on my 2000 for the last 120K miles. A couple things that happened right after I got it, the important one being my torque converter went out. When I bought the tuner clearly it was already headed south. I just finished it off in Race mode. I got it fixed and haven't had another issue. I regularly tow an 11K fifth wheel in the mountains and the DP Tuner is fantastic. I got my chip with the following settings (remember this was 10 years ago): Stock, 40 hptow, 80 hp Econo, and 120 hp Race. After using it for the last decade I use two settings: Stock (for my annual you-know-what) and 80hp Econo for the other 364.9 days a year. I understand they have a code also that keeps the computer from kicking a 1211 code when your boost gets above 18PSI, which mine does all the time towing. If the 2003s do that, get it.
Smokey Wren had some great advice about equipment to get before chipping. You have to get a better exhaust and the gages including pyro and watch it like a hawk on hills. If you don't get them you will be rebuilding the motor and kicking yourself for not. I do have the boost gage and use it, but I tow in the mountains most of the time. I absolutely love my DP Tuner. It is the best thing I have done for my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in