Engine Braking - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine Braking

2002 Ford E350 Powerstroke, Quigley 4x4 conversion, Sportsmobile camper conversion

I was coming down a long steep fire road in Big Sur this weekend and my front brakes started smoking. After pulling over and letting them cool down, I put it into 1st gear and 4-low. In my jeep, this will let me creep down anything without touching the brakes. I was expecting the same in the automatic, but I wasn’t getting any help and still had to use the brakes.

With the 4x4 and caper conversions, plus camping gear this is a heavy vehicle. We made it down o.k. but I’d like to get things figured out before we hit this camp spot again. Is there a trick to using the engine to control downhill speed? Do I need to take it out of overdrive first?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I did a quick search but nothing was jumping out at me...

-Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosMars View Post
2002 Ford E350 Powerstroke, Quigley 4x4 conversion, Sportsmobile camper conversion

I was coming down a long steep fire road in Big Sur this weekend and my front brakes started smoking. After pulling over and letting them cool down, I put it into 1st gear and 4-low. In my jeep, this will let me creep down anything without touching the brakes. I was expecting the same in the automatic, but I wasn’t getting any help and still had to use the brakes.

With the 4x4 and caper conversions, plus camping gear this is a heavy vehicle. We made it down o.k. but I’d like to get things figured out before we hit this camp spot again. Is there a trick to using the engine to control downhill speed? Do I need to take it out of overdrive first?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I did a quick search but nothing was jumping out at me...

-Mark

Hi mark banks power make a exhaust brake you could install. Helped a friend put one in his truck he said it was night and day difference and loved the help it gave him. Depending on the speed your doing you need to put the trans on the right gear. In my 7.3 f250 with it going 65 I can hit the over drive button off and feel the truck hold back and then at 45 I can go to second and then about 20 or so hit first and really slow down doing engine braking. That’s how I use mine. I also have drilled and slowed rotor and heavy duty pads on the front. If you going to 4 low did not help like you said it did not were you positive it was in 4-low. I ask cause my electric shift on mine sometimes does not go in. Not sure how much your rig weighs but may have been to much to hold back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 F250 7.3 4inc exhaust, Ts 6 pos chip witch custom tunes, Built 4R100 w billet triple disc converter, 6.0 trans cooler and deep tans pan, CCV mod, 4 gauge pod A piller,Boost,Trans temp,EGT,fuel pressure AFE intake,RIFFRAFF Frx fuel Rail dead head fix black spring,High Flow banjo bolts,High Flow CVD Fitting, Harpoon mod,Diesel site adrenaline HPOP,AIH Plug,Plenum Reinforcing Inserts. FULL FORCE DIESEL STAGE 1.5 single shot injectors, Garrett powermax GTP38R and blank pedestal, RIFFRAFF Intercooler CAC Boots with complete clamp kit , scanegauge 2
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 01:51 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

I think you got less braking than you expected because your torque converter wasn't locked up when you put it in first gear. There is a "mod" that allows you to lock your torque converter with a push button switch, but you could also get a tune that does the same and more. For example, Jody's braking tune (DP-tuner) locks the torque converter and closes the exhaust back pressure valve - turning the truck into one big exhaust brake.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:12 PM

My Photos: (1)
Diesels have less engine braking, WAY less, that gas engines as there is no throttle to restrict intake air and make the engine work. I drove several 7.3s and pulled several horse trailers and even tractors on trailers and thought it was all good. Then one day in my 2000 F350 Dually manual trans 4.10 geared truck I went down a downgrade on US 160 eat of Alamosa CO towing three horses in living quarter horse trailer (about 18K pounds) and NOTHING. Brakes got REAL hot. I thought I was going to lose all brakes as I was pushing it way down and all I got was shudder. Downshift only made engine go faster and did nothing to slow me. The grade diminished and I got slowed and stopped. I had thought that truck had good engine braking until I got a few MPH faster with a few more pounds and a little steeper grade. I did get a kit that let me close exhaust damper and it did WAY better. Autos need to TC lock system as RT said to get the full benefit of exh brake. I think you found that grade with that load and surpassed the engine braking capability.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000F250-7.3 View Post
Hi mark banks power make a exhaust brake you could install.

What's involved with the install for the Banks exhaust brake? Do you remember how long it took you to install it? If I wind up having something installed I'd have to have someone else do the work, trying to gauge labor costs...

Thanks for the input!

-Mark...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
There is a "mod" that allows you to lock your torque converter with a push button switch, but you could also get a tune that does the same and more. For example, Jody's braking tune (DP-tuner) locks the torque converter and closes the exhaust back pressure valve - turning the truck into one big exhaust brake.
I've heard there are different tunes you can get that increase performance in different areas. Is a tune just a program you feed into the vehicles computer? Is there any hardware that you'd need to interface? Can you pick a different tune for daily driving vs. road trip vs. long steep incline for a relatively short stretch; or does a tune just recalibrate the overall performance you get out of the vehicle?

Thanks for all the input, definitely getting a better feel for things based on the feedback I'm getting!

-Mark...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosMars View Post
What's involved with the install for the Banks exhaust brake? Do you remember how long it took you to install it? If I wind up having something installed I'd have to have someone else do the work, trying to gauge labor costs...

Thanks for the input!

-Mark...

We switch it from one truck to his so everything was a swap. But two of us it took 4hours start to finish to get it swapped.

2000 F250 7.3 4inc exhaust, Ts 6 pos chip witch custom tunes, Built 4R100 w billet triple disc converter, 6.0 trans cooler and deep tans pan, CCV mod, 4 gauge pod A piller,Boost,Trans temp,EGT,fuel pressure AFE intake,RIFFRAFF Frx fuel Rail dead head fix black spring,High Flow banjo bolts,High Flow CVD Fitting, Harpoon mod,Diesel site adrenaline HPOP,AIH Plug,Plenum Reinforcing Inserts. FULL FORCE DIESEL STAGE 1.5 single shot injectors, Garrett powermax GTP38R and blank pedestal, RIFFRAFF Intercooler CAC Boots with complete clamp kit , scanegauge 2
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:49 PM

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
I think you got less braking than you expected because your torque converter wasn't locked up when you put it in first gear.
I disagree. While I was at Ford we measured the available engine braking with and without the torque converter locked. At any given RPM there was only 10% more engine braking available with the converter locked. That's not the problem. The problem is that the diesel engine has very little engine braking without an added engine or exhaust brake.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 09:33 AM
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
I disagree.
Well, what can I say - I've got to be wrong about something at least once a year or people will get suspicious.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in