The Diesel Stop banner

Engine coolant- What should I do ?

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  ArcticDriver 
#1 ·
I'm still learning about my 2001 7.3 PSD and just discovered the coolant has special needs.

Here is the history : March this year I changed my oem radiator (found a small leak) and just used (I don't know what kind) anti-freeze, .

Now I read that I should have used a special formula anti-freeze :-( But I'm having a difficult time determining which formula/product I need for my particular truck.

Can someone tell me what product(s) I should replace my anti-freeze with ?

I plan on doing the complete flush/fill per the sticky thread by SmokeyWren.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
You have two options - an extended life Cat EC1 rated antifreeze or a SCA loaded conventional.

With the extended life antifreeze, you can do your flush, fill with 4 gallons of concentrate, top off with distilled water and forget about it for the next decade.

With the SCA option, you can use a pre-loaded like FleetCharge and then maintain the SCA. You'll need to buy test strips, test 3-4 times a year, keep adding SCA to keep the levels right, and you'll need to flush and refill in a couple years. All that and still won't have the protection if you go with the extended life.

So - not much of a choice really. I use Rotella ELC. There are a number of others out there, including Peak FinalCharge which you can get at NAPA. https://www.peakhd.com/product-lines/final-charge/about/

Whatever you get - you have to get 4 gallons of concentrate. Do NOT get the pre-mix.

Reactions: oilcan1001
#3 ·
Thanks RT.
What about..... silica or no silica ?

#4 ·
No silica. All the ELCs should be silicate free anyway, but if they aren't - pick one that is silicate free.

#6 ·
I switched to red ELC about six years ago and could not be happier. Used International's brand and used Gouch's flush method. Replaced it this year again as I had my engine oil cooler rebuilt.

Mechanic said it still look clean and good, even after six years. I used Rotella ELC this time.

#7 ·
Rotella ELC (red 'million mile' coolant).

#8 · (Edited)
I found an ELC that is a bit cheaper ($15-$18/gallon jug) than several of the others and still good for 3-years/300,000-miles and then you can use a 1-time "Extender" and double that.

Here is the descrition: http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/zerex_extended_life.pdf

Its available at NAPA and AMAZON in the 100% Concentrate and it is ZEREX Extended Life "Heavy Duty". It is a Valvoline product.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0033QVL9C/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_01_01_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Be sure to get a Motorcraft Thermostat when you do your flush and make sure it is the "long neck" version. Alot of guys take this opportunity to swap out their T-stat Housing as well. One truck I was able to re-use my original but on another I opted for a $25 replacement.

#9 ·
When flushing, use your old thermostat: Remove the center portion, leaving the sealing ring intact. That will help keep the joint from leaking while you are doing the flush. As ArcticDriver said make sure to use an OEM Motorcraft replacement; aftermarket ones often do not seal correctly.

Do your flush/refill all at one time. Leaving it sit even overnight empty or with just water in it brings on the rust.

#10 ·
thanks for all the tips guys !!!!

#11 ·
I concur with the others. Red ELC is the way to go. 6.5 years ago I filled up with Fleetrite. I went to get another bunch to replace the coolant after 6.5 years and...less than 10k miles, and the shop did not have Fleetrite, but provided Shell Rotella which meets the same spec.

If you are in the Seattle Area, I recommend Bryant Motors in Renton. They're good folks.

#13 ·
Rotella ELC for me!

#15 ·
The reason I used the Zerex is because it was the easiest to find in Fairbanks. NAPA over on Van Horn.

I think I am approaching my 3-year mark this summer so I will need to add a bottle of the “extender” this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.