Engine Oil Recommendations - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By DENNY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Engine Oil Recommendations

Bought a 2000 F350 with 112k miles, done a few oil changes and currently at 120k. Considering changing to a synthetic for the long term, like to keep the truck going for a couple 100k more. What are you using and what change intervals? I use my truck as a daily driver and occasionally tow a 10k 5th wheel. Been using Dello 15w 40 at 3k+ oil changes. Thanks.

2000 F-350 4X4 Super Duty Crewcab Longbed Dually 7.3 112xxx mi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:41 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would just keep using the Delco but extend the changes out some. I am using Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40 and according to my oil analysis I can go past 5000 miles on a change. You can get a free sample kit from Blackstone Labs and find out what your oil is doing along with seeing what the wear is like in the engine.

If I was going to go with a full synthetic I would go with Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 11:02 AM

My Photos: (8)
I would agree with Bugman. The Dello will do just fine. I tested Rotilla 15w-40 in the past and even at 6,000 mile change interval it was fine. I am sure the Dello would do the same.
DENNY
Marty likes this.

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 04:09 PM

I notice a difference in my engine around 5,000 miles which then reminds me to check my last oil change. That is with full synthetic 5w40.

I am guessing I would feel that difference sooner with a conventional or semi-synthetic but have always run 5w40.

Its just my opinion but I think a UOA that reports TBN remaining is just part of the picture of oil health. Just my opinion with no supporting evidence. All I know is my engine sure runs quieter after a new oil change even when Blackstone says I could have run another 2,500 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 07:06 PM

I just switched to synthetic on my last oil change. I had never tried it before. The engine is so much smoother and quieter. I think I am going to continue with the synthetic.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:56 PM

My Photos: (8)
The only oil I have had any issue with is the stock Ford Motorcraft that did start foaming at around 5,000. I have run both synthetic and non-synthetic, several different brands and have not noticed any noise change, but then I an usually rocking out any time I drive so would not notice. Some of the trucks do perform better with a particular brand or weight, once you find it stick with it.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in