Engine runs but no throttle response? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine runs but no throttle response?

I have a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 in it, and it starts fine, runs good and will go into gear and move, but there is no throttle response. its like the pedal is not hooked up.... what should i look for to remedy the problem? thank you

Dont drive faster than your Angel can fly....

I like what I do, and I do what I like... fortunatly I can make a decent living at it as long as I keep doing it.

1995 F-250 XLT PSD Ext-cab 4X4 4:10 gears, straight pipe, 3" downpipe, shimmed FPR, Tony Wildman 4pos.chip, dash mounted triple gauge, deleted EBPV, baldwin PA2818 open element intake, MileMarker SS manual hubs, tru-cool "max" tranny cooler. 200,000mi service included injector job, lift pump & hoses, IPR valve, CPS,MAP,EBP,BARO,ICP sensors, new poly bushings w/extended front spring shackles & F-350 springs in the rear. new carrier bearings in the rear diff. only used to pull the Dive boat or Polaris toy trailer. GVW when ready to go, 17,000lbs. with 4 sets of dive gear on the boat.

'94 volvo service truck... with all the tools and other fun stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 02:13 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Are your gauges working. The fuse that does the OD light, gauges and throttle pedal is the same - if the wire in the shifter shorts and takes out this fuse, you will have no throttle response - TransmissionShifterLeverchaferepairV-2.pdf

Apart from that, the actual throttle pedal could be bad. This is a fly by wire system, so no signal - no throttle.
BroncoGlenn likes this.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 04:20 PM

My Photos: (1)
Probably a bad throttle position sensor. ~$30 online.

2016 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC LB, DRW, 6.7 CTD, 4wd, Aisin trans

Gone but not forgotten...
2002 F-350 SRW
Lariat, Crew Cab, Long Bed
4X4, Auto Trans, Tymar Intake
Wicked Wheel, Zoodad Mod
DP Tuner - 60E, 80E, 40T, 80T, Decel
05+ Harley Headlights
6" Upper and Lower Windshield Brows
ISSPRO Gauges, Edge Insight CTS

Sold at 206,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Now that i am at the pickup, it is actually a 2000 year model.... the throttle actuator/pedal is a sealed unit. sometimes it will throttle up momentarily, but then nothing.... is tbere anyway to trouble shoot whether its the pedal or the ecm?

I like what I do, and I do what I like... fortunatly I can make a decent living at it as long as I keep doing it.

1995 F-250 XLT PSD Ext-cab 4X4 4:10 gears, straight pipe, 3" downpipe, shimmed FPR, Tony Wildman 4pos.chip, dash mounted triple gauge, deleted EBPV, baldwin PA2818 open element intake, MileMarker SS manual hubs, tru-cool "max" tranny cooler. 200,000mi service included injector job, lift pump & hoses, IPR valve, CPS,MAP,EBP,BARO,ICP sensors, new poly bushings w/extended front spring shackles & F-350 springs in the rear. new carrier bearings in the rear diff. only used to pull the Dive boat or Polaris toy trailer. GVW when ready to go, 17,000lbs. with 4 sets of dive gear on the boat.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 07:06 PM
RT

Sure - put a scanner on it and watch the TPS signal. Do you have functional gauges? Do you have an OD light? If it is intermittent is is most likely the TPS (pedal assembly) - the PCM going out would be much more unusual.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Sure - put a scanner on it and watch the TPS signal. Do you have functional gauges? Do you have an OD light? If it is intermittent is is most likely the TPS (pedal assembly) - the PCM going out would be much more unusual.
i have all the gauges and lights..... i purchased a new pedal assy and plugged it in and it made no difference. so i have a new one for sale cheap....
the pedal assy is the newer "one plug" model, rather than the "two plug" model... both styles were used in '01....

at times, but rarely, just after starting it will have throttle control but it goes away immediatly.... I traced all the wires on the diagram and they all go to the pcm, but I have no indication of what the wires do or their voltage values, so I cant trouble shoot further without more information on the 5 wires coming from the throttle controller to the pcm.....

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 11:24 AM

I had a no throttle response on mine and put 4 or 5 different assemblies(same part no.) in and continued to have intermittent issues for months until I tried a different part # that NAPA had. No problems since. Both part# were ford reboxes and the assembly that worked looked completely different but it fit. I'll see if I can get a part#.
Isn't there a recall out on the pedal now?
Tim

02 F350 4X4 CC SRW Downpipe/4" exhaust AFE intake Edge w/attitude Banks transcommand dual alternator(don't know why I'll need 2) Riderite bags
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 09:49 AM

My 2003 7.3l once lost all throttle response on me. Ran fine just nothing from the go pedal. I found a blown fuse and replaced it. My Excursion fired up and I had throttle. I dropped into drive and lost throttle. I did this about 3 times. Had it towed to the stealership and it was the Overdrive override button wiring. It had shorted out. When I would drop it in hear it would blow the fuse. It was a simple fix. But expensive diagnosis. Good luck.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 12:01 AM

A momentary short in the OD switch wire on the gear selector stalk will do that.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...repair-v-2.pdf
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Are your gauges working. The fuse that does the OD light, gauges and throttle pedal is the same - if the wire in the shifter shorts and takes out this fuse, you will have no throttle response - Attachment 22217

Apart from that, the actual throttle pedal could be bad. This is a fly by wire system, so no signal - no throttle.
We are having this exact issue with our 2000 F250 diesel. The Pdf that you provided, could that be applied to our truck or do you have a different pdf you could provide?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:14 PM
RT

It applies to your truck. If you read through, it lists fuse numbers for the 99-01 models as well as the 02-03 model. The circuit is the same. For a temporary fix, pull the steering cover, unplug the OD wire and replace the fuse. Then, you can drive the truck while you are waiting for the new shifter to arrive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:35 PM

Thank you RT! Our truck is up and running thanks to you!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 02:04 PM
RT

I'm very happy to have been of service. Thanks again to Ken for the great write-up.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 11:57 PM

I have a 99 that will give the same symptoms, but will eventually everything will start working. Could this chafed wire short out, but not blow the fuse?. I also have an intermittent issue when I turn on my headlights, the dash lights are slow to turn on. Any thoughts?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 03:28 AM

My 2001 did this, blew the #19 fuse, repeatedly. Worn wire from the O/D switch shorted to ground. Took it apart, taped the wire, re-routed it a bit, a little slack in the clip, and back up running perfectly. Thanks in no small part to this thread and the internet search that found it. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in