EOT temps? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EOT temps?

Does anyone know what the normal Engine Oil Temperatures are? Just curious...I was reading the EOT temps off the OBDll connector and the highest reading I saw was 187 degrees. Then it seemed to cool down a little to 170 degrees. I am running a stock thermostat.

Griz

02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 09:27 PM

My Photos: (7)
Depends on the temps outside and how hard you're working the engine. I see EOT over 200 deg in summer time in Texas.

Chris
2002 F350 6-speed 444 CID. XLT, Heated Seat, 500,000 & counting.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
Depends on the temps outside and how hard you're working the engine. I see EOT over 200 deg in summer time in Texas.
Thanks Chris...I wasn't working the truck hard nor was the outside temperature very warm (mid 60's). I did notice the dash temperature gage is just about worthless. It pretty much stayed the same when the EOT temperature was 125F to 185F. I guess that is nothing new.

Griz

02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

This weekend I was towing my 5K trailer over a mountain pass and saw EOT running as high as 225 F. Is this normal or is my thermostat stuck?

Griz

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 01:16 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

I've never seen my EOT that high - the oil coolers on these trucks are pretty efficient and our cooling systems are pretty oversized. While those temps aren't in a danger zone, I'd be looking at two things. Is your coolant temp getting that hot as well (my EOT and ECT are never more than a few points from each other) and, is your cooling system functioning adequately. I'd be cleaning every component in the cooling stack (radiator, condenser, transmission cooler, intercooler) and checking my fan clutch.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz View Post
This weekend I was towing my 5K trailer over a mountain pass and saw EOT running as high as 225 F. Is this normal or is my thermostat stuck?

Griz
I see similar... I guess i"m a bit heavier (15-16K GCW). I saw temps like this yesterday in 95F temps running 65-70mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
I've never seen my EOT that high - the oil coolers on these trucks are pretty efficient and our cooling systems are pretty oversized. While those temps aren't in a danger zone, I'd be looking at two things. Is your coolant temp getting that hot as well (my EOT and ECT are never more than a few points from each other) and, is your cooling system functioning adequately. I'd be cleaning every component in the cooling stack (radiator, condenser, transmission cooler, intercooler) and checking my fan clutch.
I think it's probably my fan clutch, but I'll probably do a WP and Rad at the same time. My condenser should probably be looked at to. it's up in the front of the stack and gets the brunt of bugs and stuff hitting it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The Rig" - 2001 Ford F-250 CCSB 4x4 7.3 PSD Lariat - 285/75R16 BFG AT KO, HD4R100, MBRP 4" XP series exhaust, Ford AIS Intake, Zoodad, Fumoto oil drain valve, Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT In-Dash Nav, ScanGauge II, GlowShift 3 Gauge Pod (EGT, TFT, Boost)
307rwhp / 651rwft-lbs
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 02:22 PM
RT

The condenser is up front and gets the majority of crap first, but it also gets washed out first with every car wash / rainstorm /etc. The micro crap that gets through tends to build up in the back units. I've seen several radiators that were over half plugged with detritus even though the condenser was relatively clean.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
The condenser is up front and gets the majority of crap first, but it also gets washed out first with every car wash / rainstorm /etc. The micro crap that gets through tends to build up in the back units. I've seen several radiators that were over half plugged with detritus even though the condenser was relatively clean.
I had the radiator and intercooler out about 2 years ago, and rinsed them out... a bit of junk at the lower ends but not that bad (My transmission cooler was replaced with the transmission then and since with the 26 row). the bigger issue, IMHO with mine, is the mangled fins on the condenser... it needs to be combed.

I really can't tell on my fan clutch.. it seems a bit tight when cold. No wobble or play though.

"The Rig" - 2001 Ford F-250 CCSB 4x4 7.3 PSD Lariat - 285/75R16 BFG AT KO, HD4R100, MBRP 4" XP series exhaust, Ford AIS Intake, Zoodad, Fumoto oil drain valve, Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT In-Dash Nav, ScanGauge II, GlowShift 3 Gauge Pod (EGT, TFT, Boost)
307rwhp / 651rwft-lbs
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
RT...I don't have a coolant temperature gage so I don't know what it is but like you I am assuming it is pretty close to the EOT. I'll check my radiator, intercooler and transmission cooler for debris. You don't think my thermostat could be stuck or not opening fully might be the issue?

Griz

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 04:45 PM

RT- My EOT is a pretty consistent 13 deg higher than coolant . Am using a "Col" XGauge on my Scangauge II as am unable to read coolant temp any other way. The reg XGauge doesn't work. (2/99 mfg date). On a recent trip from CA to AZ, went through most of the desert at 106-116 ambient and had 192 Col and 205 EOT. Is that 13 deg delta indication a potential oil cooler issue?

Feb '99 PS F250 4wd XLT Extended Cab LB, Banks Stinger Plus, Banksbrake with Smartlock, Pillar EGT, Trans Temp, Boost gauges, ScanGauge II, Repl 4R100 @ 50K. Added 6.0 26 Row Trans cooler @94K; as of 9/12/2012 leaking TC seal repaired by John Wood Holtville, Ca.; John Wood Towmaster Billet TC; John Wood Coast, Overdrive Clutches & HD pump body. Yellow/blue Bilsteins @ 100K miles and this truck is still a cool runner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankstruck View Post
RT- My EOT is a pretty consistent 13 deg higher than coolant . Am using a "Col" XGauge on my Scangauge II as am unable to read coolant temp any other way. The reg XGauge doesn't work. (2/99 mfg date). On a recent trip from CA to AZ, went through most of the desert at 106-116 ambient and had 192 Col and 205 EOT. Is that 13 deg delta indication a potential oil cooler issue?
That Scangauge code is some sort of estimate that the PCM calculates. There is no sensor for coolant that the PCM is reading on Automatic Transmission Trucks.

307rwhp / 651rwft-lbs
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 08:52 PM

With a 203 thermostat I normally see between 203-215. It will go up to 223 in the summer and the fan clutch will lock above 223.

(HIS) 2000 F350 4X4 Lariat ZF6 CC Long Box 260k+, 4" MBRP Straight Pipe w/ 5" Tip, Gearhead Hydra Chip, K&N Intake, Dieselsite Boots, MAX AC Assist, AIH Delete, Foil Delete, EBP Delete, Garrett 1.0 Exhaust Housing and Non-EBPV Pedestal, Wicked Wheel 2, Water Injection, International Bellowed Up Pipes, 203* Thermostat, South Bend Dyna Max Clutch Con OFE, 2.5" Leveling Kit, Rancho 9000XL, Weathertech Mats, Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX 285/75-16 on Pro Comp 1069, Duraflap's Front and Rear, Smoked Lens Projector Headlights w/ Raptor HID 55w 6000K and Smoked Lens LED Tail Lights.

(HERS) 2001 Excursion Limited 4x4, V codes w/ Bilstein shocks.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 04:06 PM

Col vs EOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceB View Post
That Scangauge code is some sort of estimate that the PCM calculates. There is no sensor for coolant that the PCM is reading on Automatic Transmission Trucks.
That certainly seems to be the case on both counts. Interestingly, it does vary while maintaining a -13 deg delta from EOT. One might wonder if EOT is a basis for the estimate/calculation. At any rate, I don't count on the Col reading for anything but a comparative reference for now and might ultimately delete if it serves no real purpose. Col does increase when the truck is worked harder (towing up a grade) and returns to a nominal reading of 185 or so when not, depending on ambient. Just wondering if RT or anybody else found a 13 deg delta between those 2 to be significant.

Feb '99 PS F250 4wd XLT Extended Cab LB, Banks Stinger Plus, Banksbrake with Smartlock, Pillar EGT, Trans Temp, Boost gauges, ScanGauge II, Repl 4R100 @ 50K. Added 6.0 26 Row Trans cooler @94K; as of 9/12/2012 leaking TC seal repaired by John Wood Holtville, Ca.; John Wood Towmaster Billet TC; John Wood Coast, Overdrive Clutches & HD pump body. Yellow/blue Bilsteins @ 100K miles and this truck is still a cool runner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 04:49 PM
RT

Since it is a made up number, I don't think you can assign any significance to it at all. I would be a little worried if real measurements between ECT and EOT showed a 13° delta. My brief experiment with watching ECT with my scangauge showed the temperature climbing up to the melting point of lead and then plummeting to ice cold and working its way up again. The final display temp was within reason of what you would expect ECT to be, but at the end of the day - its still a made up number.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 06:16 PM

Garage
My 02 oil temp will a lot of time only be about 170 to 205. I live 4.5 miles from town and I can drive to town and do things and drive back home and my oil temp will only get to about 140 degrees. I have IssPro gauges and this in 70 degree weather.

02 F350 Lariet CCLB 4wd Dually 7.3 6sp M. 122,000 miles, Manual hubs and transfer case.
Stock as of yet. So far have bought
4" MBRA turbo back with muffler
GTP 38R BB turbo and WWII wheel and high flow housing, Non EBV pedestal, Adrenaline HPOP.
New IH up-pipes, Aluminum intake plenums, 203* Therm with aluminum housing, Boost relief valve, all new boots, FPRx and HPRx. Coolant and Trans Filter kits. Max AC Assist control Valve. 8 gauges,
Boost,Pyro,Fuel,HPOP,LPOP pressure. Water,Oil and Trans Temp. Need tunes and injectors yet.
03 26' CM 4 Horse trailer and 25' GN flat bed.

06 F-350 Lariet CCSB SRW 4wd Auto 6.0 78,000
miles. Atlas 80 with Ed's lifetime, Blue spring, MBRP 4" turbo back with muffler, Bully Dog for monitoring. So far no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in