Exhaust brakes - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust brakes

My FIL bought my '02. He just acquired a 10k 5th wheel travel trailer and wanted to know if he should look into an exhaust brake.

I seem to remember there not being a lot to gain for an exhaust brake on the 7.3, but am I wrong?

It is a manual 6spd truck and he will be pulling all over CO and beyond.

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

'73 Bronco 351 SEFI, 35's & Locked!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:03 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
I have no experience with exhaust brakes, but it the trailer has brakes on it, he'll probably be fine. The 6 speed has better engine braking capabilities than an auto tranny IMO. Others may have different opinions.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:35 AM

My Photos: (0)
I tow a 36' 5th wheel with my 2002 7.3 6 speed. I looked into exhaust brakes, expensive beasts they are. DP-Tuner talked me into trying their tune that allows the use of the EBPV as an exhaust brake. It works well. I can come down Eisenhower and Vail in 4th gear with the EBPV on and never touch the brakes.

Gary

2002 F250 XLT, Super Cab, Short Bed 4X4
Build Date: 10/1/2001
7.3 PSD, 6 Speed Manual Transmission
AIS Severe Duty Intake
20.1 MPG Average
Pine Junction, Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Thanks for the comments. I passed them along and he can make the decision from there. If someone has actual exhaust brake experience on the 7.3, I'd still love to hear from you!

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

'73 Bronco 351 SEFI, 35's & Locked!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:52 PM

I have a PacBrake direct mount on my 99.5 with a six speed. Lots of heavy loads and just a heavy truck, but still have the original brakes at 130000 miles. As long as you are willing to downshift and let the engine spin it works great. The pacbrake that was on my 96 was better, but I had 4.10 gears in it. It also had a nice rumble to it!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:23 PM

I have the BD exhaust brake. In my opinion the best one available. It is adjustable to what percentage braking you want. It comes set to 60% , which is max recommended on a stock truck. It held real good, and I do have an automatic. I also have a full set of DP tunes giving complete control of the transmission gear and torque convert lock. My motor is built, I spent a lot of cash on the build and its pretty much nuclear bomb proof, not just bullet proof like stock. So I have it pegged at 100% braking. Its loud as hell, like a rig, but it holds down my 41ft Fifth wheel threw the mountains of BC. I don't know anywhere in North America with stupid climbs like we have. Even Colorado mountains look like speed bumps here. The tunes that use the back pressure valve work ok, but that valve is wimpy as heck, and if your towing any real loads it wont last long. Some have, most wont. My case is some what extreme since my motor is valued at 40k and I tow way over the legal limit ( fifth wheel 18k loaded, Backhoe lowbed 26k). The amazing thing is the transmission is unhappy, but still intact. Automatics don't like the exhaust brakes, and they total the coast clutch system unless your transmission is built as well. I vowed to rebuild it when it goes thinking that would be soon with the power and braking. But it wont blow! For a crappy transmission, I sure got a good one some how.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:58 AM

I put a Banks Brake on my 2000 F250 auto 4x4 7.4 and am very pleased with it's performance. With the install I also have the Banks Trans Lock which is recommended by Banks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:46 AM

I have a banks exhaust brake and trans lock set up I removed from my 2003 F550, it was installed new with the Fontaine Classic Traveler pkg and its all there I just have no need for it and its for sale.

1966 Ford F-250 352CI. Styleside,Longbed.
2001 Ford F-350 PSD Auto,crewcab,Longbed,4X4,3:73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in