Extremely Loud in Morning, EBPV? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Extremely Loud in Morning, EBPV?

Could be a problem, could be nothing.

Normally, in the morning when I start my truck, it will idle for about 30 seconds normally, then jump up a little in rpms and start sounding like a very loud jet plane. If I tap the brake, the truck returns to normal sound and rpms. The truck has always done this.

Now when it's colder in the morning, the truck is always that loud when I'm on the throttle. Tapping the brake won't disengage it, though it doesn't do it all the time.

We are talking embarrasingly loud here. People on the freeway are looking over at me going 60mph.

EBPV sticking, or is this normal operation? Or something else?

2003 F250 7.3 PSD. 4in exhaust, no cat or muffler. TS 6-pos, K&n filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 11:43 AM

Re: Extremely Loud in Morning, EBPV?

I'm new to this but I can tell you what my 2000 does. I get a hiss that seems to come from behind the dash. If I mash on it, it goes away. If I am driving and the EBPV is on, I see NO boost. When it is off I get .5 to 2lbs of boost under the same driving/throttle. When the valve is closed I get very high EGT's.

You should be able to tell if the valve is closed by the boost and EGTs.

1992 E350 7.3 IDI, 3.73 club van - 160K
1998 Quad cab 2500 12V Cummins, 4x4,auto, all stock with 145K miles
2000 F350,DRW converted to SRW with Vision 19.5" wheels,4x4,6 speed,Lariat,Napa 6642 airfilter,Edge Juice w/Attitude,Cody Cushon gooseneck, 175K, Prodigy, 3.73 gears
2002 TDI Jetta Manual 200K
2002 TDI Jetta Manual 230K
2003 TDI Jetta Maual 90K
1999 Polaris Diesel Quad
2004 Kubota BX 1500 599cc diesel
(yah I like the old mechanical diesels
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Little more info:

Today my truck made the loud noise my entire way to work (about 15 minutes). The truck reached normal operating temp about half way there. I did not pay attention to exhaust temp on the pyro, but I will tomorrow. Any comments until then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 12:28 PM

My Photos: (9)

that is your ebpv working right it is warm the truck up faster

2002 psd,4x4,auto,extended cab shory,
DP-TUNED: no-start-80 econo-140agg-80 tow-hi idle-drive thru-lope idle-stock
8" super lift with 38x14.50 toyo open country mt's
mickey tompson classic II's pc'ed flat black
4.56 gears front and back filled with detroit tru trac covered with mag hytec cover
guaged by autometer fuel pressure-pyro-trans-boost
Banks big head waste gate
4" turbo back to custom dual 6 inch tips
deezee tool box pc'ed black with gull wing doors
05-07 front end conversion
k&n fipk cold air intake kit
zoodad mod
aih delete
diesel site 203 t-stat billet aluminum housing
pefered upper hose
ITP regulated return
FASS system
In tank fuel mods
stealth stage 2 hpop(big oil)
custom built tranny
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 12:53 PM

My Photos: (12)

I don't know how much the EBPV depends on the coolant temperature. Mine seems to work with Oil Temperature more than anything. It will be activated for sometime after the coolant temp gauge reads normal. The other thing not to forget is that the temp gauge does not read the temperature of the coolant. It is a computer message indicating the range the coolant temperature is in. Kind of a feel good thing.

2011 f250 XLT 4X4 Crew Cab.

SOLD - 2001 F250 XLT 7.3L SC/SB 4x4 (ESOF) - Tranny Upgrades; SCMT 1705; AIS Intake w/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; ZooDad; Turbo back 4" Exhaust; Issopro Pillar Mount Gauges; TC lockup LED;
;
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 12:59 PM

My Photos: (17)

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how much the EBPV depends on the coolant temperature. Mine seems to work with Oil Temperature more than anything. It will be activated for sometime after the coolant temp gauge reads normal. The other thing not to forget is that the temp gauge does not read the temperature of the coolant. It is a computer message indicating the range the coolant temperature is in. Kind of a feel good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]This is right on in my experience. My OEM coolant gauge will be at normal operating temp when my aftermarket coolant gauge says I am at 165. My EBPV will still be closing up to about 1500-1600 rpm. Above that and it opens. I agree, the EBPV activates depending on the oil not coolant temp. A few miles beyond this and it is open for the rest of the trip. BTW, I have not seen the OEM coolant gauge move when the coolant increases from 165 to 215. Another Ford better idea........... the idiot gauge.

2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds but otherwise stock.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 01:17 PM

Yes, it works on oil temp not coolant temp. On a verry cold day it could cycle open and closed depending on whether you are idling driving, at a stop light, etc.

Larry P [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

02 F250XLT SD CC LB 4X4, Silver, SD Air Lifts, 4R100, Westin Sportsman grill/brushguard, Leer Shell, AIS Severe Duty w/added fender intake, Edge EVO running 80 HP, ISSPRO's w/cubby mount, Rancho 9000X's, Banks 3 1/2" downpipe, BTM, 3 1/2" exhaust front to rear with 5" stainless tip. Sonnex and Tricum's. Fumoto Valve. Royal Purple ATF. Tru-Cool 4590. Tekonisha Prodigy. SP Diesel SSEBTC Exhaust Brake. Like new 88 Vacationeer 11.4' or 2008 Cardinal 31SB, 1992 Bayliner Trophy and the itch to go, baited hooks and the need to fish, loaded guns and the need to hunt.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 01:45 PM

I don't know which one it reads off of but it should dis engauge when you put it in gear. It is sticking. There is a mechanical problem.

Courage is not the absence of fear but being afraid and moving forward anyway.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 09:28 PM

My Photos: (12)

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know which one it reads off of but it should dis engauge when you put it in gear. It is sticking. There is a mechanical problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
Negative. The EBPV will stay closed until the engine is warmed enough or you get on the accelerator hard.

2011 f250 XLT 4X4 Crew Cab.

SOLD - 2001 F250 XLT 7.3L SC/SB 4x4 (ESOF) - Tranny Upgrades; SCMT 1705; AIS Intake w/
; ZooDad; Turbo back 4" Exhaust; Issopro Pillar Mount Gauges; TC lockup LED;
;
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it does not disengage or quit working until the oil temperature is at a given temperature, your exhaust back pressure increases because you stepped hard on the throttle or the incoming air temp increases along with the oil temp. Those are the sensors the PCM reads to determine EBPV operation. Placing the truck in gear has no effect on EBPV operation.

Perhaps you're thinking that because the idle returns to normal speed from high idle, when you press on the brake to put the truck in gear, that it defeats the EBPV also?? It does not.

02 F250XLT SD CC LB 4X4, Silver, SD Air Lifts, 4R100, Westin Sportsman grill/brushguard, Leer Shell, AIS Severe Duty w/added fender intake, Edge EVO running 80 HP, ISSPRO's w/cubby mount, Rancho 9000X's, Banks 3 1/2" downpipe, BTM, 3 1/2" exhaust front to rear with 5" stainless tip. Sonnex and Tricum's. Fumoto Valve. Royal Purple ATF. Tru-Cool 4590. Tekonisha Prodigy. SP Diesel SSEBTC Exhaust Brake. Like new 88 Vacationeer 11.4' or 2008 Cardinal 31SB, 1992 Bayliner Trophy and the itch to go, baited hooks and the need to fish, loaded guns and the need to hunt.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 01:38 PM

My Photos: (1)

I don't believe it is your EBPV, if it is something is wrong. AS said above it is only a hissing sound I hear coming from the dash, surely not something that would draw attention from another vehicle with their windows up!!!! Besides you are saying it is continuing even after the truck is well at operating temp. Maybe some others will add their .02. I am not trying to worry you but it doesn't sound right to me.

NCH
2000 Ford F350 4X4 Auto,Crew Cab Lariat, Western Hauler Package, Long bed,
Isspro EV Guages on A-Pillar, Coolant change from Green to Gold to Red,
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 02:47 PM

My Photos: (16)

After dealing with this on mine over the last month or so as temps got colder, I'd say yours sounds normal, annoying but normal. I found it unacceptable and disabled the valve back on the turbo pedistal. It has to have a negative affect on fuel mileage. The fast idle is retained but the back pressure valve just won't close anymore. I have found no detrimental affect on warm-up time and the loss of the jet/vacuum cleaner has removed the embarrassment of having to make excuses for what is otherwise a very nice truck. Regaining a more linear and reliable power curve during my initial cold weather drive is nice too. It always seemed that the truck was being restrained before, that is no longer the case. I do drive it more conservatively until the temp gage gets to the bottom of the normal operating range.

If you would like to test this quickly and easily for yourself. Disconnecting the Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor on the front of the engine will also disable it but will throw codes to the computer. These codes are not a problem in the short term (and will disappear after it is reconnected) but you don't want to use this connection as the fix in the long term. As I understand the connection back on the turbo pedistal does not send codes to the computer.

RickN

(mods listed in comments under photo in above link)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 04:36 PM

Just look around some on this forum, on the 94-97 forum and every PSD forum you can find. What you will find is that all over all the forums are descriptions of this problem. The descriptiopns may not be exactly the same but they all have shown up since the cold weather has begun. In colder areas the problem descriptions sound worse, in warmer but cold climate the symptoms sound less severe and in the Summer you never hear of it. Coincidence? nope! They are virtually descriptions of the same issue. That is, a change in the operation of the EBPV since colder weather began that is more noticeable, noisier, irritating and is described as a "whoosh, hiss, roar, miss, stumble, surge, loss of power when cold, no power when cold, truck won't move when cold, no power when I start in the morning, high EGT's in the morning, cycling boost pressure for miles when cold".

The fact is that most, if not all, these "problems" are related to the EBPV. My experience is that most operate differently depending on their condition, the quality of the inputs to the PCM, the size on the downpipe, the modifications to the intake, whether you moved the air temp sensor outside the airbox, etc, etc. and all factors that have an effect on the exhaust back pressure sensor reading, the oil temperature and the input air temperature. All those things control it's operation. The root cause is colder weather and it's effect on the operation of the valve.

Ever hear of the term "garbage in, garbage out" well that may be why the PCM is causing the EBPV to fuction weird on some trucks. You change the quality of the inputs to the PCM and you change the normal operation of the valve. Plugged EBP line, moved air temp sensor all will have a negative effect on the quality of the valve operation.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 06:59 PM

My Photos: (3)

You can really hear it well when you dont have a kitty or muffler on like the 2 of us do. My exhaust exits in front of the rear wheel and it is just awesome to hear. The way mine works when it is really cold, is it closes the EBPV at anything under 1/8 throttle-ish. it has been down in the teens here in the mornings and it really is loud. But it is totally normal to hear the jet-like sound when you have a straight piped exhaust.

1996 PSD F-350 crew cab 4x4, AB CODE CALIFORNIA TRUCK, 5 speed,CON-O SMFW modified by Southbend Clutch, ORU Reverse Shackle kit, 4:10, u.s. gear chip, IDM MOD BY ME , down pipe, 4 inch straight pipe, boost and EGT gauges,PRO COMP A/T's 305-70's, Bilstein's, ditched the k&n filter for an open element Baldwin PA 2818, kenwood & polk audio sound system.

2002 Excursion PSD 4x4 XLT Premium- BB Turbo , 6.0 IC, 8 inch Sky Jacker lift, FOX shocks with remotes, 35-12.50R17 BFG Muds mounted on 17x10 Boyd Coddington Billet wheels, ORU Frozen rotors, custom hybrid intake, DVD/2 monitors, Billet grill, XM radio, DP Tuner

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 07:28 PM

not new to this forum (it's been very helpful in the past year), but i am new to posting.

this thread has calmed my nerves a little! this summer i cut off my stock muffler to put a Walker BTM on it and liked the straight sound so much i've left the Walker off of it! man this thing sounds great! and the throttle response......i love it! i don't love the hissing sound that i have gotten for the past month or so (whenever it's cold out). this sound does pretty much suck....i have a 30 minute drive to work and i'm on and off the throttle trying to "kill" the hissing so i don't get funky looks from everybody i pass!

so, you guys say that this is normal? is the only remedy for this to unplug the sensor? would that hurt my truck?

Red 2000 Ford F-250 PSD 4x4--ext cab--6 speed man.--8 ft box--SuperChip tuned--straight exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in