Fighting Stalls and Hiccups - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fighting Stalls and Hiccups

So... I finally got my Exy where I want it (drive-train wise), and out of the blue, she starts randomly dying and giving me some 'hiccups' from time to time. The time frame is variable. It can get so bad its almost undrivable, then 10 minutes later, stop acting up and run like a champ for an hour or even a day.

I have been going thru the possible causes one at a time, starting with the low-hanging fruit, a new fuel filter. With no change in the issue, I next checked out the ICP sensor. Sure enough, there was oil in the plug. Changed it and it 'seemed' better at first, but maybe not. At any rate, it still hiccups badly sometime. At low speed, I seem to see a puff of white smoke out the exhause that sometimes accompanies the hiccup. Gotta be honest, I'm sure this is playing hell with my u-joints and pinion gear.

I don't have a clue what CPS is in the truck. I have a new purple one on the way. We have a big camping trip coming up (leaving next Saturday) , so I order a new IPR valve to boot. All sensors are genuine Ford. I have learned that aftermarket sometimes is junk when it comes to sensors. I went through the wiring harness with a fine-toothed comb. If there is a problem there, I could not find it.

My gut says IPR valve, with a strong 'maybe' on the CPS. I don't have access to any code reader except a $60 basic one. I have yet to scan codes, but my CEL has been on for a couple years now due to the chip.

I'm running outta time to work on this thing before our trip. Anybody got any ideas on other rocks I can look under?

Thanks!

Tim

02 Excursion -"The Big Unit"
7.3 Powerstroke, 8" lift, 37" Toyo Open Countrys
4"MBRP, DPTuner & BTS Equipped.
Full Force Stage 1.5 180/30 Injectors
Wicked Wheel II

Yup. It'll do...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Projects Page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 04:08 PM

What chip do you have? You might start by pulling it out and see if the problem is still there. If you could watch ipr duty cycle and icp pressure wile you have the problem that could help to point you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 F250 7.3 4inc exhaust, Ts 6 pos chip witch custom tunes, Built 4R100 w billet triple disc converter, 6.0 trans cooler and deep tans pan, CCV mod, 4 gauge pod A piller,Boost,Trans temp,EGT,fuel pressure AFE intake,RIFFRAFF Frx fuel Rail dead head fix black spring,High Flow banjo bolts,High Flow CVD Fitting, Harpoon mod,Diesel site adrenaline HPOP,AIH Plug,Plenum Reinforcing Inserts. FULL FORCE DIESEL STAGE 1.5 single shot injectors, Garrett powermax GTP38R and blank pedestal, RIFFRAFF Intercooler CAC Boots with complete clamp kit , scanegauge 2
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

I was afraid to remove chip with Single Shot injectors. I have a DPTuner chip (F5?)

Tim

Wicked Wheel II

Yup. It'll do...

My Projects Page:

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 09:00 PM

Check the Tin nut on the IPR. You might need a new IPR. A Scangauge II would be a worthwhile investment to help you see the ICP and IPR values when the problems happen. Did you cut the wiring back a ways when you relaced the ICP pigtail making sure to get back to good wiring?

2002 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L Lariat 2WD 131,000mi; 4in turbo back custom exhaust, Garrett GTP38R turbo, Riffraff intercooler boots, Dorman Up-Pipes, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, Scangauge II, ISSPRO EV2 Boost-EGT-Trans temp Gauges, DP T-5 Tuner (stock ,60HP tow, Decel, 60HP highway econo, 80HP city econo), Dieselsite coolant filtration, Max Air A/C mod, foglight mod, AIH delete, LED interior, back up camera, hid foglights.

I have AE if you are in San Diego area and need help. Send PM
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 09:48 PM

I will always suspect the CPS when experiencing such failures...It is easier to change it out if you've done it before.

Bob

2000 F350 4x4, AIS, 203F Tstat, SS EGR Tube
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 10:20 PM

New to these trucks but had a bad cps that came from the Ford parts counter questioned my research but warrantied it and all was good afterwords also mimicked my bad tps might sound stupid but they were very similar how it would die but always restart
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 12:11 AM

When is your new cps due to arrive? That is the first thing that I would try.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 240,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

New CPS (and IPR) are both in-hand. I got sidelined with a case of Vertigo on Monday, so I have not had a chance to install anything yet. I'm feeling better today, so I'll put in the new CPS tonight and take if for a test drive. If all is good, I'll leave the IPR in the glove-box till I get back from my trip. If that don't cure it, I'll let it cool down and put the IPR in on Friday morning.

Tim

Wicked Wheel II

Yup. It'll do...

My Projects Page:
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
New CPS (and IPR) are both in-hand. I got sidelined with a case of Vertigo on Monday, so I have not had a chance to install anything yet. I'm feeling better today, so I'll put in the new CPS tonight and take if for a test drive. If all is good, I'll leave the IPR in the glove-box till I get back from my trip. If that don't cure it, I'll let it cool down and put the IPR in on Friday morning.

Tim

Please post your results, nothing worse than following a forum post and never getting an answer to problem.

2002 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L Lariat 2WD 131,000mi; 4in turbo back custom exhaust, Garrett GTP38R turbo, Riffraff intercooler boots, Dorman Up-Pipes, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, Scangauge II, ISSPRO EV2 Boost-EGT-Trans temp Gauges, DP T-5 Tuner (stock ,60HP tow, Decel, 60HP highway econo, 80HP city econo), Dieselsite coolant filtration, Max Air A/C mod, foglight mod, AIH delete, LED interior, back up camera, hid foglights.

I have AE if you are in San Diego area and need help. Send PM
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleedog View Post

Please post your results, nothing worse than following a forum post and never getting an answer to problem.
Of course! Looks like CPS was it. It appears it was the original black one. I guess 16 years aint a bad run, eh?

New CPS installed, she fired right up, ran a 20 mile loop to a buddys house and back. Never missed a lick.

Thanks for the help guys!
Tim

Wicked Wheel II

Yup. It'll do...

My Projects Page:
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 12:39 AM

Thanks for the update. You said earlier that you had ordered the purple one. Could you post the part number of the one you put in and where you ordered it from?

Did you qualify for a new one via the recall back in 2008-9 time frame when Ford was forced to address this matter?

Let us know if the new CPS helps your mpg.

Does anybody know: Can they make a CPS so they just don't fail?

Bob

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 06:03 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertth View Post
Thanks for the update. You said earlier that you had ordered the purple one. Could you post the part number of the one you put in and where you ordered it from?

Did you qualify for a new one via the recall back in 2008-9 time frame when Ford was forced to address this matter?

Let us know if the new CPS helps your mpg.

Does anybody know: Can they make a CPS so they just don't fail?
16 Years is about as close to forever as one can hope for and this failure had nothing to do with the reason for the recall.

The Black was the BEST and offered the very smoothest out-of-the-box performance of any CPS model ever made.

You can still find them “New Old Stock” (NOS) on EBay for $80-$100 new in plastic package. Thats a darn good price for possibly the best single part to improve performance.

The Blue/Purple is supposed to be the next closest Motorcraft and the Grey is a distant third.

Your Ford Parts Counter is going to tell you that the Grey one is for your ‘97-‘03 7.3 but the Purple is better and for pre-‘97.5’ish.

I have 5 spare Black CPS to split between 2 trucks. If mine last even 10 years each then they are going to outlive me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28C9E8FC-13CC-4C7D-B981-9993E1D33AE6_1533895651767.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1,001.9 KB
ID:	125141  

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 08-10-2018 at 06:07 AM.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:40 AM

That F7TZ-12K073-A is the one that just failed on me at about 13 years.

Just wondering though: what was the issue with the recall if not that they were dying too soon and why is the new one used after the recall if it is not better than the black one?

Bob

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertth View Post
That F7TZ-12K073-A is the one that just failed on me at about 13 years.

Just wondering though: what was the issue with the recall if not that they were dying too soon and why is the new one used after the recall if it is not better than the black one?
Exactly, a few had apparently died too soon, potentially stalling the truck in traffic.

Any CPS that lasts more than 10 years has not died too soon.

It has lived a long & prosperous life.

All electrical sensors eventually fail and many of those failures occur while the vehicle is in operation, i.e. “in traffic”.

As for “Better”...there are various definitions.

Ford considers “Better” to mean one that results in fewer lawsuits at the cost of performance.

Many 7.3 owners consider “Better” to mean a CPS that makes their engine run smoothly, quietly, and with better fuel economy and performance (based on all of the various forum threads on the topic) even if it has a slightly higher risk of failure.

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:59 AM

Official Ford Safety Recall 07S57:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/200...7V553-4215.pdf

This article below includes the P/N you requested as well as more history:

https://deadheaddiesel.com/cam-posit...cps/#tab-con-7

SOLD:

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 08-10-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in