The Diesel Stop banner

Fuel Filter in fuel bowl

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  RT 
#1 ·
I started off with a question in “upgrades” and then realized i probably misunderstood the engine involved and it was probably a question related to my OEM fuel bowl.

Q. Is the OEM fuel filter in the fuel bowl sufficient to catch fine metal shavings if the hp fuel pump fails/ wears out internally?

And, are all if not most articles related to high $ repairs due to fuel pump failure, be non-7.3L psd motors?

Thanks

#2 ·
The 99-03 7.3 doesn't have a high-pressure fuel pump. It has a single lift pump inside the driver's side frame rail. It doesn't shed fine metal shavings when it fails, but even if it did, our filter would catch anything that would be harmful to a HEUI injector. The engines that have HPFPs that disintegrate and destroy the fuel systems are the 6.4 and 6.7 engines. The 7.3 DI and 6.0 use HEUI injectors. Previous engines used the good old injector pump.

#3 ·
Thanks for clearing that up for me RT ?

#4 ·
The good news is you have the best diesel engine ever put in a Ford - a million mile motor with decent maintenance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.