Fuel filters - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel filters

I have a stock 02 7.3. Not the one in my signature, this one is bone stock. I went to change the fuel filter and do a bowl rebuild, the drain leaks, so might as well. Great success with the Riffraff rebuild kit, except the filter. The filter they, and everyone else I try, provide is number PFF 4596. It is totally different and don't fit, and cant fit. It is a filter, with the black plastic square screen all attached together. Mine, is just a filter. THe square screen is part of the lid, and doesn't come apart, its molded all one piece. Also the lid O ring provided is wedge shaped, mine is flat and much wider, but a bit thinner. The number on my filter, the one I can't find is PF5419. Totally different. Can anyone direct me to a provider so I don't have to bend over for ford? If they even have it. SO odd I can't find it. Wonder if I have the old bowl off my signature truck. Hate to rebuild another bowl just because I can't find the filter for this one.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Wow, crickets. Guess everyone has the same issue I have, can't find one. Not sure why this bowl is a rare one. No one even gets a cross reference for this filter. Only one available is the one with the black plastic screen attached. Gonna try ford today, couldn't find my old bowl off my signature truck.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:24 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Absolute,
Any chance you typed a number wrong? I cannot find a PF5419 using Google search.

The PFF4596 is a Racor filter. Racor makes quality filters:

https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/oem-fuel-filter-99-03/

This wedge design o-ring (gasket) is a “tried & true” design and nothing to worry about. It has a 5-star rating with 81 Reviews.

It is the proper filter for a 2002 7.3PSD so if it doesn’t fit then something strange is going on because your rebuild kit fit your fuel bowl, right?

If you can find a different P/N then I can help you search.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
Wow, crickets. Guess everyone has the same issue I have, can't find one. Not sure why this bowl is a rare one. No one even gets a cross reference for this filter. Only one available is the one with the black plastic screen attached. Gonna try ford today, couldn't find my old bowl off my signature truck.
You posted while I was responding.

If the Racor does not fit then the Ford Motorcraft will not fit. They are the same OEM dimension.

EDIT:
I just found the Racor has been the manufacturer of Motorcraft fuel filters.

Maybe you can hold them up for comparison without taking any plastic wrap off right at the Ford Parts counter before dropping the Loonies.

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 04-20-2019 at 07:03 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

THe filter part,( meaning the paper filter) is identical, as is the rest of the bowl. The 4596 is a filter like I have, with a black plastic piece around it, with square holes and a thin screen type filter over square holes. On mine, that part is part of the lid, its not part of the filter. So everything is identical, except the filter on mine does not come with the plastic part. I would need a new lid with out the plastic to use this filter.Or any other I can find. 5419 is the number, is printed on the filter, same spot as the new one with the 4596 number. The difference is the lid. My lid has a screen attached, everyone elses does not have the screen attached, the screen comes with the filter. Not sure how this truck got this set up. Its totally stock from Texas. The Bowl is identical to the drawing provided with the rebuild kit, except the lid. Drawing lid has no screen obviously. Tried to take the new filter off the screen part, but its molded together, no go. I now have a dead work truck, I already cut the filter to inspect it, so have nothing to put back in. Gonna take the old filter to ford, see if they can match it, if not , guess i'm ordering a new lid to work with the filter. The wedge gasket wont work either. Its the right diameter, but does not fit the seat it sits in. It has to be flat like the stock one.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Well, I may have found one, but its too far away. So again have to check ford. Rock Auto has several brands including OEM. One of the OEM ones they have are a filter with the lid, then they have the 4596 style, and the 4596 style with separate lid kit. So I think the filter with lid is the one like mine were the screen is part of the lid, not filter. Picture isn't clear so can't really tell unless I call them. Shipping time keeps my truck out for too long, so still going to ford for either a filter or lid. Either will solve my issue. Lid is probably better since I wont go threw this again. I just hope they have the lid with all the pockets on top, and not the dome with plastic bolt top. Had that on my signature truck before my fass system, the nut stripped on the first change, nightmare getting it off , destroyed it. Piece of junk.Bought the fass system. The pocket style is niece, you can use the outer pockets to undo it with lots of torque, no mangling it.

Last edited by Absolute; 04-20-2019 at 07:42 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Lol. Bit of an update. I contacted Riffraff about the kit to see if they could help find this filter. Got a speedy reply, thank you, but the info was a bit baffling. They said that the OEM filter will not work with my aftermarket Chinese lid. Hahaha. Unfortunately, I have owned this truck since it left the dealers show room. An it is 100% stock, and I have never changed the lid or the O ring on the lid. The filters used to be available and I used to get them without incident. Hadn't used this truck for years, no more than 1000 miles a year on it. Now I can't find them and apparently my truck came from factory with aftermarket parts on it?????????????

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:35 AM

Yep.

A new OEM lid will set you free.

That link to RiffRaff in my earlier post had a Motorcraft lid for $16 USD.

To be honest, that old lid you had with the outer mesh being a single molded piece sounds like a bad design because the outer mesh is the water seperator and the chemical applied to it would have long since worn out.

Basically, you would be left with a fuel filter but no longer a water seperator if I understand your description.

SOLD:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

I ended up getting a new lid from ford. I wont tell you the price. lol

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
Absolute,
Any chance you typed a number wrong? I cannot find a PF5419 using Google search.

The PFF4596 is a Racor filter. Racor makes quality filters:

https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/oem-fuel-filter-99-03/

This wedge design o-ring (gasket) is a “tried & true” design and nothing to worry about. It has a 5-star rating with 81 Reviews.

It is the proper filter for a 2002 7.3PSD so if it doesn’t fit then something strange is going on because your rebuild kit fit your fuel bowl, right?

If you can find a different P/N then I can help you search.

I used the Racor filter, wedge gasket, OEM style lid on mine without any problems on my 7.3. It's gone now, still have a spare filter kit w/ lid sitting in storage. Maybe I'll find a home for it one day.

2001 F-250 XLT 4X2, 7.3L, 4R100, 158,000 miles
Cat ELC, ScanGauge II, SC 1705, Dahl fuel filter
Dieselsite transmission and coolant filters
Hawk LTS pads, Ford Severe Duty AIS, Isspro EV2 gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in