Fuse Panel Circuit board burnt, why? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuse Panel Circuit board burnt, why?

Truck started making a quiet pop sound and then cut out both as I was driving and idling. Came on suddenly and eventually got to the point sometimes that it wouldn't start. Shop pulled codes, bad IDM. Replaced but still had intermittent stalls. If it died while driving, it would start right back up....very strange. Finally it blew a couple fuses and then the PCM diode. This led the mechanic to take a look at the fuse panel. The attached photo is what was found. New panel and truck seems 100%, runs great. No codes. My question is, what caused this ? How do I know if it will or could happen again? I attached a photo of the board. 2002 Excursion 7.3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Panel Board.jpg
Views:	1035
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	70785  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 12:41 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
I would venture to say that there was an overload somewhere. I expected to see corrosion on your picture, but there was basically none of that. I would track down which circuit that was and investigate everything connected to it to make sure there isn't a short.

That trace could be repaired by soldering in a jumper wire. But finding the cause of the overload would be good to do even if you don't plan on reinstalling the old fuse panel.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

I am really concerned that this will happen again sometime down the road if I don't locate what happened. As far as corrosion, they saw on evidence of water damage anywhere and the whole panel is clean except where the damage is. There is the circuit in the photo and another that has less damage.

The shop replaced the fuse box with a new one already, I have the old one. I have found schematics that show fuse identifications but nothing that shows the PC Board, and ideas?

The IDM was bad, could that have created an overload?

One weird thing, I have an aftermarket stereo and amp for years and since install, when I start the truck it whines until I turn volume up super high, then stops. Shop thought it was the amp heading combination. Funny thing is that with this new fuse panel the whine has stopped occuring.

Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 09:53 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
I would suspect the aftermarket stuff before the IDM. If the extra loads are connected downstream of that burnt fuse box trace, that might have done it.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 08:57 PM

I've just recently been troubleshooting a pickup that did this. Did you find anything else wrong or has it acted up since?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in