HELP! 2003 F250 SD 7.3 manual 6spd no power after 20 minutes driving - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! 2003 F250 SD 7.3 manual 6spd no power after 20 minutes driving

Hey ALL,

been a minute since we have been on here but stuck at the moment.

Thanks for All the help ahead of time. Started out yesterday evening
towards the church which is about a 28 minute ride and after about 20 minutes
i noticed a loss in power in which the truck was at 20mph with 2200 rpm and the pedal
to the floor. Codes with AE are P0475 and earlier P1247 with a reading of a low turbo boost.
The link below is exactly what it did and i got a lift home on a roll back. The youtube never answers
what it was just some thoughts from others. WE cleared codes today and ran it again and
after 21 minutes it started losing power and chugging again and made it home. WE changed the map sensor this afternoon just for kicks and cleared codes this evening and ran it for 21 minutes and started chugging again. Just changed CPS on Saturday as it felt sluggish then. It is not throwing
a check engine light. Definitely need to change out the screens as we haven't done that yet. So doing that this weekend. If you have had this happen in the past can you let us know what you did to correct. Thanks so much! Appreciate The Help!

ADD IN: IT WAS BLOWING OUT SOME BLUE SMOKE ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY ALSO Before IT STARTED ACTING UP.

Last edited by saltypop; 03-19-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:45 PM

Whats the fuel level at? Did you try to add fuel. Oil level good? Good flow to the fuel bowl?

2002 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L Lariat 2WD 131,000mi; 4in turbo back custom exhaust, Garrett GTP38R turbo, Riffraff intercooler boots, Dorman Up-Pipes, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, Scangauge II, ISSPRO EV2 Boost-EGT-Trans temp-Fuel pressure Gauges, DP T-5 Tuner (stock ,60HP tow, Decel, 60HP highway econo, 80HP city econo), Dieselsite coolant filtration, Max Air A/C mod, foglight mod, AIH delete, LED interior, back up camera, hid foglights.

I have AE if you are in San Diego area and need help. Send PM
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:24 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
20 mph @ 2200 rpm?
Were you in granny gear?
I'd agree that you should check fuel delivery.

Here's your codes:
P0475 Exhaust Pressure Backpressure Valve Malfunction - Possibly getting a signal to close when it shouldn't. Maybe a short between circuits.
P1247 Turbo Boost Pressure Low - could be caused by the EBP closing.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Fuel was at full tank when this started yesterday, Oil is good, Flow to the bowl is good.
Thanks so much!

Last edited by saltypop; 03-19-2019 at 10:29 PM.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

hey Kevin,

was in 4th gear 20 mph 2200 was at 75 before it dropped and was in 5th and shifted all the way down to
2nd before i pulled off. Checked fuel to the bowl and that part is good. Dave and i have been doing some research
and he was thinking the valve was closing when it shouldn't as well. Which circuits or what needs to be changed out to make it stay open when it is supposed to. Thanks so much!

It was blowing out some blue smoke before all of this started.

Last edited by saltypop; 03-19-2019 at 10:32 PM. Reason: need to add more
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Hey Kevin the code on AE was also reading Exhaust Pressure Control Valve does that help?
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:08 AM

Maybe try unplugging the exhaust back pressure sensor and test.

2002 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L Lariat 2WD 131,000mi; 4in turbo back custom exhaust, Garrett GTP38R turbo, Riffraff intercooler boots, Dorman Up-Pipes, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, Scangauge II, ISSPRO EV2 Boost-EGT-Trans temp-Fuel pressure Gauges, DP T-5 Tuner (stock ,60HP tow, Decel, 60HP highway econo, 80HP city econo), Dieselsite coolant filtration, Max Air A/C mod, foglight mod, AIH delete, LED interior, back up camera, hid foglights.

I have AE if you are in San Diego area and need help. Send PM
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:49 AM
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltypop View Post
Hey Kevin the code on AE was also reading Exhaust Pressure Control Valve does that help?
You have AE? I forgot that little fact when we were talking. OK - set it up to read IC pressure, IPR duty cycle, RPM, throttle position, MAP, and EBP. Anything else you want. Take it for a drive. When it starts acting up, hit record and get about a minutes worth of data. Then send it to me or post it. Maybe we can rule out some stuff.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Hey Dave, you talked me into in 2015 when we changed injectors.
just saw this and will do this when i get back in this evening.
Changed the fan and fan clutch today as well as
as the EBP Sensor and Tube as well. Drove it and it started acting up at 12 minutes
today 3rd gear and 20 mph at 2200 rpm's. It shut down once i got back into the neighborhood then
it sat for 3 minutes and fired up and had boost again and got it home. So back to the drawing board.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Just ran codes from earlier run: P0475 still shows up saying Exhaust Pressure Control Valve
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltypop View Post
Just ran codes from earlier run: P0475 still shows up saying Exhaust Pressure Control Valve
Try unplugging the EBP solenoid at the base of the turbo pedestal. That will prevent the electrics from closing the valve (short or otherwise). The two wires to the solenoid are Grey/red (powered from the PCM) and Black/white (ground). They are bundled together to go thru the 42 pin connector and to the PCM. IIRC, the PCM sends a pulsed voltage to the solenoid to close the EBPV. If the grey/red wire gets shorted to either a 5V or 12V signal, it'll slam the EBP shut. Might be a bugger to track down an intermittent short between circuits though.

Hope you can get it figured out.
Dave's suggestion of recording parameters with AE makes a lot of sense.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Kevin! WE ran diagnostics this evening on AE. Hopefully we will know something by tomorrow! Appreciate the help!
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:52 AM
RT

So, this is the recording we made last night. Tried to record everything that could affect the EBPV or be affected by the EBPV. If you notice, the EBP never strays above a couple of points above MAP which is normal. The EPBV duty cycle never comes off of zero. Engine oil temperature is reasonable and never abruptly changes. Same with IAT. What does happen, right at the 9:46:23 time, is the IPR duty cycle spikes without a correlating increase in IC pressure. That tells me the IPR solenoid lost its grip on the IPR valve. So the plan is to test a new IPR solenoid on the truck this morning and see what happens.
Attached Files
File Type: xls saltypop.xls (242.0 KB, 6 views)

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 01:28 PM

Yep, I agree. The IPR signal isn't being responded to correctly.
There were a few earlier momentary spikes as well. There is a possibility it's an issue with the ICP signal as well. Maybe an intermittent short that's caused by heat from the engine. Might try a run with the ICP unplugged if the IPR solenoid changeout doesn't do the trick.

Another instance where AE pays off.

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:26 PM
RT

We should be so lucky. New IPR didnít help. Heís made separate runs with every sensor unplugged one by one. No change. Still could be fuel pressure. IPR will spike when fuel pressure dips, but I would have expected IC pressure to come up as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in