The Diesel Stop banner

((((HELP ASAP PLEASE))) Truck is TOTALLY DEAD

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  ArcticDriver 
#1 ·
Hi, i'm in a real bind here. I have a 2001 F550 4X4 flatbed Tow Truck and i was replacing my glow plug solenoid and my ratchet hit one of the small wires on the solenoid and sparked. i went in the truck to start it after i was done putting it in and i heard a really fast clicking noise at the fuse box. i opened it up an the very top small relay was the one clicking. i replaced it and it still clicking. the truck is TOTALLY DEAD no power to anything. I checked ALL the fuses under dash and under hood they are all good. both batt are at 12. 9 volts. what would kill the whole truck like this. is there a main fuse somewhere? I really need to get this going tonight. it's gonna rain all day tomorrow and this is my only Tow Truck for my business. If someone can help me out i'll buy you a case of beer or a bottle of Jack, i'm not kidding here. i'll be up ALL night working on this so if you want to call here's my number. 602-290-0313 my name is Paul. I will post when i'm going to bed.

#2 ·
when i got the truck in july 2015 it would lose all electrical power for a split sec and shut off. the power would come back on and i'd push the clutch in and restart it and be on my. i scanned the truck and it came back glow plug solenoid bad so i put a volt meter on it. When i turned the key on when the light was on for the glow plugs i got no voltage. The truck should of never run if there is no voltage on the glow plug side of it. so i replaced it and then i got 12 volts. The truck never died again that was back in sept. Since then i put 2000 mi on the truck and today it died again. i put volt meter on the glow plug side of the solenoid and no voltage. so i got a new one again and then dummy me didn't disconnect the batt, i was in a rush to get this done. i'm so pissed at myself.

#3 ·
You may have toasted one of the fusible links going to the GPR, which would eliminate power to everything downstream of that. It may have also partially burnt a connection making it a high resistance that would reduce voltage to the fuse box, causing the clicking relay. I would go thru it and check that your connections are in good shape. Start checking voltage at the batteries and follow the wires till you get no voltage, then back up. Your problem will be between where you have voltage and where you don't.

#4 ·
Double check your fuses bud. With a test light or volt meter. Those little metal spots on the top of every fuse are for this purpose. I would imagine you blew the pcm fuse. This is a best case scenario. Unfortunately the pcm usually grounds a relay to turn something on. You have POSSIBLY sent battery voltage into the pcm. Which CAN damage it.

#7 ·
Hi, KLHansen is dead on. Follow the wires a few inches back and look for the fusible links. They will look like a high quality splice job. You may have to open the extruded plastic loom to find them.
If all else seems to work electrically in the truck and you are in a pinch to get it running for a job, you could pull the relay and jump the posts for about fifteen seconds and then quickly try to start it.

#9 ·
Follow the hot wire on the gp relay down into the loom.

#11 ·
The use the links because they very seldom get blown. Anytime you are working on a live circuit you should really disconnect the ground wires off of the batteries so that you don't do this.

Now on to your problem.

Start at the battery with a volt meter and then follow the wires to the next terminal and check the voltage there and keep following the wires until you don't get any voltage. They you have found the section with the link in it.

#13 ·
I called Bill Hewitt at POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners & Mechanics and he told me it sounded like i popped one of the 3 relays behind the dash just below the radio to the left. It's where the plug is for the Brake control plug is. I changed all 3 and when i turned the key the dash lit up. You can not imagine the relief i felt when that happened. If i lived in the Atlanta area i would of drove over to his shop and kissed the man. If you haven't been to his website he has a lot of Great video's for Dummy's like me.

#15 ·
I bet he is relieved you don't live in Atlanta :winking:

Thats great news you got it fixed and that you shared the results on here for the next guy.

As I get older I have really learned to listen to that little voice that says, "Hey, don't take shortcuts".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.