Higher EGT than normal - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Higher EGT than normal

Hello Gents,

I have a good question about my EGTís. Since the new engine install, my EGTís really havenít went above 650-675 and that was climbing a pretty good grade and a few miles at that grade, at about 50-55 mph.

Today, I was heading to Breckinridge and I was on pretty flat land. I noticed my EGTís were at 712 and I was running about 65. At that speed, they are usually around 450-475. Sometimes 500. I first noticed that my oil temp was at 210 and wasnít dropping any. I was up in the highlands and the outside temp was pretty cool. Around 60-65 degrees.

What I did today that I havenít done since the new engine install, was I added diesel Klein to the fuel. Would the diesel Kleen make the EGTís run higher?

I ended up pulling over in FairPlay and I took the red vacuum line off the EBVP as I remember reading here somewhere that if it was stuck closed, that would help to possibly open it. When I arrived in Breckinridge, I looked under the hood again and noticed the green line wasnít in the tube come from the air filter. I put the back in the black tube and also put the red one back where it belonged.

What I did notice after I disconnect the red vac tube, going up grade, the EGTís went up to about 712 again but when I would give it more fuel, they came down to like 685-690.

Iím curious to hear what this could be.

2002 F-350 CC Lariat SRW 4x4 7.3 auto trans, Flat bed, 160cc single shots, infinity mini, 60hp tow, 60hp daily, 80hp daily. Stock exhaust.

1997 F-150 supercab 3 door XLT stepside 4x4 4.6L V8 auto trans 4" lift (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 10:50 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

I don’t think fuel additive is causing these EGT changes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 08:57 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
What kind of gage will tell you 712*, seems like an odd but very precise number...

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), trans cooler bypass delete by accident, rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
Jayco 26BHS elite, no RV parks...just the woods if possible.
See my album for a recent pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:19 PM

EGT Normal?

Cellfisha, your equipment signature is incomplete. Is your pyrometer mounted pre or post turbo and do you have a stock or modified exhaust system? Most people here have their pyrometer mounted pre turbo, right in the exhaust manifold but there are still a few that mounted them post turbo. Two different critera. So, in order to answer your question one would have to know, not assume, pyrometer mounting position and details about your exhaust. For instance my system, I mounted my pyrometer pre turbo right in the DS exhaust manifold and have stock pipes but opened it up on the back end with a non restrictive BTM muffler..

2002 F250 7.3L PSD, bought new now at 226K miles, 4R100 Auto, Crew Cab, Short Bed, ITP Regulated Fuel Return system, ITP head to head SS oil cross over, Hutch in tank mod
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneof6 View Post
Cellfisha, your equipment signature is incomplete. Is your pyrometer mounted pre or post turbo and do you have a stock or modified exhaust system? Most people here have their pyrometer mounted pre turbo, right in the exhaust manifold but there are still a few that mounted them post turbo. Two different critera. So, in order to answer your question one would have to know, not assume, pyrometer mounting position and details about your exhaust. For instance my system, I mounted my pyrometer pre turbo right in the DS exhaust manifold and have stock pipes but opened it up on the back end with a non restrictive BTM muffler..
My pyrometer is pre turbo. Itís mounted the same place yours is. I have stock exhaust system.

2002 F-350 CC Lariat SRW 4x4 7.3 auto trans, Flat bed, 160cc single shots, infinity mini, 60hp tow, 60hp daily, 80hp daily. Stock exhaust.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach1377 View Post
What kind of gage will tell you 712*, seems like an odd but very precise number...
Well, mine is at the moment. Not that itís correct. It doesnít start out at 712, but works itís way there. Doesnít stay at 712 the entire time, so thereís definitely a problem.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
I donít think fuel additive is causing these EGT changes.
Hey ArcticDriver. I didnít have a EGT hooked up till I had the newer engine installed, so I never knew what it was doing before. Iíve always used the fuel additive in the truck. Just didnít put any in since I had the newer 7.3 installed. Just sorta freaked me out because this didnít start till I added the additive and started making my way up into the mountains. Maybe I need to check my pyro and see if it has moved from itís original location.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellfisha View Post
I took the red vacuum line off the EBVP as I remember reading here somewhere that if it was stuck closed, that would help to possibly open it. When I arrived in Breckinridge, I looked under the hood again and noticed the green line wasn’t in the tube come from the air filter. I put the back in the black tube and also put the red one back where it belonged.
FYI:

Those tubes are not the EBPV controls, and they are not vacuum lines.

They are the turbo wastegate controls, that connect through the wastegate solenoid control valve. It allows the PCM to control/limit the turbo speed and boost by either: Letting boost signal go to the wastegate actuator diaphragm (which opens the wastegate), OR, venting the boost signal to the intake, which keeps the gate closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WGC Diagram.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	125610  

Al in SoCal
AFE Intake; Garrett 38R; DieselSite Turbine Jacket
HPS Hi-Temp CAC Boots; Banks Big IC, Banks Engine Brake
External Oil cooler & Remote filter; Stealth 4-line Twin HPOP, Melling LPOP
Swamp's: 160cc/30% Injectors & HVHF IDM; DP-Tuner F5; Fluidamper Balancer
Custom Full Reg.-return Fuel System, Pre-& Post-pump filtration
Mishimoto Radiator & Exp. Tank; T444 Water Pump w/Filtration
Bellowed S/S Up-pipes; 4" Turbo-back Custom Exhaust into Twin Stacks
SouthBend D-D Clutch; ZF 6-spd w/CoreShifters Short-throw Stick
GearVendors O/U Drive

Last edited by Calico5; 10-02-2018 at 11:51 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico5 View Post
FYI:

Those tubes are not the EBPV controls, and they are not vacuum lines.

They are the turbo wastegate controls, that connect through the wastegate solenoid control valve. It allows the PCM to control/limit the turbo speed and boost by either: Letting boost signal go to the wastegate actuator diaphragm (which opens the wastegate), OR, venting the boost signal to the intake, which keeps the gate closed.
Thank you for the correction. 😀

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 08:25 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellfisha View Post
Well, mine is at the moment. Not that it’s correct. It doesn’t start out at 712, but works it’s way there. Doesn’t stay at 712 the entire time, so there’s definitely a problem.
Seriously, what brand and style?

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), trans cooler bypass delete by accident, rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
Jayco 26BHS elite, no RV parks...just the woods if possible.
See my album for a recent pic.

Last edited by 69mach1377; 10-04-2018 at 09:02 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 08:50 AM

Thanks for clearing up the pre or post turbo pyrometer positioning. Your EGT's don't seem excessive compared to mine but admittedly we don't have mountains or grades to compare to Colorado in Alabama where I live. You could lower your EGTs by installing a non restrictive muffler like a BTM, the stock muffler is very restrictive not allowing straight line flow out. My EGTs at 5 PSI boost, 2000 RPM, unloaded 70 mph on flat interstate highway are 700. But they might go higher going up a slight grade in traffic at 40, engine lugging a bit before auto kick down. So there are many variables that effect EGT but what you report does not seem unusual.

2002 F250 7.3L PSD, bought new now at 226K miles, 4R100 Auto, Crew Cab, Short Bed, ITP Regulated Fuel Return system, ITP head to head SS oil cross over, Hutch in tank mod
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneof6 View Post
Thanks for clearing up the pre or post turbo pyrometer positioning. Your EGT's don't seem excessive compared to mine but admittedly we don't have mountains or grades to compare to Colorado in Alabama where I live. You could lower your EGTs by installing a non restrictive muffler like a BTM, the stock muffler is very restrictive not allowing straight line flow out. My EGTs at 5 PSI boost, 2000 RPM, unloaded 70 mph on flat interstate highway are 700. But they might go higher going up a slight grade in traffic at 40, engine lugging a bit before auto kick down. So there are many variables that effect EGT but what you report does not seem unusual.
Something has changed. Not sure what but Iím going to get it figured out. My truck seems to be a lot different than yours. At 70 mph my boost might be 2.3-2.5 psi at 1900. I try to keep it at 2000 rpms or less to save on fuel.

Right after the new to me engine was installed, I could climb the same grades and drive the same roads and things were very different. Climbing the mountain pass, EGT was never over 700 and driving flatland, they were never more than 500. That was not pulling anything. Crew cab was loaded with tools, but nothing on the flatbed.

Iíll keep yall posted on my findings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in