I need help! I must have done something wrong on the procedure to change transmission fluid. - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Update: to everyone, especially Mark—thank you!

•Got rebuild kit for by-pass pressure relief valve
•Rebuilt valve—it was a snap/very easy
•By-pass tube, banjo bolts lined up perfect
•Assemble snug-finger tight- per specs-24 ft.lbs.
•Hooked up latex hose to return line & ran test
•Fluid pumping through hose- no leaks at banjo
•Bought cheap dexron 3 to refill for start point
•Drained pan, add 7 qts Mobil 1-
•Pump out 1-1/2 gal. while Shift through all gears
•Pour in 6 qts. Mobil 1 - pump out 1-1/2 gal.
•Add 6 qts. Mobil 1 Check level - was on dipstick

PERFECT!! Just like you said Mark.

Tomorrow I’m taking out the OEM cooler and installing 6.0 cooler and spin on external filter.
Then I’ll recheck fluid level, run truck on road and check again.

Procedure works very slick! I probably didn’t need to test by-pass first but I was a little jumpy after dumping ATF all over my shop floor...Lol
Mark Kovalsky likes this.

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8 Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Couple things that might help someone first time:

4R100 fill tube is at a very shallow angle and I found tedious pouring in ATF slowly even with transmission funnel — I bought a larger funnel that a 1/2” latex hose would fit over spout, ran long latex hose down fill tube 10”, suspended funnel from engine hood with vice grips and s- hook (welding rod) towards front of the truck—- think “IV” pole” . Very easy to get to as I had the truck on jack stands. Could dump whole quart in quickly, fluid went in slow due to restriction of funnel spout/ and hose.

As procedure is based on measurements in (qts.) and out (approx. 1-1/2 gallons) I took a 2 gallon pail befor I started, found the line of Point where 1-1/2 gallon would fill. Took a welding rod and bent a loop in the middle and bent the ends down again (forming a big paper clip) that hung on inside of pail. When fluid reached loop - exactly 1-1/2 gallon. After each start/stop pull clip off small 2 gallon pail, dump into larger bucket, rehang clip on pail and ready for next start up, transfer of fluid.

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8 Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:00 AM

I have bookmarked this thread for future reference....Thanks

2001 F250 CC 4x4 7.3
  • ATS Exhaust
  • Riffraff Intake
  • PHP Hydra Chip
  • 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country R/T
  • Access Bed Cover
  • 05-07 Harley Headlights with Morimoto 55w D2S 5.0 Projectors / 80mm RGB Halos / RGB Demon Eyes / Morimoto Bluetooth Controller / Yellow LED Strip / Switchback LED Turn signal
  • Raptor Style Grill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Pooh-Bah View Post
I have bookmarked this thread for future reference....Thanks
Note: Be sure to find Marks Kovalsky’s original write up for changing fluid in the 4R100 if you haven’t already seen it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in