I think it's the IDM... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

View Poll Results: Am I on the right track?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Maybe so 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb I think it's the IDM...

Hello folks, bout ready to bite the bullet and get a either a reman or new IDM. --------2001 4x4 Automatic F250 7.3 IDI w/ over 400K Miles---------

I am getting high to low side open codes (P1271 through P1278) as well as the bank codes (P1293,P1294)

I performed a continuous memory test and got P1316

I have rebuilt all injectors

I have installed new glow plugs / GPR

I have installed new IPR

I have installed new ICP as well as cleaned the connected tube

I have rebuilt my Turbo /w new Compressor wheel as well as installed TurboMaster Wastegate Controller

Oil was changed 4 months ago (I use Rotella T)

Reasons are as follows:

Truck will start fine BUT on first start of the day it will chug untill I press on the fuel pedal to level her out

I ohmd the IDM cable and all injector solenoids were in spec at 3.4 to 3.5

I ohmd the valve cover connectors to check the glow plugs and they were in spec

INTERESTING NOTES:::

- I obviously have SES light on because of injector codes, it stays on when I'm idling and driving. HOWEVER when I'm driving, say on the highway doing 60, and I let my foot all the way off the fuel pedal, the SES light will go out untill I drop back into 2nd or first gear ( about 30mph on my tach) Then the SES comes back.

-Once the truck is started it sounds fine. It does seem to be lacking power. When I punch the fuel pedal I will blow black smoke out the exhaust(could be normal for an older truck with over 400k miles) But once I am "up to speed" the smoke thins out considerably (can barely see any, but it's still there)

-Anytime I brake or go from park to drive, drive to reverese, there is a very noticable drop in rpm/power (i'm chalking this up to age but...)

-When I took my IDM out one of the corner bolts was all rusted up. The board inside actually had some rust on it. But it didn't appear to spread to any of the resistors, capacitors, or other doo hickies inside.
There was a considerable amount of white powder coating everything, I've included some pics

-No I do not have access to all yer fancy testing tools. I got a multimeter. I didn't bother checking fuel pressure since I'm obviously getting enough with the black smoke(or maybe I don't understand smoke signals???)

ANY AND ALL INSIGHT/INSULTS ARE WELCOME!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191012_155029.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	128056  

Name:	20191012_162617.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	128058  

Last edited by ItchiBon717; 10-12-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 08:51 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
"I have installed new ICP as well as cleaned the connected tube"
There's no connecting tube on the ICP, but there is on the EBP sensor. Is that what you meant?

If it runs, the IDM is probably OK, but the corrosion residue may cause enough voltage leakage to make it throw those codes you're getting. What I would do is carefully clean the residue out of the inside (maybe with some contact cleaner) and see what happens then.

Are you getting any codes other than the ones you posted?

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeh that's what I meant. Too many damn acronyms for me.

I get a code for the EBPV but that's because of the delete.

I cleaned off most of the residue but it sounded the same on startup.

I'll clear the codes tomorrow and test again but I don't think anything changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 08:26 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Yup. They don't like moisture getting inside.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Same symptoms, chugging at start

Cleared codes, they come back

Another thing that might tell a person with greater experience than me... Sometimes not all the injectors will have a code, sometimes only 1 bank will throw a code, and again sometimes they all throw a code

If it ain't the nasty lookin IDM, would new valve cover gaskets be it? But by ohming from the IDM pigtail, doesn't that verify wiring to injectors are good? They did measure at 3.4-3.5 which is high but in range.

Does the SES light disappearing after letting off the fuel pedal say anything?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Jesus lord help me!

I know what the damn problem is!

Problem is I'm dumbest som***** walkin the planet.

Once I've verified everything is working I'll report back to yall.

Prepare to let the insults fly
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 05:13 PM

We're waiting with baited breath.

I'm not going to insult you. I don't think there's anyone on here that hasn't made a bonehead mistake.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

So the problem was I i had my spacers mixed up.

- The center armature/poppet screw had 1x .002 spacer and 1x .003 spacer

- The solenoid screws had 2x .002 spacers

So the solenoids were making contact with that center armature

My thought process for checking this was: Since I am getting random codes for my injectors/banks, sometimes all of em sometimes half of em, that was telling me it wasn't something or some part had failed, but rather there must me something shorting out(metal on metal that shouldn't be touching)

I also took into consideration the higher ohm reading I got from the IDM pigtail. Now I'm no expert when it comes to electric flow, but my thought was "Maybe because the solenoids could be touching the armature plate, its getting more ground than it should, causing higher ohm readings?" Well I checked what the ohm was after putting everything back to together and they all checked at 2.9 down from 3.4-3.5

Maybe my reasonings are incorrect, but it did lead me to check my solenoids, which in turn, lead me to fix my spacer problem.

I'm hoping we can all take something from this lesson, I know I did
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 07:09 PM
RT

How does it run now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Runs like a top, brother. no codes

Bonnie is good to go!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191007_100144.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	516.0 KB
ID:	128084  

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 11:34 PM

Cool!

Thanks for the followup.

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:16 PM

Good catch. I was going to suggest your issue is voltage leakdown. The injectors fire by opening and closing via the solenoid (which you probably already knew), and if there is not enough current due to high resistance, they may not be fully firing, not injecting enough or too much fuel, causing your smoke issues and SES light. Reason it goes out when coasting is because the engine defuels when engine braking, so no current is applied to the injectors.

You obviously found the culprit that was to be my suggestion.

DD 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 EB
Tow Baby, 2012 F350 King Ranch SRW SB. Rolling Thunder III
Sold due to neglect
U.S.N. Paradise BB91904 '99 F350 CC LWB DRW
Mods, SuperHyper Improbability drive stage II.
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in