IDM time - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IDM time

Can anyone suggest a reputable source for a stock IDM? I've done the local parts store, and after a month on the road it's dropping half the engine at WOT. I'm not looking for a higher voltage IDM, or to increase performance with it, just for reliability. At 216 k miles, boosting one part of the engine might well lead to losing another...

Thanks for any help you can give.

99.5 F250 7.3 PSD Supercab Shortbed 4x4 on 315 75 16s
Front leveling springs, Hutch and Harpoon mods, A pillar 3 gauge pod with DiPricol Trans, Boost and EGT, Scangauge II, CNC Fab HPOP and HPX lines, Riffraff FRX, 2004 Heated and Lighted mirrors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 10:29 AM
RT

Send one of your IDMs to : Ford 7.3 IDM Repair | Circuit Board Medics

They will upgrade the internals with higher quality parts. Also, when you have your IDM off, do the tests outlined here:

GB Remanufacturing - Tech Bulletin #103

This will ensure you don't have something else going on that could affect the IDM.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 07:24 AM

I needed an IDM for a 2001 PSD 7.3 2 weeks ago.

Called the Circuit Board Medics. 2 weeks ago they told me that the test equipment for the IDM needed was out of service. They also do not refinish the old case. Mine did not look great after over 10 years in the wheel well!

Tousley had the best price. Just under $600. for a new one, plus shipping and I believe a $100. core charge on top of that. List is about $930. I was told.

You can also get rebuilt units all over the place. Ebay....etc. for under $300.

The hardest part is removing the old and hard plastic wheel well liner. And then putting it back in with all the fasteners lining up properly.

My new IDM fixed my no start issue. The old IDM went out with little to no warning. Stalled. Restarted a few times for a short period. The funny thing was that I first thought is might be the CPS as mine was still the original CPS with over 138k. I installed a new CPS and it ran ok but not great for about 20 miles. After shutting it down it stranded me again. The codes pointed to the IDM and that was what it was. It seems like the truck now gets 2 mpg more. But that is probably me just driving easier!

After a few tanks of fuel I will know for sure.

MARCSPSD 2001 PSD Excursion 7.3 4x4 (still looks and runs as new)
Ford had some great paint back then. Anyone know if the newer trucks have better or worse paint jobs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in